Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

I found this bookThe Unknown Terrorist, shattering. He paints word pictures that i can see. They are not nice. No wonder he lives on aremote island in the Bass Straight!

In The Unknown Terrorist, one of the most brilliant writers working in the English language today turns his attention to the most timely of subjects — what our leaders tell us about the threats against us, and how we cope with living in fear.

It is an extraordinary achievement, chilling, impossible to put down, and all too familiar.

Powell's Books - The Unknown Terrorist: A Novel by Richard Flanagan

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/books/08kaku.html

I'm very interested, although neither cunning nor a linguist, as I'm sure you've deduced from other forums. Can you link it?

I'm re-reading Varieties of Scientific Experience, loose transcriptions of Carl Sagans foray at the Gifford Lectures in 1985. It's pure candy.

Amazon.com: The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God: Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan: Books http://www.amazon.com/Varieties-Scientific-Experience-Personal-Search/dp/1594201072

Can you link it?

Sure, I'll try :hihi:

Adam's Tongue: How Humans Made Language, How Language Made Humans http://www.amazon.com/Adams-Tongue-Humans-Made-Language/dp/0809022818/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244658299&sr=1-1

I am also fiddling around with David Crystal's book, How Language Works. Its a pretty good read as an intro to linguistics, and the sections can be referenced independently of eachother.

Also, I have read a lot of great books by Steven Pinker. I suggest him for anyone interested in language & cognition.

Also, I have read a lot of great books by Steven Pinker. I suggest him for anyone interested in language & cognition.

This is funny: my astute and discerning wife has procured The Language Instinct and Words and Rules for me for my birthday just today. I believe this compleats my collection. Suffice to say I'm all over Pinker.

This is funny: my astute and discerning wife has procured The Language Instinct and Words and Rules for me for my birthday just today. I believe this compleats my collection.
That's funny! It was meant to be lol. Happy b-day!

Suffice to say I'm all over Pinker.

That makes at least two of us :)

• 2 weeks later...

Charles Dickens!

I realize once again what a Geinus he is.. I'm into 'Bleak House', right now.

I wish I could construct sentences like he could.. The man is simply the best thing since Steinbeck.. But he was before Steinbeck..

He is simply the best author of the 1800's, period!

Dickens is a Master. I can't put his books down....

Charles Dickens!

I realize once again what a Geinus he is.. I'm into 'Bleak House', right now.

I wish I could construct sentences like he could.. The man is simply the best thing since Steinbeck.. But he was before Steinbeck..

He is simply the best author of the 1800's, period!

Dickens is a Master. I can't put his books down....

I was wreaked for Dickens after being given "Bleak House to study when I was 14. The biggest book I had seen to date, not at all like the USA comics I was used to.

My wife- a lit. graduate- thinks Dick3ns is an all time great and loves him. This I have ignored as she is a woman,:hyper: and also likes the Brontes, Heathcliff , Mr. Darcy, and all those heaving bosoms.

But maybe I should give Dickens another go. I think I may have missed something

-----------------------------------------------------------

Reading old crime novels now in the "Black Dagger" series by the BBC. These are often neglected gems of the genera and may/can be the only book written by the author! They are reprints of books first published in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s A great series, republishing old, neglected crime writing of the 20th Century.