Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

___Well, my little garden is poisoned; the landlord & gang showed up out of the blue yesterday & started scraping the paint off the side of the house. This house was built in the 40's as housing for the Vancouver WA Kaiser shipyard workers & is full of lead based paint. (Probably asbestos is the plaster too!)

___My roomates are really mad now & unlike me who shys from conflict, they have contacted the authorities & an EPA guy is coming down from Seattle tomorrow. We may have to ecacuate right away!

___Good grief! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

___Just because my garden is dead doesn't mean your garden doesn't matter. How's those cacti Orby? Tormod I know your on vacation so Yvonne isn't planting the deck yet. Who was palnning melons? Are they in yet?

___I did make a new box out of some recycled redwood for my bonsai, a Cypress. It is in new leaf production & this year I am not going to prune now as I have the last several years. It occured to me the tree may be old enough to bloom & fruit now, and repotting is rather a severe shock as well. I note that the ongoing shocks of pruning both limbs & roots, small restrictive pots, wire bending etc. all go to keeping the bonsai small, ;)

• 3 weeks later...

:) ___Excellent Orby! Everything they could be then?

___I'm over at my new place; we're almost in. We have until Sunday midnight to clear out of the other place. Everything here is overgrown with weeds & I have a lot o' work to do. The entire back hill (well, cliff maybe) is covered in blackberry; I have to wait for my body to make new blood before I go after those again! With all the activities of moving, I may not have time to put in a veggie garden this year. Our little bonsai made the move safely, so now I have to find just the right spot for it.

___Keep diggin' it! ;)

___In regard to a forestry concern, that of English Ivy, I note that most of the large trees behind me have a choking growth of this Ivy. Oregon State (if not Washington too) have declared it a noxious weed for this very reason. The Ivy when overtaking a large tree may have a weight of tons causing trees to break in the wind, & the trunk is made vulnerable to rot & insects under the mats of vine.

___On my hillside I have Ivy on Red Oaks, Maples, & Douglas Fir; some of these trees rise over 70 feet with Ivy 2/3 covering. What a disaster! :)

• 2 weeks later...

you all look like u know what ur talking about. i am not an expert but i plan to start a herb garden . i dont have a lot of space so it ll be in pots . i have tropical weather. what kind of herbs can i plant . i want herbs for cooking as well as for healing.any advice will be good. :turtle:

you all look like u know what ur talking about. i am not an expert but i plan to start a herb garden . i dont have a lot of space so it ll be in pots . i have tropical weather. what kind of herbs can i plant . i want herbs for cooking as well as for healing.any advice will be good. :eek:

___OMG now I have to try & live up to the impression I pretended to give! :rant: :rant:

___On the herbs, I suggest growing what you already buy & use. Then Google the phrase "growing [basil]" for example; I found many good university extension service articles this way. I have seen herbs in pots advice on some of the television gardening shows from time to time as well.

___Again on the healing herbs, grow what you already use or intend to use. When I kept bonsai I grew a number of varieties of willow in pots; willow bark is a source of salicylic acid which is an analgesic & anti-inflamatory & fever reducer (aspirin).

___Start right in & throw some seeds in a pot! :)

___I have authorized myself to assume the postion of bluff warden, & I have made some little progress in cutting a trail through the blackberry brambles in order to reach the large tree trunks where I have cut through the ivy.

___Along the way I have found a couple of native species I plan to propgate & replant the briar patches. I have found Snowberry (a native shrub), some ferns, & at the bottom of the bluff, willow.

___Off I go to cut some more trail; I'm rather obsessed with it now! ;) ;)

___I have authorized myself to assume the postion of bluff warden, & I have made some little progress in cutting a trail through the blackberry brambles in order to reach the large tree trunks where I have cut through the ivy.

___Along the way I have found a couple of native species I plan to propgate & replant the briar patches. I have found Snowberry (a native shrub), some ferns, & at the bottom of the bluff, willow.

___Off I go to cut some more trail; I'm rather obsessed with it now! ;) ;)

thats ur adrenalin talking.ur obsession will be over once the adrenalin is out.i think ;)

• 3 weeks later...

___Well Bartock, you may have called it; adrenaline is out. I have cut the ivy around the bases of 13 large trees & those I cut 3 weeks ago have wilted & dread ivy leaves litter the ground. I looked up the property on a government site & find the lot is less than 1/2 acre & the slope is a protected zone & no structures allowed.

___I cut a couple hundred feet of trails through the blackberry brambles to reach the trees & I have lost my interest in the last week to do much more.

At least I have a bit of a buffer in the event of brush fires, which is not unlikely given the rail line at the bottom of the slope. I note today it is raining & this is not our typical July weather here.

___My bonsai is still putting on new growth & no flowers yet & it is pretty much all the gardening I have now. :)

___Well Bartock, you may have called it; adrenaline is out. I have cut the ivy around the bases of 13 large trees & those I cut 3 weeks ago have wilted & dread ivy leaves litter the ground. I looked up the property on a government site & find the lot is less than 1/2 acre & the slope is a protected zone & no structures allowed.

___I cut a couple hundred feet of trails through the blackberry brambles to reach the trees & I have lost my interest in the last week to do much more.

At least I have a bit of a buffer in the event of brush fires, which is not unlikely given the rail line at the bottom of the slope. I note today it is raining & this is not our typical July weather here.

___My bonsai is still putting on new growth & no flowers yet & it is pretty much all the gardening I have now. :)

wow thats a lot of work.

cool u have bonsai. :edizzy:

___Now if you like the idea of bonsai, don't be put off by all the mumbo-jumbo tradition this & that. Just a potted tree is all. Find a pot, dig up or plant a seedling & put it in the pot. Voila! Bonsai.

___Like most of my interests Iwent a little overboard early on, but one is plenty to permit you to say "I have bonsai".

• 3 weeks later...

that is awesome, turtle. i love bonsais.

i live in florida, and there is a ton of farmland here. cows everywhere. and i was exploring what is SORT OF my backyard, which is SORT OF my garden (hey, earth is my garden, ok??) and i stumbled upon a fascinating find.

a psilocybe cubensis mushroom growing on dung.

so i took a picture**see attachment**

and to my surprise, i was surrounded by these little allies.

for anybody who is unfamiliar with these mushrooms, the government has outlawed the posession and ingestion of them because they contain two chemicals that are under schedule 1 drug control; psilocybin and psilo(something. i forgot the name)

so for legal purposes, i have to say i only took a picture.