Science Forums

Sasquatch: New Expedition

Turtle

What kind of scat is pictured in post #42?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What kind of scat is pictured in post #42?

• Sasquatch
    • Black Bear
    • Cougar (aka Mountain Lion)
    • Coyote
    • Porcupine
    • Skunk
    • Human
    • Martin
    • Fox
    • Other - I have posted my explanation to the thread

The next expedition in the coming week or so is planned as another day-trip. We hope to bring the map/orientation errors to a correction, scout a campsite for a multiple day expedition (many Sasquatch sightings occur at night:eek2: ), and continue our cataloguing of the myriad minerals, flora, & fauna the Great Forest harbors.

..., the area is right & we intend to investigate the West Fork River bottoms that lay below & to the East of Silver Star Mt. (That reminds me! I have to buy a box of plaster of Paris to have on hand).

We found the correct road (Skamania Mines Rd) & followed it to its end, however new private development has effectively closed this road as an entry into the forest. Warning signs abound & one says video surveillance is in use! This is virtually at the forest boundary that is immediately adjacent to Silver Star Mt.

We left & drove to the 1200 Rd which we followed to the trailheads mentioned in the articles I linked to early in the thread. Parked a while by two unoccupied vehicles & also 3 or so mountain bikers sailed by & off into the forest heading West toward Larch Mt.. Looks like the Silver Star trail is bikes & hikes as the riders came down from it.

We returned down the 1200 Rd a ways & parked at the forest boundary where we took our data. Nearby, a recent rock-fall dropped a large boulder at the road edge; numerous other smaller blocks lay about closer to the cliff face. In spite of not remembering the word 'cairn' to tell Racoon what I planned to build, we cooperated in building a rather nice cairn. ;)

We returned down the 1200 Rd a ways & parked at the forest boundary where we took our data. Nearby, a recent rock-fall dropped a large boulder at the road edge; numerous other smaller blocks lay about closer to the cliff face. In spite of not remembering the word 'cairn' to tell Racoon what I planned to build, we cooperated in building a rather nice cairn. I have attached a photo - with the 6" ruler edges highlighted in red at the base of the tetrahedral capstone.:confused: B)

I am pleased with your implementation of the ruler method. It has helped greatly with perspective!

Did you take unrulered pictures of the flowers also, including more of the leaf to aid identification?

Maybe you and Racoon should set up a TR-NSE site on one of the freebie web site places. Then you could post a bunch of pics and link them here.

I am pleased with your implementation of the ruler method. It has helped greatly with perspective!

Did you take unrulered pictures of the flowers also, including more of the leaf to aid identification?

Maybe you and Racoon should set up a TR-NSE site on one of the freebie web site places. Then you could post a bunch of pics and link them here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to keep the ruler in the plane of the flower so as not to introduce errors of perspective. The ruler in the frame also helped with focussing.:)

A few, yes.

The mission has been over long enough to Declassify. :shrug:

Not a success in the fact we could not bait or lure the elusive ape-man out from hiding.

Some believe Sasquatch is Telepathic. :eek_big:

I did however come out with some nice Forest Samples to add to my "need to water more plants" section.

A nice little fir tree. A sample of the Bear Grass, and some of the purple-flowered plants. :(

I hope they make the transition from Wild to Suburbia.

The Bear Grass was especially hard to uproot carefully, due to it ripping from the shallow root system and the rocks all around.

We are making that much more progress however.

There are no Failures. Only learning which way Not to do things :(

Great Attachments Turtler...

Did you try luring them toward your camp with the scent of charcoal grilled Bratwurst?
Bratwurst? Are you kidding me? Sasquatches are far more finicky. You really need to go for a nice foie gras or perhaps some Beluga caviar (on toast, no crackers!)...

Choosy Sasquatches Choose Moet, :)

Buffy

Did you try luring them toward your camp with the scent of charcoal grilled Bratwurst? Mmmm.... When are you taking the next trip?

Bill

Alas, we built no fire. We offered beer, smoked canned oysters, & cold-cut sandwich. I have no idea about the next rip...er trip. (typo:naughty: ) I have driven more these last 2 weeks than in the past 6 months & of course there is no telling which or for how long an obsession keeps my attention.

