Science Forums

Stupid questions...

Boerseun

Jeez!!! Do I have to tell you ALL the answers???

Why do you have all the answers? :0005:

Bottled water consists entirely of atoms, dufus!! And atoms have protons in their nuclei!! And the proton has a half-life of 10^88 years!!

Then how come I have a bottle here which says "Use before Jan 12, 2008"? That's slightly less even than the half-life of protons... B)

Don't you EVER read the fine print on the labels????? B)

Why do they put fine print on the labels? They could use ugly print and save money.

B)

Father of a three-year-old and a six-year-old...B)

• 3 months later...

Another rather stupid question:

If the Earth was as smooth as a marble, with no surface features at all, and no liquid water, i.e. a smooth, solid ball; would the atmosphere be tidally locked to the moon, or would the temperature gradient between poles and the equator be a bigger force?

...If the Earth was as smooth as a marble, with no surface features at all, and no liquid water, i.e. a smooth, solid ball; would the atmosphere be ...?
What you are describing is very close to the reality of Jupiter. Well, Neptune might be closer. No mountains, no surface, no oceans. However, Neptune doesn't have a big temperature gradient and Jupiter has way too much spin. So, the comparisons are not good.

What you are describing is very close to the reality of Jupiter. Well, Neptune might be closer. No mountains, no surface, no oceans. However, Neptune doesn't have a big temperature gradient and Jupiter has way too much spin. So, the comparisons are not good.

Problem with Jupiter, also, is that more heat bubbles up from its interior than it receives from the sun! So any convection there is more Jupiter-driven than sun-driven, in any case.