Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

EON, by Greg Bear.

It seems a large asteroid came out of nowhere and managed to get itself into a looong elliptical orbit around Earth. {Oddly enough, the author mentions no impact upon day-to-day life on Earth--no panics, no hysteria.}

Four individuals (or groups) are introduced. The American man who will eventually lead the expedition to The Stone, The American woman who just might be smart enough to explain what The Stone is and how it works, the Russian Man who is training hard to take The Stone away from the Americans, and a group of "humans" somewhere on a different timeline, for whom The Stone is an old, obsolete, worn-out relic they have long abandoned--who are mystified to learn that somebody has broken into it.

EON, by Greg Bear.

OOH! He is a goooood author! I've read one of his books although the Title escapes me. :D

I just finished YEAGER: an autobiography by the great man himself, Chuck Yeager! :bow::):bow::oh_really::bow:

:)

I love books about planes and pilots and THAT was a good one!

:woohoo:,

Iamacivilizedprimate!

EON, by Greg Bear.

AWESOME book!

Read it many, many years ago, and have been lookin' for a copy since! Turns out the inside of the 'Stone' was bigger than the outside! It was seriously cool. There's a sequel to the book that looks closer at the Thistledown's political make-up, but EON was still the best.

AWESOME book!

Read it many, many years ago, and have been lookin' for a copy since! Turns out the inside of the 'Stone' was bigger than the outside! It was seriously cool. There's a sequel to the book that looks closer at the Thistledown's political make-up, but EON was still the best.

You can get a copy of Eon from kalahari.net for R97.95. They also stock many other books by Greg Bear.

• 7 months later...

I'm down to the last chapter of The Sigma Protocol by Robert Ludlum (or his ghostwriter).

It's been a great read (when I've had time to get to it). It actually reminds me of the da Vinci Code somewhat, although it's typical of Ludlum's style.

I recommend it if you like chasing around all over Europe, master race, conspiracy stories.

Reading lots of stuff

Just finished a book on the OSS during WW2.

While not the books intent it shows, when you put it with other books on the subject, how the Yanks scrabbled to get up to speed with the British in the 'secret war' (They had been at it( Stevenson and Churchill since 1936?-).

In the USA it was considered not very 'gentlemanly' or the sort of thing a democracy should indulge in. 'Wild bill' Donovan had heaps of opposition and problems as a result. He consequently cut a lot of corners. A lot of people (agents) died who should not have (and a lot of people were saved too).

The Yanks just appropriated whole sections of the German Secret Service especially the Russian Section. Also any German technology ( Von Braun the developer of the murderous V2 rocket etc etc. many of whom should have paid for their war crimes but were too useful to the Yanks) The German's paranoia about USSR probably helped fuel & prolong the Cold War.

You can see the start of the "slippery slope' that the CIA has followed in ignoring things like the Geneva convention etc

Also reading a borrowed copy of"1491" an astounding book. I will make some more detailed posts on that in Darwin and Terra preta when I have finished and digested it.

How about the idea that thee were more people living in the Americas in 1491 than there were in Europe?- for starters

Well I spent the afternoon reading this thread; thoroughly enjoyable read :hihi: Seriously, one finds here good suggestions :wink:

The Lord of the Rings - 50th Anniversary Revised Edition (Paperback), John Tolkien. I've been reading this omnibus edition on and off since I bought it some 4 months ago. Mind, I had already read the Portuguese translation on library loan, but I generally find them lacking, so happening upon this veritable treasure at good price in a mall bookstore, I had to pick it up.

Just been having a hard time reading it regularly these last three months what with sleeping schedules, college work and personal projects I should attend to. But the proof I found it an engaging read is on the book itself: the gold-tinted cover is turning green, the silvered letters are fading and the plastic lining is detaching at the edges! All of that from my sweat, so I gotta make me one of those paper dust jacket thingies :-/