Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

Oh you boring lot.... for something different, I had a read of the 2009 Harley Davidson catalogue. I have delusions of 'riding' the streets making something akin to flatulant noises with a piece of mechanical art.... ah, dreams :hyper:
Me too! Me too!

Can I ride on the back of your bike?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze?????????????????????

uh...er... reading?

Well, I just ordered the biography of Isaac Asimov [edited by his wife]: "It's Been a Good Life".

It will show up around next Monday, I guess.

In the meantime, since I don't have anything really fun to read...

Can I ride on the back of your bike?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze?????????????????????

• 4 weeks later...

I am still reading "Darwin; The Life of a Tortured Evolutionist" -- am about 1/4 of the way through and he (darwin) just finished his cruise on the HMS Beagle. What I love about the book is all the background chatter: the politics going on, the rise and fall of "Liberal" religion in England at that time, his relationships with his father several cousins and other family members, the oppressive atmosphere of Cambridge College, and the social fad of "beetle hunting" that was sweeping England when he was in college. The book was based on over 20,000 letters and journal entries made by darwin, or to/about darwin by friends and family. There are vast stretches of time in his life when we know exactly where darwin was, and what he was doing, and thinking, almost hour by hour.

In the meantime, I have started Thoreau's "Walden". I have discovered that he was a very wry wit to the point that I suspect most folks have no idea he was trying to be humorous. I should have read this book 30 years ago.

• 2 months later...

I just read "East of Eden" by Steinbeck..

One of the greatest books I've ever read! I couldn't put it down.. spent a whole weekned reading it..

Yeah it won a Nobel Prize, but it was Amazing!

Great Book.

Steinbeck will be a Dickens of American writing when enough time has passed.

:)

Theres an adapted 6-hour movie, I watched years ago. Jane Seymore was so Hot and convincing in her role....

Okay guys, I tried reading Varley's Gaia / Titan trilogy again.

While I was in the hospital for two days with mild pneumonia and had NOTHING else to do.

I got almost halfway through the first book ("Titan") before I gave up in disgust and boredom.

It was less painful to just lay on my back and count the holes in the acoustic ceiling tiles, while listening to "the machine that goes boop".

Now I am reading "Remnant Population" by Elizabeth Moon.

At least she knows how to build plausible and intriguing characters.

I just finished Forward the Foundation by Asimov - the last in the saga, a Sad end.
:)

Sad because it was the last book in a fantastic saga?

Sad because the book had a sad ending?

Sad because the book ends but leaves the saga without an ending?

Sad because the entire saga comes to a sad ending?

Sad because it reminds you that Asimov is dead?

Sad because your new puppy got run over while you were reading the last chapter?

:D

Okay guys, I tried reading Varley's Gaia / Titan trilogy again.

While I was in the hospital for two days with mild pneumonia and had NOTHING else to do.

I got almost halfway through the first book ("Titan") before I gave up in disgust and boredom.

It was less painful to just lay on my back and count the holes in the acoustic ceiling tiles, while listening to "the machine that goes boop".

Now I am reading "Remnant Population" by Elizabeth Moon.

At least she knows how to build plausible and intriguing characters.

Sorry to hear that dude, the first book is kinda slow, especially the first half but the last two books are fantastic. The last book is out of this world. Even though the characters seem less than plausible all will be reviled in the end and it all sticks together extremely well. You could just start on the second book but then you would miss the 600 kilometer climb to the hub and the meeting with god! And oh yeah! the true nature of what is going on in that ship!

:evil:

Sad because it was the last book in a fantastic saga?

Sad because the book had a sad ending?

Sad because the book ends but leaves the saga without an ending?

Sad because the entire saga comes to a sad ending?

Sad because it reminds you that Asimov is dead?

Sad because your new puppy got run over while you were reading the last chapter?

:confused:

All of the above, minus the last one :sherlock:

I found it interesting that Asimov was so fixated on the characters aging and becoming old and dying.. I think he was spending a lot of time worrying about his own mortality. So that was sad too.

• 1 month later...

Michio Kaku's "Einstein's Cosmos" looks like a good book. I am a big fan of Michio Kaku and I might want to be a theoretical physicist someday [i have a LOT to learn]. Since I'm still just a kid, I'm currently reading a fictional book based on Ancient Greek Mythology. It is Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series, Book Three: Titan's Curse. I am also on the last chapter of Trigonometry for Dummies. :)