Sasquatches are far more finicky. You really need to go for a nice foie gras or perhaps some Beluga caviar (on toast, no crackers!)...

On toast...got it. Fire is in the plan for the next trip.:)

White, thin-sliced, no crust!

You had to *ask*?!?!?! :)

Properly,

Buffy

Yes mam.:) Oweverhay ixnay onay oiefay rasgay; ootay rutalbay!:ip:

4-wheel wagon is back on-line & the extended trip is looking more promising.:cup: If you find my page & the photo section, there is a shot of Racoon a mere 20 feet away & yet hidden in the dense brush. More evidence that Sasquatch may lurk nearby & yet ellude our apprehension.:)

An aquaintence familiar with plants chanced by the other day & I showed him the flower photos. He thinks one is Salmonberry; in post #71, it is the pinkish-purple flower in the top row/right end of attachments.

( flower003.jpg )

Addendum: ID confirmed. Edible forest food.:hyper:

http://www.bahiker.com/plantpages/edibles.html

http://adamschneider.net/photos/2005-03-ss/source/p3051490.htm

http://www.humboldt1.com/~popenoe/plants/salmonberry.htm

:)

An aquaintence familiar with plants chanced by the other day & I showed him the flower photos. He thinks one is Salmonberry; in post #71, it is the pinkish-purple flower in the top row/right end of attachments.

( flower003.jpg )

Addendum: ID confirmed. Edible forest food.:evil:

http://www.bahiker.com/plantpages/edibles.html

http://adamschneider.net/photos/2005-03-ss/source/p3051490.htm

http://www.humboldt1.com/~popenoe/plants/salmonberry.htm

:naughty:

Nice links Turtle! Plants are a weak spot in my familiarity. I can point out things like "This one flowers" or "there is some type of caterpiller who eats this" and the easy ones. Like 'theres wild strawberries'. And the vital Get Back! Poison Ivy!

Nice links Turtle! Plants are a weak spot in my familiarity. I can point out things like "This one flowers" or "there is some type of caterpiller who eats this" and the easy ones. Like 'theres wild strawberries'. And the vital Get Back! Poison Ivy!

Here we often find 'poison ivy' in the form called 'poison oak'. They constitute 2 different forms of the same plant.

The next expedition is not settled as to date & duration. As it is we have a frost warning on the valley floor tonight making it sure cold as hell in the mountains.

I have to consult with Racoon on whether or not the 2 of us care to try dragging the wagon up to the top of Silver Star Mt. Personally I think we will have better luck luring in a Sasquatch for a visit along one of the river bottoms in the area.

In the mean time I'll get to some more flower ID'ing; the yellow one with 5 petals may be a violet.;)

I followed your link and have to say, this was someone desperately seeking sasquatch (which may be a good title for your book that you may or may not write). I think its just a snoopy deer face. This is what happens when someone not trained in scientific method sets out to do research. We are so lucky to have someone of your caliber heading up the expedition. :hyper:

Anyways...

Have you access to a stealth cam? I looked into buying one of these as we headed out on a birding adventure and found out someone had forgotten their binoculars and we stopped at a local outfitter to buy some.

They had some excellent Bear, Deer, Racoon and other wildlife pics the locals (and summer people) had taken at their cabins using these cams. They also seem to have improved them alot since we were pricing them, and the prices havent changed with the newer versions.

Heres one:

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0025955.jsp

Have you access to a stealth cam?

I don't have one of these or know anyone who does (yet), but I have seen them on some of the hunting shows on cable TV. The guys who used it for Sasquatch plan to set more up, or so they say.

I have built an enclosure for my video cam and the camera has an "Interval" recording mode which turns the camera on every few minutes & shoots a few seconds of tape. I use this setting for astronomy & it may have some use in these explorations.

Off we go then...;)

No such expedition, or discussions therof, would be complete without commentary from the renowned National Geographic folks.

Some Sasquatch Saturday Sagacity:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/bigfoot-texas.html

Recently Woolheater helped organize "Bigfoot in Texas?"—a museum exhibition at the Institute of Texan Cultures at the University of Texas, San Antonio. The show opened April 7, and runs through July 30.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/10/1023_031023_bigfoot.html