Science Forums

Y or N? Do you believe in Evolution? Why?

Brinnie

1. Yes

2. The abundance of evidence

It has been suggested that species close to last common ancestors of gorillas, chimpanzees and humans may be represented by Nakalipithecus fossils found in Kenya and Ouranopithecus found in Greece. Molecular evidence suggests that between 8 and 4 mya, first the gorillas, and then the chimpanzee (genus Pan) split off from the line leading to the humans; human DNA is 98.4 percent identical to the DNA of chimpanzees. We have no fossil record, however, of either group of African great apes, possibly because bones do not fossilize in rain forest environments.

Hominines, however, seem to have been one of the mammal groups (as well as antelopes, hyenas, dogs, pigs, elephants, and horses) that adapted to the open grasslands as soon as this biome appeared, due to increasingly seasonal climates, about 8 mya, and their fossils are relatively well known. The earliest are Sahelanthropus tchadensis (7–6 mya) and Orrorin tugenensis (6 mya), followed by:

* Ardipithecus (5.5–4.4 mya), with species Ar. kadabba and Ar. ramidus;

* Australopithecus (4–2 mya), with species Au. anamensis, Au. afarensis, Au. africanus, Au. bahrelghazali, and Au. garhi;

* Kenyanthropus (3-2.7 mya), with species Kenyanthropus platyops

* Paranthropus (3–1.2 mya), with species P. aethiopicus, P. boisei, and P. robustus;

* Homo (2 mya–present), with species Homo habilis, Homo rudolfensis, Homo ergaster, Homo georgicus, Homo antecessor, Homo cepranensis, Homo erectus, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo rhodesiensis, Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, Homo sapiens idaltu, Archaic Homo sapiens, Homo floresiensis

Human evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. Yes, of course.

2. It is a natural process that makes obvious sense, and is supported by tremendous amounts of observable evidence and data, as well as the abundance of experts in the related fields of study. Where my knowledge and understanding is lacking, I choose to align my beliefs with them.

1. Yes, (Though I remain a closet Lamarckian because I never like the status quo;))

2. All the other factors mentioned above by other posters, but especially:.

a) The progressive and systematic change in fossil character as we move from horizon to horizon can be explained by two processes. Multiple special creations, or evolutionary process. We have observed evolutionary process in the very limited time scale we have been observing for. We have never observed special creation.

:) Commonality of genetic structure, genetic content, metabolism, biochemistry and the like.

Yes

Because of all the fossils that link Man to our common ancestors with other members of the Ape family.

Because of all the fossil record.

Because of all the DNA record.

Because of all the common bio-chemistry among all life.

Because of all the evidence.

Because of all the facts.

Because of all the logic.