Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

I was wreaked for Dickens after being given "Bleak House to study when I was 14..

Thats just it..

Dickens isn't for 14 year olds, or even 19 year olds.. He has way too much sophistication and vernacular... You need a full vocabulary to read his work...Otherwise its a bit daunting. 850 page counts don't sit well with todays readers...:wave2:

I took a couple of days off from Bleak House.. to sit and digest, like I did with 'Les Miserables'.. I'll finish it in the next week..

A Top 20 book of All Time :turtle:

I started Dennett's Consciousness Explained about 6 years ago.

And then again about 3 years ago. I think I got about 1/3 of the way through it.

Daunting book, but fascinating.

It's about time to try it again. Thanks, Galapagos!!

I'm being sorely tempted to get into Joan D. Vinge's fantastic trilogy:

Snow Queen

World's End

Summer Queen

They have my vote as the best science fiction by a female author that I've ever read.

But I can't until I can stop taking documents home from work. :turtle:

Well I FINALLY finished 1984 by Orwell, then read Animal Farm in a day. Next two days I spent reading the Sea of Monsters and the Titan's Curse by Rick Riordon. Theyre in the Lightning Thief series, if you've heard of them. Very good. So thats three books in the past three days... hmm. A new record. At this moment, I am reading nothing. Waiting to go to the library to get the next book in the series. But I am starting a book about Cosmology and the Big Bang. Interesting book.

Well I FINALLY finished 1984 by Orwell, then read Animal Farm in a day. .

What did you think of 1984?? I finally read that about 3 months ago.

I can't claim to read a 250 pg book in a day and to think I understand it... I was always an advanced english lit person, but could never read a solid book in under a day... Speed reading isn't exactly reading... I like to absorb the meanings of the sentences..

I just read my first Sinclaire Lewis Novel ... "Elmer Gantry"

I really liked it. 400 pgs. It was about being a preacher and all the hypocrisy during the Revival peroiod in the early 1900's MidWest America.. It was interesting enough that it only took me a week to read it..

Good Book :shade:

What did you think of 1984?? I finally read that about 3 months ago.

I can't claim to read a 250 pg book in a day and to think I understand it... I was always an advanced english lit person, but could never read a solid book in under a day... Speed reading isn't exactly reading... I like to absorb the meanings of the sentences..

It was very... interesting... took me almost two months to read it though. It just got boring after a while. The only reason I was able to finish Animal Farm in a day was because I read for about 7 hours straight. We were on vacation, and taking some long car trips. I dont really speed read, I always end up rereading paragraphs when I try to do that.

It was very... interesting... took me almost two months to read it though. It just got boring after a while. The only reason I was able to finish Animal Farm in a day was because I read for about 7 hours straight....
I read 1984 only after seeing the (Black n White) movie by the same title. Having seen the movie made the book easier to read, and the book made sense of the movie. :turtle: :)

I read 1984 only after seeing the (Black n White) movie by the same title. Having seen the movie made the book easier to read, and the book made sense of the movie. B) :eek2:

Maybe I should see the movie... since the book was definately a bit confusing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...