Science Forums

Dangers of Milk

LJP07

I switched to soy because I would never finish the cow variety before it expired. My milk turned lumpy too quickly, and I found that soy lasts for weeks and was a great source of protien. I do, however, prefer the vanilla flavored. ;)

Yeah, the vanilla flavoured soy is great. Come to think of it, so are the strawberry and chocolate flavours.

urk to much sugar for me!

I don't drink as much milk as I used to. When I was at university I would drink 10-12 glasses per day to suppliment my protein needs. The caferteria diet was high in carbs but low in the amount of protein needed for all the training I was doing. I never had a problem with too much milk but would have preferred steak.

This studies concerning the risks of milk and the counter studies done by the milk industry demonstrates why statistical studies are a lower form of science that rational science. With statistical science one can make the data look anyway one wants, allowing one to promote a cause. If someone hates milk pick the study that dumps on milk. If you like milk pick the study that says it is good. Everyone can be told what they want to hear by the miracle of statistical studies.

This studies concerning the risks of milk and the counter studies done by the milk industry demonstrates why statistical studies are a lower form of science that rational science. With statistical science one can make the data look anyway one wants, allowing one to promote a cause. If someone hates milk pick the study that dumps on milk. If you like milk pick the study that says it is good. Everyone can be told what they want to hear by the miracle of statistical studies.

Wow, HB... never short of an opinion, are ye? So, you think Quantum Mechanics is all bunk manipulated data made to look a certain way to the perceiver? Yeah... QM... a "lower form of science." That's quite a stance, indeed.

Also, please do clarify... what is "rational science?" Would that be the "science of rationality," or just some small subset of all sciences that you personally deem more important than the others?

I switched to soy because I would never finish the cow variety before it expired. My milk turned lumpy too quickly, and I found that soy lasts for weeks and was a great source of protien. I do, however, prefer the vanilla flavored. :D

Interesting. My experience is the other way around. Soy lasts a short while, but milk much longer. :hihi: Both are good, though.

Interesting. My experience is the other way around. Soy lasts a short while, but milk much longer. :beer: Both are good, though.

That is curious, indeed. I started by drinking the boxed variety on the shelf (non-refridgerated). Then, I found better taste in the more perishable types that had to be kept cold, but that still lasted longer than the bovine variety. What type of milk do you tend to drink? I know the more organic/no additives type often lasts longer.

Cheers. :milk:

There are always those brands where you get 1% fat or fat free milk. I really do not take this article seriously because my grandmother from my dad's side use to have cows and they had milking business. My dad and his brothers are crazy milk fanatics since they were young and so far none of them ( they all over 50 years old) has run into any serious heath issues like cancer. :) :)

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Welcome to hypography, jhnmichele! :) Please feel free to start an introduction forum thread to tell us all a bit about yourself.

i don't agree with this post. you are focusing on rare harms of milk. you should also be focus on it's benefits.

Well, the thread is titled “Dangers of Milk”, rather than “Benefits of Milk”, so that’s rather to be expected, no?

I’m not sure which post you’re disagreeing with, Jhn (hint: try clicking the reply button for a specific post, which will automatically start your “replying to” form with a quote linking to that post) but given that it’s widely known in cultures where people commonly drink milk after infancy (of course, practically all mammals drink it as infants) that it’s a good source of carbohydrate, protein, fat, and various vitamins, but less widely known that there are known health risks associated with drinking it, I disagree with your disagreeing ;) as I think spreading awareness of these risks is a good idea. Like any food, consuming milk and products made from it has benefits and risks which one’s wise to know when deciding if and how much dairy to have in ones diet.

Given that one of the most common “harm” of milk, digestive disorders due to lactose intolerance, can occur in about 75% of adults, I wouldn’t describe milk’s harms as “rare”. However, this problem is largely self-correcting, as many people, especially people who are severely lactose intolerant, don’t consume much milk or other dairy products.

On the subject of lactose intolerance, it’s interesting, I think, that the trait is both inherited (there are specific genetic mutation related to retaining the ability to metabolize lactose long after infancy) and acquired (not drinking much milk after infancy can reduce ones ability to tolerate it if one does begin drinking much of it later). It’s also almost certainly a trait selected for fairly late (in the last 10,000 years or so out of roughtly 200,000) in our evolutionary history, as until the appearance of cattle keeping, its almost certain that individual humans stopped drinking milk when they stopped breastfeeding. The history of milk drinking by adult humans is practically the same as the history of cattle keeping.

Having been raised on the dairy farm that I now operate with an older brother, I just have to chime in here! I have the advantage of knowing how my cows are cared for, what they are fed, and the sanitary conditions under which the milk is collected and cooled, and so I have no problem drinking lots of milk. I personally drink up to a half gallon of raw milk daily, and because our milk gets picked up for processing every other day, the milk I drink is never more than two days old. Somehow, after having this habit for most of my 42 years of life, I am not only not dead, but quite healthy. In fact, most of my non-farming friends have a very difficult time keeping up with me, and I can outwork most twenty-year olds. During haying season, eighteen hour work days are not uncommon, and I sometimes have my meals literally on the run. Occasionally, when I don't have time to eat, I find a quick glass of milk helps my endurance.

• 3 weeks later...

Some have problems with Cows Milk either beta casein or much less commonly, alpha casein

http://www.instructables.com/id/Kitchen-laboratory%3A-Proteins-and-Cheese-making/step2/Milk/

http://www.allallerg...find.cfm?cdeoc=

Pasturisation and heating (esp with microwaves) is also said to cause problems

Coeliacs especially may be better off without it

Gluten-Associated Sensitivity & Cross-Reactive Foods

■Cow’s Milk IgG + IgA Combined

■Alpha-Casein & Beta-Casein IgG + IgA Combined

http://lupushope.blogspot.com/2011/01/dr-k-newsletter-gluten-intolerance-isnt.html

Having been raised on the dairy farm that I now operate with an older brother

Farming Guy, is your older brother in good shape too? If so can you say that both you and he attribute your health directly to milk consumption?

I realize of course that this is your livelihood but I have often wondered if milk and milk products are really healthy.

It's curious that among animals that nurse their young, as soon as the young are weaned there's no milk in their diet - zilch! Granted evolution has taken us far from our roots but I'm still uncertain that milk is good after weaning as it seems to be associated with allergies.