Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

Reading lots of stuff...How about the idea that thee were more people living in the Americas in 1491 than there were in Europe?- for starters
Whoa!! :hihi: I read recently that there is serious archeological evidence for a massive agricultural civilization from the southern edge of Brazil down through Argentina--but that the first European visitors spread diseases that were so lethal (small pox, flu, etc) that within 25 years, the natives were effectively exterminated.

Is that what you mean? :wink:

I've picked up Hoffstadter's "I'm a Strange Loop" again, with the hopes of finishing this time.

I just finished "THE SALMON OF DOUBT" by Douglas N. Adams.

I recommend it to all Douglas Adams fans.

Will read :wink: I just finished 'life the universe and everything'

I am now reading a bit of 'The elegant universe' (again) by Brian Greene and one of my textbooks for next semester 'Introduction to special relativity' by Taylor & Wheeler.

Whoa!! :)

Is that what you mean? :hihi:

Yes, still academically contentious, but I have been convinced. The Indian immune system was fundamentally different to the European.

I thought I would write it up In "Darwin re-visited" thread as many boldly assert that disease cannot wipe out a whole population- there is always something left to carry on.

Disease took out 95% of the American population at first then came back and decimated that, and again and again forcing Indians into a sort of genetic "dead end". The populations of vast areas of the Americas were annihilated .

DanteMercedes Benzene?

I thought you had to be forced to read that.

A good read?!

I have a copy somewhere, I must dig it out.

What you learn on Hypography.

DanteMercedes Benzene?

I thought you had to be forced to read that.

A good read?!

I have a copy somewhere, I must dig it out.

What you learn on Hypography.

No... I'd only have to be forced to read it in Italian. :hihi:

The translation by John Ciardi is a very good read indeed. It's also a lot easier to comprehend when their are notes to help you along (like the version I'm reading).

Anyway, I just finished reading "Pride and Prejudice" and "1984" for AP Lit reading. The former is a total bore IMHO, but the latter is one of my favorite books. I've probably read it 8 times since 6th grade.

No... I'd only have to be forced to read it in Italian. :D

The translation by John Ciardi is a very good read indeed. It's also a lot easier to comprehend when their are notes to help you along (like the version I'm reading).

I don't know if I really believe you but, if I ever find it, I will give it ago.

Anyway, I just finished reading "Pride and Prejudice" and
"1984" for AP Lit reading. The former is a total bore

Agreed, a total 'chicks book'. My daughters and wife adore Austin. Really great for BBC Costume dramas. Yawn. If you have a female tutor you better fain interest or get out the video.:D

Wasn't there a 20C Hollywood version done of one of Austin's scenarios??

1984 is too real and too aware of 2008 to read again. Far too scary. It is too true. Like old episodes of "Yes Minister" (BBC).

PS What's AP lit?

BTW, To Hell and Back is a must freaking read! (last page)

I read A Clockwork Orange :embarassed::xx:

I watched the movie years ago, and it didn't make much sense to me at the time.

Then after reading this book, which I had to actually re-read every paragraph, It makes a bit more sense.

Good thing the book had a "translator" in the back.

The veck wrote words that slooshied about in me gulliver, right horrorshow. I smecked quite a bit at all the gloopy nazzes. :xx:

BTW, To Hell and Back is a must freaking read! (last page)

I read A Clockwork Orange :embarassed::xx:

I watched the movie years ago, and it didn't make much sense to me at the time.

Then after reading this book, which I had to actually re-read every paragraph, It makes a bit more sense.

Good thing the book had a "translator" in the back.

The veck wrote words that slooshied about in me gulliver, right horrorshow. I smecked quite a bit at all the gloopy nazzes. :xx:

That's a strange, strange book. I'm a big fan of dystopian literature, but "A Clockwork Orange" was a bit too much. And, as I said before, a bit too strange for my liking. The movie was okay though.

lately I've been reading records disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

USDOJ: Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)

it's amazing what you'll find in there if you look around.

Edit: this will help you find your way around some.

This booklet is designed as a general "do-it-yourself" guide to using the federal Freedom of Information Act.

How to use the Federal FOI Act

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am beggining two books that i expect to be wonderful-

#1- Carl Sagan's Contact I am really looking forward to getting into it.

#2- Something to the likeness of When Life Nearly Diedthe story of the mass extincions that killed off 90% of life near the end of the permian period.

And how do i get MY books?

I do not read that much, but usually what ever I do end up flipping through, is borrowed from a friend or teacher.

~Giles be Skimming :hihi::shrug:

• 4 months later...