Science Forums

What's better than punishment?

InfiniteNow

Punishment, I feel, doesn't work. It motivates people how to get away with things more than it prevents them from wanting to do them. What should we do instead? This question is even tougher when we ask what we might do to replace the current prison system.

Do you have any ideas of what a better system might be to keep society functioning and to keep people making choices which do not harm others?

http://hypography.com/forums/social-sciences/5728-utah-what-happened-4.html#post90253

Punishment, I feel, doesn't work. It motivates people how to get away with things more than it prevents them from wanting to do them. What should we do instead? This question is even tougher when we ask what we might do to replace the current prison system.

Do you have any ideas of what a better system might be to keep society functioning and to keep people making choices which do not harm others?

http://hypography.com/forums/social-sciences/5728-utah-what-happened-4.html#post90253

Yes...

You take away privledges. But thats the same as Jail in a sense. :hihi:

Time for Bad little Johnny to go to time out. :cup:

And then you send them to Drug Rehab and Counciling, with the money you save from a policy of non-incarceration

Hypnotic reprogramming?

Genetic screening?

Mass medication?

I don't know. End poverty and you end crimes of property. How to end poverty -- well for that you need to eliminate scarcity. Think Star Trek. If I could replicate those great shoes, I don't need to steal them. If I'm not hungry, I don't need to make money to eat, or buy a car, or anything.

Of course, you still have crimes of passion. For that you have to eliminate excessive emotions. If I don't care if you steal my girlfriend, I won't kill you for doing so.

And then, as they say on the Simpson, "Elephants are like people, some of them are just jerks." What do you do with people who just don't want to get along?

How to eliminate crime? Kill everybody.

Violence and crime are symptoms, not diseases. Unfortunately, they seem to be symptomatic of human life. Or at least interesting human life.

TFS

This is a bit of a seperate issue, and I really want to stick to the heart of this thread, "What can we do instead of punish?" but...

Most people go into prison like a freshman into college. Then, by the time they come out, they've got a PhD in crime. It's a crime university, not a correctional facility.

What do we do instead though?

The criminal lives by a different sets of laws than lawful people. On the streets those who kill, for example the mobsters, are willing to kill and die for their cause. They try to survive as long as possible but are prepared for the worse, thereby using preemptive strikes. We should use their code to judge them. The lawful code should only be used for lawful people who have a periodic bout with the law.

If we do away with the death penalty, here is the math. We give the murderer a million dollars for room, board and attendents. The family of the victim gets sh*t. Wouldn't it be better to give the family of victim the million dollars and murderer gets sh*t. He should earn his way and cost society zero. Making murderers millionares is an excellent deterrent.

HydrogenBond: What you say about mobsters could equally be said of police or militia-men. The question of which of these sides, no matter where the law might stand, is considered "right" is a matter of opinion. Generally speaking, mobsters dont make an habitual practice of kidnapping or killing police.

It's been proposed that if we did away with poverty, then the symtoms of said poverty would also go away. Sure... sounds good. We also know that many violent acts are a result of internal cravings and desires, as well as passion. If we were to somehow isolate which cravings and desires tended to result in things like murder and rape, and satisfy those cravings and desires in some more positive way, would that be enough to stop such crimes? Hence, preventing the crime and eliminating the question of punishment all together?