Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

That looks good, I've added it to my google library. Speaking of which, does anyone here keep a google library? They are publicly viewable, so it would be neat to share them with one another. ;)

What is a Google library? It sounds interesting:hyper:

I am currently reading "The Handbook of Unusual Natural Phenomena" it's a hoot:lol:

What is a Google library? It sounds interesting:hyper:

If you go to Google Books (books.google.com) you can search for books or keywords and you will get a list of related books. You can add these to your library (assuming you are a google member and are logged in). Then, you can either export an xml file of your list, or post a link. Here's mine (I just started building it, so there's not much there yet):

freeztar's library - Google Book Search

I am currently reading "The Handbook of Unusual Natural Phenomena" it's a hoot:lol:

That sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. :)

I just finished "Plague Year" by Jeff Carlson and started "Ill Wind" by Kevin Anderson and Doug Beason.

Plague Year is Jeff's debut novel, and it's OK. It's about what happens to some people when a nano-machine prototype (designed to kill only cancer cells) gets lose from the lab before it's ready. The title says the rest.

I just finished Bridges Out of Poverty: Strategies for Professionals and Communities

I highly recommend this book, its very funny.

Bridge of Birds is a fantasy novel by Barry Hughart, first published in 1984. It is set in a fantastical version of ancient China (Hughart subtitled it "A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was"). It draws on the traditional tale of Cowherd and Weaver Girl and other myths, poems and incidents from Chinese history.[1]

It was followed by two sequels, The Story of the Stone and Eight Skilled Gentlemen.

Bridge of Birds won the 1985 World Fantasy Award for best novel and the 1986 Mythopoeic Award for best fantasy

"Life not as we know it" by Peter D Ward.

I went to the library yesterday afternoon and checked out "Life not as we know it". I finished it up today and it was a great book. It answered a great many questions and vindicated many things I had begun to believe about life. I especially liked his take on silicon or silane life as he called it. I was a little bit disappointed he didn't address silicone life with concentrated sulfuric acid as it's working fluid but it just may be he knows something I don't.:shrug: I've known for a long time that silicon life would have to very cold (contrary to the common usage of the term silicon life) as apposed to silicone life. His idea of the importance of virus's is almost certainly going to be a great advancement in the understanding of life and how it came to be. All in all I thought it was a great read and addressed many things most authors don't even dare to touch.

• 1 month later...

I just broke out my copy of "The Ultamite Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams, I've already done so more times to count, it just never seems to grow old.

I'm also tearing through "The God Particle" By Leon Lederman. Along with "Pale Blue Dot" By Carl Sagan, and a couple of books from Brian Greene.

Unfortunetly I'm gonna have to cut back on how many I tackle at once once september decends, le sigh.

I'm rereading "Glory Road" by Robert Heinlein for the 10 to the 10th time, I love that book, best adventure story of them all, Heinlein was a dirty old man for sure!

I agree 100 % Moontanman,

Parts of it are about as close to a textbook definition of 'noblesse obligee' (the obligations and responsibilities of those who hold high office) as you could get. I'm surprised it hasn't been made into a movie yet, Starship Troopers has.

You don't think he modelled Woodrow Wilson Smith (? from memory first appearing in Methusela's Children) on himself did you?

When You Are Engulfed in Flames

A brilliant and hilarious story collection by David Sedaris, one of the best comical writers I know!

If you want to laugh read it!

I haven't read it, but I saw the author on Letterman last week and he did a reading from the book. The title is taken from instructions on fire safety procedures he found in a hotel overseas. :bow_flowers: Hilarious! :eek:

"I Was Told There'd Be Cake" by Sloane Crosley....although for some of it I think you really have to have spent time in Manhattan to get, and its really just "essays," its a fun and easy read....good for the beach...

as I stood there waiting for my train, I felt my understanding and empathy for my fellow New Yorkers swell like a big glowing orb of Care Bears and butterfly kisses....I smiled at people holding my same subway pole, and they smiled back...we're all just doing our best to help each other out, motivated not by karma but by a natural instinct to aid the greater whole, one stray clothing tag at a time, :phones:

Buffy