Science Forums

Dangers of Milk

LJP07

It's curious that among animals that nurse their young, as soon as the young are weaned there's no milk in their diet - zilch! Granted evolution has taken us far from our roots but I'm still uncertain that milk is good after weaning as it seems to be associated with allergies.

Really? How many animals cook meat before consumption? How many animals process food? How many animals actively manipulate the genetic expression of their food sources through selective breeding? I've always wondered why it is that people feel that drinking milk is somehow unnatural, when quite a bit of everything else we eat is unnatural as well by that standard.

If someone has allergies to milk, or is lactose intolerant, then obviously, they shouldn't consume milk. Plenty of people consume milk their entire lives and have no problem with allergies. What source do you have for the consumption of milk being associated with allergies?

Really? How many animals cook meat before consumption? How many animals process food? How many animals actively manipulate the genetic expression of their food sources through selective breeding? I've always wondered why it is that people feel that drinking milk is somehow unnatural, when quite a bit of everything else we eat is unnatural as well by that standard.

:huh: You seem to have missed my point. Can you show me an animal that reintroduces milk to its young after weaning. Or any animal that seeks out milk in another source! Granted there is some kind of 'milk' in plant leaves but I don't know if it has the same properties as animal milks.

If someone has allergies to milk, or is lactose intolerant, then obviously, they shouldn't consume milk. Plenty of people consume milk their entire lives and have no problem with allergies. What source do you have for the consumption of milk being associated with allergies?

You're right, not everyone has milk allergies but a large percentage do. Apparently its due to certain proteins, which I didn't know until now:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/milk-allergy/DS01008/DSECTION=causes

No, I understood your point completely, and discarded it as irrelevant. I don't base my diet off of the eating habits of elephants, monkeys, rats, or any other mammal. Whether or not any other animal consumes the milk of another species is irrelevant to the dietary benefits or risks of milk consumption by humans.

You made the claim that milk is associated with allergies. Did you actually mean that some people are allergic to milk? If so, why would you even bring that up? My sister is allergic to strawberries, I will not be giving them up because of that. If you meant, as you said, "I'm still uncertain that milk is good after weaning as it seems to be associated with allergies," I am interested in seeing a source for this claim.

No, I understood your point completely, and discarded it as irrelevant. I don't base my diet off of the eating habits of elephants, monkeys, rats, or any other mammal. Whether or not any other animal consumes the milk of another species is irrelevant to the dietary benefits or risks of milk consumption by humans.

You seem to be intentionally missing my point that animals once weaned, don't seem to reintroduce milk into their diet.

You made the claim that milk is associated with allergies. Did you actually mean that some people are allergic to milk? If so, why would you even bring that up? My sister is allergic to strawberries, I will not be giving them up because of that. If you meant, as you said, "I'm still uncertain that milk is good after weaning as it seems to be associated with allergies," I am interested in seeing a source for this claim.

I corrected myself and showed you a good source (the Mayo Clinic) but you seem intent on an argument for arguments sake.