Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

I definitely avoid the Fantasy end of Science Fiction. In fact, I hate the way that they are grouped together.

I hear you. For me they are two different genres, and the (very few) successful attempts I have read have come from excellent, hard-core SF writers. Otherwise it tends to suck big time.

I hear you. For me they are two different genres, and the (very few) successful attempts I have read have come from excellent, hard-core SF writers. Otherwise it tends to suck big time.

My daughter reads a lot of fantasy and i often get suckered into reding three volumes of crap. Troy was OK

I do read and enjoy Terry Pratchett and "Good Omens" by Neil Gamen and TP is a funtastic romp as long as you don't take your Christianity too seriously.

Strangely I don't 'get' Neil Gaman's fantasy

Kids fantasy is great (Young Adult) so much good stuff RedShift, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIHM The Dark is Rising series Susan Cooper (one of the best); The Owl Service, The Ghost of Thomas Kepe , Artemis Foul: (Eoin Colfer) series

So much good stuff that does not rely on sex, sin and sadism- just a rollicking good story well told.

If you are one of the three people who have not discovered Terry Pratchett yet Here is a guide. i don't count A Hatful of Sky a YA novel. It is one of my very favourites.

I like TP best when he rambles off on all sorts of asides and don't just keep to a strong story line. Those that just keep to the main game/story always appear over-edited to me.

Pyramids is the first Terry Pratchett book I read, I was really young and at times I found it hard to keep up. I kept thinking there were pages missing because the story jumped all over the place. It would be busy discussing something, and then it would just stop and jump into the middle of discussing entirely something else altogether. Although when you get a little older and more experienced you start to notice that the two things are actually connected, they aren't so random, it's just often not overly apparent what the connection is, or what is actually being said.

I'm currently reading a book called Reputations, for my 'arts past and present' course.(thank the lord it has lots of pictures!!)

terry pratchett is one of my favorite authors, however i currently suffer from pratchett deficiency as i only own ten (maybe eleven) titles. i just might pick up another discworld novel by the middle of the week. :angryfire:

wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the west

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Life-Times-Witch-West/dp/0060391448

by gregory macguire

i recently read wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the west. i really enjoyed the read. in some aspects it was very political, but it also had a healthy dose of fantasy. it's definitely not for children! while it reminded me a bit of 'animal farm' it also had all 'the wizard of oz' overtones, :hyper: even if they were a bit skewed. i can't post links, but you can find a detailed synopsis on the amazon website.

while i've watched the movie 'american psycho' countless times i've never read the book even though it's been recommended to me numerous times. i just started it a couple of days ago but plan to wrap it up by the end of next week if not sooner!

(update: i haven't made much progress on american psycho as i've been busy.)

terry pratchett is one of my favorite authors, however i currently suffer from pratchett deficiency as i only own ten (maybe eleven) titles. i just might pick up another discworld novel by the middle of the week. :clue:

Yes you need a bit of background before approaching Pyramids

Philosophy 101 would also help.

Not the place to start with TP (See chart above)

i recently read wicked: the life and times of the wicked witch of the west. i really enjoyed the read. in some aspects it was very political, but it also had a healthy dose of fantasy. it's definitely not for children! while it reminded me a bit of 'animal farm' it also had all 'the wizard of oz' overtones, :) even if they were a bit skewed. i can't post links, but you can find a detailed synopsis on the amazon website.

By who?

iViolet

Re: So what is everyone reading?

terry pratchett is one of my favourite authors, however i currently suffer from pratchett deficiency as i only own ten (maybe eleven) titles. i just might pick up another discworld novel by the middle of the week.

I keep loaning mine and never getting them back.

I have bugger all in my library and my kids keep stealing what I have left.

Now they all have new covers and I want/need the old ones.

They just don't last in second hand bookshops.

I need to re-read his books every year or so.

There is no other author I do this with.

His stories are so multi-layered it takes you years before you "get' some of his references/jokes/allusions.

I would love to wander about his (TP) mind one day.

"Once there was nothing and then it exploded"

-TP

Yes you need a bit of background before approaching Pyramids

Philosophy 101 would also help.

Not the place to start with TP (See chart above)

surprisingly, pyramids and witches abroad were the two first books i bought by pratchett. ;)

By who?

sorry about that, i don't know how i overlooked it but i have fixed it.

the author is gregory macguire.

I keep loaning mine and never getting them back.

I have bugger all in my library and my kids keep stealing what I have left.

Now they all have new covers and I want/need the old ones.

They just don't last in second hand bookshops.

I need to re-read his books every year or so.

There is no other author I do this with.

His stories are so multi-layered it takes you years before you "get' some of his references/jokes/allusions.

I would love to wander about his (TP) mind one day.

"Once there was nothing and then it exploded"

-TP

i rarely lend these books out but when i do, i make sure :hyper: i get them back! my first two pratchett buys came with the old covers. those old covers have incredible artwork and i agree that they are indeed hard to find these days without paying top dollar. :(

i also re-read his books very frequently. i consider them my 'go to' books. when i don't have anything new to read, i dig out the a pratchett and begin reading. i can't say i've a favorite as i find all of his characters unforgettable and (in my mind, at least) stick with you for days afterwards. while i agree that he is a master when it comes to layering a story, i think his true gift lies in the ability to accurately portray the human spirit.. in all its great and terrible facets.

i plan on hitting up the bookstore on by the weekend to see what i can find. even if the store has a book with a newer cover, i still buy it.. but he is rather popular and it's difficult just finding books; this is especially true in places that specialize in used books. (i hate paying new book prices!)

I just finished " the Jive Talker - an artists genesis" by Samson Kambalu.

Pretty cool. Its about a smart little kid from Malawi Africa trying to make it as an artist.

Definitely a refreshing, humored, yet intelligent perspective on life... especially growing up in Malawi. :hyper::singer::hihi::singer:

well, i just got back from my trip to the bookstore and was surprised to find seven pratchett books–all hardback copies! unfortunately, i was only able to pick up three of them :phones: since it's the beginning of the month and i've got a rent obligation to meet. anyway, if those other four books are stlll there in the middle of the month, i'm going to pick them up.

my three new pratchett finds: mort, sourcery and moving pictures.

i think tonight i'll give the arcade a rest and do a bit of reading instead. :)

well, i just got back from my trip to the bookstore and was surprised to find seven pratchett books–all hardback copies! unfortunately, i was only able to pick up three of them :) since it's the beginning of the month and i've got a rent obligation to meet. anyway, if those other four books are stlll there in the middle of the month, i'm going to pick them up.

my three new pratchett finds: mort, sourcery and moving pictures.

i

i tried my second habnd bookshop (to replece the ones I have lent and kid's stolen and she said Nah go out as fast as they come in

I love Mort especially death he is one of my favourite characters especially becuse he likes and often rescues- kittens!

I just finished reading "A Guinea Pig's History of Biology" the plants and animals who taught us the facts of life.

Eextremely well written and easy to read with quite a few surprises.

For example Mendal would not have identified his "re-discoverd" theory.

I especially likes the Latin translations and why things became named as they were. Even the ones I thought I knew Jim Endersby thows a new light on.

Too, the discovery of complimentary inventions such as glass sheets which made possible British glasshouses, stem engines, microscopes etc. Jim Endersby places everything and everybody in its historical context which helps make sense of it all.

A must read for any aspiring biologist.

All the personalities, all the egos, the plants and animals that have got us to where we are today.

I intend to read it again.