Science Forums

Stupid questions...

Boerseun

I suffer from migraines and during a recent attack, in which I also had a sore throat, she kept pestering me to talk (The language centre goes down during migraines by the way).

In the end I exploded and shouted at her to shut up, half a dozen times in quick succession.

A few days later I explained all this to which she said "Well if you'd told me that at the time, I would have understood!":doh:

It is certainly a challenge to have the right words or actions in the heat of the moment.

From what I have come to understand from my eighteen months in martial arts, and what my friends tell me about Yoga, learning the self discipline to not react in those situations (for example when someone slaps you across the face etc) and instead focus on the deeper issue at hand (what needs to happen next) can make your life go much easier.

I have also found recently that it helps me to try and think about what a person's good intentions are, even though their current actions might be causing me grief.

So my suggestion would be to look into a Yoga class. You might find it can help reduce your stress, align your back and/or chakra (sometimes the cause of migraines), and otherwise maintain that "cool under fire" that you are looking for.

It is certainly a challenge to have the right words or actions in the heat of the moment.

From what I have come to understand from my eighteen months in martial arts, and what my friends tell me about Yoga, learning the self discipline to not react in those situations (for example when someone slaps you across the face etc) and instead focus on the deeper issue at hand (what needs to happen next) can make your life go much easier.

I have also found recently that it helps me to try and think about what a person's good intentions are, even though their current actions might be causing me grief.

So my suggestion would be to look into a Yoga class. You might find it can help reduce your stress, align your back and/or chakra (sometimes the cause of migraines), and otherwise maintain that "cool under fire" that you are looking for.

Firstly, the irony of the situation has missed you - namely that my partner asked for a response that I couldn't have given under any circumstances (If I could have responded intelligently, I would have - this violent mantra was the only way I could convey anything at all. The insanity and humour of the situation is buried in this).

What you're friend says about Martial Arts is right - I should have let her drone on about the situation incessantly, like a fly in my ear but that didn't happen. I also understand that she was trying to get a reaction out of me because she was feeling lonely (early hours of the morning and neither of us could sleep - me because of my migraines/ her because the dogs were restless)

As for Yoga and migraines - I used to use the Cobra and Supine pose to relieve the Kundalini build up in the base of my spine but now I use a backstretcher as it gives more bone-cracking relief! As for the migraines I think I need anger management counselling or hypnosis to cure them as it was a single outburst of rage that started that particular ball rolling (Better than it used to be: 2 attacks a month, lasting 3 days on average and covering a spate of several months (vomiting in half the cases)).

As for Yoga and migraines - I used to use the Cobra and Supine pose to relieve the Kundalini build up in the base of my spine but now I use a backstretcher as it gives more bone-cracking relief! As for the migraines I think I need anger management counselling or hypnosis to cure them as it was a single outburst of rage that started that particular ball rolling (Better than it used to be: 2 attacks a month, lasting 3 days on average and covering a spate of several months (vomiting in half the cases)).

I've only had one day of that kind of pain, and I wouldn't want to repeat it. So I can only imagine what that must be like. Good luck in finding solutions to that. Sounds like you are on the right track.

I have a stupid question.

What is a Yahoo Slurp Spider? :)

When someone uses the Yahoo search engine, and type in their search terms, it activates the "spider" which reaches out into all of the websites on the internet to find those terms... slurping up urls to present the list of search results.

It's also known as a web-crawler:

Web crawler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stupid Question: How can we help our biological evolution catch up with our social and technological evolution? Should we?

Stupid Question: How can we help our biological evolution catch up with our social and technological evolution? Should we?

What are you talkin' about? Have you seen professional athletes these days.....all pumped up on high-tech weight lifting machines and synthetic steroid enhancements?

And have you seen the latest Victoria's Secret catalogue? Those are some serious examples of human biological evolution if you ask me. I think in this instance we definitely should. :)

I definintely think that we should do everything in our power to catch up biologically where we are technologically. I mean, apart from the Victoria's Secret Catalogue justification (which already makes the answer a no-brainer), it's increasingly frustrating to be programming the latest fine-tunings into a nuclear reactor in a sterile environment whilst doing calculus with your free hand and thinking about time dilation when approacing a supermassive black hole, and then have your sexy co-worker walk by and all you want to do is hump her leg and club all the other males in the vicinity to death.

We desperately need Homo Sapiens Service Pack 2, in my personal view.