Science Forums

Tell us what you want!

Tormod

• 1 month later...
i wont 2 attach a poll.

You can create a poll whenever you create a new thread, and if you created the thread, you can also add a poll later.

When you create a thread, write the initial post, and then scroll down below the "Submit New Thread" button and you'll see a check box marked "Yes, post a poll with this thread" and after then clicking the Submit button, it will step you through creating the poll....

Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion, :)

Buffy

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of things:

1. I'd like a "User CP" button at the bottom of the page when viewing threads so I don't have to scroll back to the top to go to my next personal topic. It's not that big of a deal but having a button somewhere at the bottom, like a couple of spaces below the "New Reply" button would be convenient.

2. I would prefer that the "New Posts" pages remain static so that a viewed thread would not disappear from the list after it is viewed. There are times when I have gone to a thread I found interesting and started reading it only to have to leave it for some reason, and then I don't remember what forum it was in when I come back. I then have to either search for it, or wait for someone else to post to it before I can find it again. Again, this is not a big deal but it is a bit inconvenient. While I see the advantage of having viewed threads drop off of my User CP page, I don't see the advantage to having them drop off of my New Posts list.

(I admit that I have not read this entire thread so if I am being redundant I apologize)

Im not sure about no. 1, Im sure it can be done, it would just be a matter of where and if it clutters the space to much.

For 2, I completely understand, having done this myself more than a few times. I can really think of what can be done, it refreshes each time you come so that you can see the new posts. If it didnt get rid of old ones then each time you come there would be multiple references to new threads and an increasing list of threads you havent read..

What might be handy in this case is that you can subscribe to a thread without having to post in it first. All you have to do is click on the 'Thread tools' menu at the top right of the thread and select subscribe :evil:

2. I would prefer that the "New Posts" pages remain static so that a viewed thread would not disappear from the list after it is viewed. There are times when I have gone to a thread I found interesting and started reading it only to have to leave it for some reason, and then I don't remember what forum it was in when I come back. I then have to either search for it, or wait for someone else to post to it before I can find it again.

For 2, I completely understand, having done this myself more than a few times. I can really think of what can be done, it refreshes each time you come so that you can see the new posts. If it didnt get rid of old ones then each time you come there would be multiple references to new threads and an increasing list of threads you havent read..

What might be handy in this case is that you can subscribe to a thread without having to post in it first. All you have to do is click on the 'Thread tools' menu at the top right of the thread and select subscribe :(

You might also try viewing "Today's Posts" instead of "New Posts." If you leave your computer, and come back with 24 hours, chances are good that the thread will still be quickly accessible there. It's the first option under Quicklinks and I use it often for this very reason.

:evil:

Im not sure about no. 1, Im sure it can be done, it would just be a matter of where and if it clutters the space to much.

I was just thinking of a button no bigger than the "New Reply" button.

On this one, I was thinking that each time you click on the "New Posts" button, it would show a current list of new posts sorted by date and time, similar to the "Recent Threads" column on the left side of the Forum Portal page. The pink bar that segregates recent posts that have occurred since your last visit would be unnecessary since the list would always be updated each time it is refreshed with the most recent at the top. Items would not drop off after visiting them, but would move down the list as newer posts were added above. An updated item would simply be sorted to the top of the list, not doubled up.

What might be handy in this case is that you can subscribe to a thread without having to post in it first. All you have to do is click on the 'Thread tools' menu at the top right of the thread and select subscribe :evil:

This is a good idea, I didn't realize I could do that. Thanks.

INow's suggestion is another good alternative I haven't tried either.

• 3 weeks later...

Along a similar vein...there's an indicator for new messages...right...How's about an indicator that lets you know when there are new posts on your subscribed threads regardless of where your hangin out here?

I'm perpetually having to pop back to CP just to track conversations in my favorite threads....yeah I know this ain't exactly an insufferable burdon...but how cool would it be to be able to simply click and check out that groovey new post without the detour!:hihi:

• 2 weeks later...
Along a similar vein...there's an indicator for new messages...right...How's about an indicator that lets you know when there are new posts on your subscribed threads regardless of where your hangin out here?

I'm perpetually having to pop back to CP just to track conversations in my favorite threads....yeah I know this ain't exactly an insufferable burdon...but how cool would it be to be able to simply click and check out that groovey new post without the detour!:xparty:

Bookmark this link:

http://hypography.com/forums/subscription.php

It shows you your subscribed topics (assuming you haven't turned off automatic thread subscription). You subscribe by replying, or you can use the "Subscribe to this thread" under Thread tools.

The same link is listed in the "Quick links" menu above... :hihi:

You mean like a small pop-up window showing up?

No not really as popup blocker would probably render it useless. More like a browser side bar...But perhaps one that would linger at the bottom of the screen and follow as you scroll through a thread.

Tormod- Bookmark this link:

http://hypography.com/forums/subscription.php

It shows you your subscribed topics (assuming you haven't turned off automatic thread subscription). You subscribe by replying, or you can use the "Subscribe to this thread" under Thread tools.

Thanks, I keep forgetting it's up there:doh:

And I'm assuming you're not particularly fond of my idea:shrug:

It was worth a try:)

• 9 years later...