Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

___Well, it's the middle of the night & it's storming...the last time I checked yesterday the peas were OK & I had .5" rain in the gauge. Unfortunately, the landlord called yesterday to say he is selling the place & we all have to move. These better be some pretty fast peas!

___As I have to start packing up stuff, I may not have more pictures, but I will post pea progress providing providence proffers promise. Keep on gardening!

Are we discussing gardens? Oh boy! I live in New Mexico and we had a warm and wet winter and seemed headed for an early Spring so I planted early (mostly sunflowers) and got a few sprouts then last Tuesday we had a late snowstorm and below freezing temps, but everything survived it. I still have more stuff to plant, but I'm gonna wait a bit.

___Sweet Justforfun; what else are you planning to grow? Do you eat your Sunflower seeds?

___While my vegetable garden is now in doubt, I have some little work on my last bonsai. The container I originally made is rotting in the bottom, & as it is time to trim back the roots on the tree, I may as well make a new tray.

___As luck has it, I just broke up this little wooden stand for firewood & it is redwood I believe. I will resuse some of the remaining boards for a new bonsai tray. The tree, a varigated cypress, is pictured in post #8 of this thread.

___As I don't know how often I may have a posting opportunity now, I hope you all will keep this little thread growing with your own garden storys. :friday:

This year's project is Datura metel blue. Southern California has the sun and heat for it. My nice southern exposure plot bedevils the neighbors. It's nasty for being hard to germinate but I've got 18 seedlings already up! The first real leaves will appear any day now.

http://www.bgard.science.ru.nl/images/02894248.jpg

http://www.nativehabitat.com/dmetelcorn.html

http://davesgarden.com/pdb/showimage/16759/

There's an even better part! It's a dicot, but five of the seedlings are cleanly tricotted and one has four cotyledons! I can hardly wait for the true leaves to appear. You know which plants get priority in the garden.

___Wicked beautiful plants UncleAl! Do you consume any parts of them? Look out!

___Anyway, I wanted to post up before Ace starts his game play to report there is now 2" of rain in the gauge since I emptied it yesterday.

___I used the term 'fruit' informally; technically a fruit is a a soft or fleshy covering which surrounds a plant's seeds. Ergo, peas are not technically 'fruit', but tomatoes are. :)

• 3 weeks later...

___Tarak, how long does it take to grow a Papaya? Is it on a tree?

___Now that Spring is sprung, this thread is really starting to grow!

___Orby, watch out for the thorns on those cacti!

___Fish, last year I grew a pumpkin inside a 4" plastic tube to make a phreaky jack-o-lantern. It only worked until I took the tube off at harvest & the pumkin was soft & too weak to carve. It was pretty cool looking though; about a foot tall & perfectly tubular with a little cap & stem overhanging the top. Maybe just a belt around a growing pumpkin to shape it would work.

___Nothing better than playing in the dirt! Keep on growing!

Papaya is polygamous, with three primary sex types: female, male and bisexual.

Papayas should produce fruit within a year of planting. Most papayas are grown from seed because of the impracticality of vegetative propagation methods in nursery production. Seeds are extracted from fully ripe fruit, washed to remove gelatinous material and planted several per pot of soil or potting medium.

Germination is accomplished in approximately two weeks under full sunlight. The plants can be set out as soon as they are large enough (about 1 foot tall) to survive with minimal care. The pots of plants should be spaced 8 to 10 feet apart.

Papaya seedlings should begin flowering in five to six months, at which time they can be thinned to a single female or bisexual plant at each site. In the absence of bisexual plants, one male plant is needed for every eight to ten females.