Science Forums

Stupid questions...

Boerseun

This may be a stupid question, but i think its more of a stupid system.

How come someone will not be executed because they are sick? If you are going to kill someone why does it matter if they are in ill-health?

Crazy countires that kill people...:)

Here's my informed guess, people are afraid to be termed uncivilized, because in almost all civilizations, while killing in war is accepted murder is not.

murder vs. war killing, here lies the clue.

To execute a sick criminal is not considered to be any different from murder, in most civilizations; executing a healthy criminal is considered to be killing someone in the war against crime!

Just thinking!

The idea behind it is that the criminal must be in a healthy state in order to understand what's happening when its happening. Else, the punishment will be pointless.

What I don't get, however, is why they bother to sterilize the patch on the guy's arms where they're going to inject the lethal mix? Do they intend to use the hypodermic again? 'Cause if that's not the case, then doing this is utterly pointless.

What I don't understand is why the criminal needs to be executed humanely. If that person has murdered someone, I'm sure the person they killed suffered and felt pain before they died. So the murderer's punishment is to be executed, but they are not allowed to suffer during the execution. Can't let the needle hurt... I can't quite find the logic.

If a tree falls in a forest and kills a mime, would anybody care?

If the body is no more than half way into the forest, then at least a mortician cares. Imagine the suffering of that poor tree though! :D

PS The heart is centered under the sternum and only appears to be on the left because the left ventricle is the largest and makes the biggest part of the lub-dubbing. More or less.:beer:

In the human body, the heart is normally situated slightly to the left of the middle of the thorax, underneath the sternum (breastbone) see diagrams. The heart is usually felt to be on the left side because the left heart (left ventricle) is stronger (it pumps to all body parts). The left lung is smaller than the right lung because the heart occupies more of the left hemithorax.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart

How much is a slightly? More or less? ;)

Also, because the heart is a single organ, there's no need for symmetry. Sorta like the liver, but the liver's off-centredness is never frowned upon. Or the stomach, for that matter. The kidneys are symmetrical, because there's two of them. I guess the liver, the heart, and all the other bits and pieces sit where they sit because that's the most efficient spacing method to get a coupla pounds of steamy, writhing slimy entrails into a hole not much bigger than a shopping bag. And the bits and pieces have found their spots over millions of years, and there we are! Coupla bits slightly off-centered, but hey - that still beats the first few attempts where the anus was situated between the eyes, slightly to the left. That gave rise to a whole vocabulary of insults, the last humans to evolve away from that configuration was deemed the slowest, mentally wise. Terms like "shitface" and such survive to this day from an evolutionary oddity, millions of years ago.