Science Forums

Stupid questions...

Boerseun

My laptop's battery has degraded to the point where I get about 30mins' worth of use out of it when unplugged.
I have exactly the same problem.

This is called "battery memory", and is caused by constant partial discharge then recharging, rather than using the battery's full capacity (or at least varying the amount used).

Boerseun's friend was using a rather "Russian Roulette" approach, when all that is usually required is to completely discharge and recharge a battery via normal use a few times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_memory

NOTE the issue about battery "packs" (your computer prolly has a sealed pack, so use discretion): "Because some cells may discharge before others, they are charged in reverse by the remaining cells, severely damaging them. To avoid damage to the other cells, each cell must be individually discharged, not the entire pack as a whole."

My opinion: this probably depends on the rate of discharge, with a heavy discharge being more likely to cause damage than a lower rate. So if you try this with your laptop, let it run down in sleep/standby etc. instead of while it's working hard. My old laptop is Win 9x so I just boot to DOS and let it run down from there, which also avoids any Windows hiccups.

Back on topic: Who am I and what am I doin' here... :shrug:

moo

This is called "battery memory", and is caused by constant partial discharge then recharging, rather than using the battery's full capacity (or at least varying the amount used).

Boerseun's friend was using a rather "Russian Roulette" approach, when all that is usually required is to completely discharge and recharge a battery via normal use a few times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_memory

NOTE the issue about battery "packs" (your computer prolly has a sealed pack, so use discretion): "Because some cells may discharge before others, they are charged in reverse by the remaining cells, severely damaging them. To avoid damage to the other cells, each cell must be individually discharged, not the entire pack as a whole."

My opinion: this probably depends on the rate of discharge, with a heavy discharge being more likely to cause damage than a lower rate. So if you try this with your laptop, let it run down in sleep/standby etc. instead of while it's working hard. My old laptop is Win 9x so I just boot to DOS and let it run down from there, which also avoids any Windows hiccups.

Back on topic: Who am I and what am I doin' here... :hihi:

moo

Mmmmmm....I think all that only applies to NiCad batteries. Nickel Metal Hydride batteries don't suffer from memeory loss.

Next stupid question:

Please Sir, may I have some more?

Question is, is a totoise insulted if you call it a terrapin?

Prolly not if he's a member of the Malaclemys club. :shrug:

But is he insulted if ya call him slow?

A bruised and battered turtle crawls into a police station. He says to the cop: "A gang of snails just beat me up!". The cop says: "Did you get a good look at them?". The turtle says: "Well, no, it all happened so fast!" :doh:

moo

A bruised and battered turtle crawls into a police station. He says to the cop: "A gang of snails just beat me up!". The cop says: "Did you get a good look at them?". The turtle says: "Well, no, it all happened so fast!" :doh:

moo

Actually I said, "Hell no, it all happened too quickly!" Brrum-bum. :shrug:

Ok, 'nother stupid question: Mmmmm...drawing a blank. Can I get some help here?