Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

I finally finished Gabriel Garcia Marquez' book, "Love in the Time of Cholera".

This has got to be one of the finest novels I have ever read, and I've been reading novels for the last half-century. A plot summary can be found here, though it is actually about the movie made from the book.

Just a staggering, emotionally wrenching, deeply humorous, and visually detailed story of love, lust, obsession and heartbreak and ... never mind. I just can't find words for this book.

Junk Food Monkey's, 1998, by

Robert M. Sapolsky.

"He is currently professor of Biological Sciences, and Professor of Neurology and Neurological Sciences, and by courtesy, Neurosurgery, at Stanford University. In addition, he is a research associate at the National Museums of Kenya studying primate behavior."

Actually this is a book I read many years ago, and picked it up again, after thoughts related to the What is Religion (?) thread. He has some interesting correlations in his studies related to religion (especially how schizotypal personalities have a historical baring on the subject). Cool. Not.

The title is kind of funky sounding, but the topic is a serious one, about the biology of the human predicament. He interprets the peculiar drives and intrinsic needs of our species (homo sapiens), with humor and keen observations.

Definitely recommendable.

CC

The sixth of the Hitch-hikers guide trilogy - Mostly Harmless

Isn't that the fifth one? Whatever the case might be, I didn't enjoy it as much as the others. Seems like Adams was losing a bit of focus when writing - but a cracking read, nonetheless.

I'm diving into the seventies right now, back when men were men and women knew their place! :wub: I picked up Bear Island by Alistair Maclean the other day, haven't read the old sod's books for years. Makes for very good midnight fodder when you can't sleep, and you don't want anything taxing the mind too much. I enjoyed Maclean's books when I was a teenager, and still do! Sarcasm, dry humour and wit knows no end with this guy, but it seems he had drink on the brain when writing Bear Island - everybody in the book is permamently drinking, drunk, or passed out! And the ladies are suitably sexy, dumb and willing - like seventies chicks were supposed to be! Hell, I can't see any publisher touching this kinda stuff in today's sterile non-sexist politically correct world...

I have to eat through this for an introductory anthropology course before the weekend is over because I've been lazy and putting it off for the past two weeks:

Amazon.com: Assault on Paradise (9780073530864): Conrad Kottak: Books http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0073530867/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1880684462&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FD3SB4AVZBZFEYXB46K

Isn't that the fifth one? Whatever the case might be, I didn't enjoy it as much as the others. Seems like Adams was losing a bit of focus when writing - but a cracking read, nonetheless.

I'm diving into the seventies right now, back when men were men and women knew their place! :) I picked up Bear Island by Alistair Maclean the other day, haven't read the old sod's books for years. Makes for very good midnight fodder when you can't sleep, and you don't want anything taxing the mind too much. I enjoyed Maclean's books when I was a teenager, and still do! Sarcasm, dry humour and wit knows no end with this guy, but it seems he had drink on the brain when writing Bear Island - everybody in the book is permamently drinking, drunk, or passed out! And the ladies are suitably sexy, dumb and willing - like seventies chicks were supposed to be! Hell, I can't see any publisher touching this kinda stuff in today's sterile non-sexist politically correct world...

:friday: yeah you are right.. I also purchased 'the salmon of doubt' and 'oh and another thing'. So plenty more hitch-hiking to do :angel2:

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Rebel in Chief by Fred Barnes, I Alex Cross by James Patterson and Ted Sorensen's Counselor - A Life at the Edge of History. I'm trying to decide whether to read Under the Dome by Stephen King or Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith next.

The Salmon of Doubt was okay -- I mean, it was Douglas Adams, after all, so it couldn't be bad.

It's a collection of his letters, essays and unfinished story lines. The one about Attila the Hun was a scream.

Yeah I just finished it yesterday, I enjoyed the one on an 'artificial god'. The book also introduced me to Dirk Gently, so I have to go and get some of those books too :hihi: