Science Forums

Dangers of Milk

LJP07

I read an article today that concerns milk and says it's bad for you. They claim:

*High saturated fat content.

*Increase in Ovarian Cancer.

*Increase of Prostate Cancer.

This information and more can be located at :

Calcium and Milk: Nutrition Source, Harvard School of Public Health

Leading Doctors claim that Milk is one of the worst foods where three cups a day double the chance of getting Prostate Cancer.

It's associated also with BGH located here and more:

Question the marK

I drink three cups a day and might change due to this!

Don't take this as Official Health Advice, for it's not.

But I personally believe that once you're weaned, you're weaned. I don't drink any milk at all, and the only milk I'll get in would be in the odd cup off coffee, or as an ingredient in meals. So, I guess I might consume about half a cup of milk a day through indirect means. And I honestly can't say that I suffer from low bone-mass or bad teeth or any of the things the dairy industry would like you to believe.

I am of the opinion that milk drank in quantity on a daily basis cannot be good for humans, or any other mammal, because weaning is a definite process with a definite goal. Go and find your own food, momma's tired, now!

As for me, I have replaced butter with margarine varieties. I eat yoghurt, though (I prefer the natural type with no additives, and add pure fruit jam with only fruit sugar). And I eat minute amounts of cheese.

The difference is of course that if you drink a couple of glasses of milk you get a LOT of milk. If you eat a few slices of cheese, you don't.

I read an article today that concerns milk and says it's bad for you. They claim:

*High saturated fat content.

*Increase in Ovarian Cancer.

*Increase of Prostate Cancer.

This information and more can be located at :

Calcium and Milk: Nutrition Source, Harvard School of Public Health

Leading Doctors claim that Milk is one of the worst foods where three cups a day double the chance of getting Prostate Cancer.

It's associated also with BGH located here and more:

Question the marK

I drink three cups a day and might change due to this!

Please note that several of the problems with milk, such as increased risks for cancers and heart disease, etc. (due to saturated fat and cholesterol), also apply to beef and pork. It might just be easier to overdo it with several cups of milk than a few beef steaks. :happybirthday:

I drink about 1/2 cup a day, depending on what I've done and how I feel. Milk is like a lot of other foods with some benefits and some drawbacks to it. How beneficial or detrimental it is also depends on your lifestyle, overall diet, and genetics. I can't tolerate milk very well, which is why I try to avoid it in large amounts, especially regular supermarket milk and parmesan cheese. In my case, it seems to be genetics (I'm half Asian, and as the article mentioned, an overwhelming majority of Asians are milk intolerant). On the other hand, whole milk, other cheeses, and yoghurt don't seem to cause me problems.

If you drink whole milk, it is rich in saturated fats, but also polyunsaturated ones, including omega-3s and omega-6s. Milk is a good source of high quality protein like eggs are. And it has calcium and other good minerals and vitamins in it. But overdoing saturated fat in one's diet can be harmful; that's why I try to moderate my meat and milk intake. If I drink more milk one day, I eat less meat or more healthy to compensate. If I'm very active that day, having done heavy exercise, then I don't see fats as so much of a problem.

I guess, in general, it's all about balance. If you have problems with casein, lactose, galactose, or antibiotics (which I believe are present in regular milk), then you may want to avoid it because of health concerns. If not, enjoy. :partyballoons:

Personally I avoid Milk whenever possible. Cause me all kinds of problems. Like Acne breakouts for one, and it does a number on my breath. When I am sick it tends to compound the problem, and also it cause my joints to ache and on days that I don't excercise, makes me stiff.

I do find a use for it occasionally mainly when I can setup my ideal breakfast. 8 oz of milk in ceral (rasin bran, preferably), 8-16 oz of Orange Juice, and 1 banana. If possible I like to replace my milk with Yogurt, and my ceral with a nice healthy veggy and fruit sandwhich. With between 2-5 slices (depends on the thickness of the slice) of meat and 1-2 slices of cheese (I admit it, I am not a veggitarian, hard to keep healthy in a meat eating society).

I prefer there to be more veggies and fruit than anything else, and recently I have been looking at learning to make these Americanized pitas.

When I get my ideal breakfast in the morning, I can do wonders. The further I can distance myself from things like milk, fatty meats, and processed foods the better I feel, I perform, I sleep and the healthier I am. I prefer yogurt to straight milk because it contains live cultures which help with the digestion of (and therefore the energy harvesting) food.

Also, in case people here have never looked into what they are getting when they drink milk. To be honest it might be considered nasty. Anyone want to hear about utter infections?

I'm a punister, I punish people. ;)

Also I do realize that I do not escape the short comings of live food production, nor of food processing.

However, yogurt is several steps removed from the harvesting. Any bacteria or toxins that might be in milk must be processed out for one to make yogurt or cheese properly. Hence my preference for the processed dairy products.

I drink soy milk too. It started years ago when someone said that milk will aggravate my asthma because I'll produce more mucus so I switched to soy. I don't particularly like the taste of soy milk, but it's been so long now that I can't go back to cows milk.

I remember some hype about A2 milk which contains the A2 protein and was supposed to be healthier for the heart than the A1 protein. I don't know if it's true or if the milk's still around.