Science Forums

Asian Philosophy is Eloquent

Racoon

Humility; pridelessness; nonviolence; tolerance; simplicity; approaching a bona fide spiritual master; cleanliness; steadiness; self-control; renunciation of the objects of sense gratification; absence of false ego; the perception of the evil of birth, death, old age and disease; detachment; freedom from entanglement with children, wife, home and the rest; even-mindedness amid pleasant and unpleasant events; constant and unalloyed devotion to Me; aspiring to live in a solitary place; detachment from the general mass of people; accepting the importance of self-realization; and philosophical search for the Absolute Truth — all these I declare to be knowledge, and besides this whatever there may be is ignorance.

-- Bhagavad-gītā --

Humility; pridelessness; nonviolence; tolerance; simplicity; approaching a bona fide spiritual master; cleanliness; steadiness; self-control; renunciation of the objects of sense gratification; absence of false ego; the perception of the evil of birth, death, old age and disease; detachment; freedom from entanglement with children, wife, home and the rest; even-mindedness amid pleasant and unpleasant events; constant and unalloyed devotion to Me; aspiring to live in a solitary place; detachment from the general mass of people; accepting the importance of self-realization; and philosophical search for the Absolute Truth — all these I declare to be knowledge, and besides this whatever there may be is ignorance.

-- Bhagavad-gītā --

The Ancient Greeks, had a similar aspiration, called this the "golden mean"

Something noble to be aspired too.

Probably because it was impossible for them to achieve.

I must disagree with that.

First, on what basis would philosophy be unconcrned with "how"?

Second, while the etymus you propose is very widely said and taught, it is quite inaccurate if you look at the content of philosophers from the Greeks down through to modern times. Both of the Greek terms of which it is compounded have a range of acceptions, of which both 'love' and 'wisdom' are and extremity. The "philo" can indicate a broad class of meanings such as "affiliation to", "attraction for" or "care of"; most basically it means "to like". Do paedophiles actually "love" their victims? Of course, :confused: the same word is used for as little as liking or appreciation, as in "I love walking in the morning sun". Sophòs means knowledge, of which "wisdom" is a derived concept (as the Germanic origin of the word 'wise' shows) but in the actual acception the word indicates something subtley more than just knowing or even than intricate logical reasoning.

Historically, philosophy is the pursuit of knowledge.

Nature is not kind;

It treats all things impartially.

The Sage is not kind,

And treats all people impartially.

Nature is like a bellows,

Empty, yet never ceasing its supply.

The more it moves, the more it yields;

So the sage draws upon experience

And cannot be exhausted.

TaoDeChing - Lao Tze

Harmony

Embracing the Way, you become embraced;

Breathing gently, you become newborn;

Clearing your mind, you become clear;

Nurturing your children, you become impartial;

Opening your heart, you become accepted;

Accepting the world, you embrace the Way.

Bearing and nurturing,

Creating but not owning,

Giving without demanding,

This is harmony.

TaoDeChing - Lao Tze

Disagree all you want
Obviously... since philosophy is indeed debate and criticism.

The disease of Philosophy - Philosophy is itself the disease for which it pretends to be the cure: the wise man does not pursue wisdom but lives his life, and therein precisely does his wisdom lie.

Which, to me, doesn't depict philosophers as being particularly "wise".

So what is your philosophical contribution Qfwfq ??
I asked you a question about an opinion that you stated and with which I don't quite agree. If you are a philosopher, answer the question and be willing to debate...

:circle:

Sun-tzu said:

When doing battle, seek a quick victory.

A protracted battle will blunt weapons and dampen ardor.

If troops lay siege to a walled city, their strength will be exhausted.

If the army is exposed to a prolonged campaign, the nation's resources will not suffice.

When weapons are blunted, and ardor dampened, strength exhausted, and resources depleted, the neighboring rulers will take advantage of these complications.

Then even the wisest of counsels would not be able to avert the consequences that must ensue.

:cup:

:cup:

my philosophy is that I don't particularly care for qfwfq.

agree on anything..., nothing :lol:

my answer is unconcerned to please you or prove anything to you.

No, Racoon :eek2: This is not the behaviour I expect from you. It's not necessary to take this attitude because Q wants to engage you in a debate that is relevant to this thread. Please don't disappoint me. :(

Q, perhaps you could start a thread on the exact nature of philosophy? It seems to be a broad concept, and not one everyone agrees on. :doh:

"One of the greatest sins that can be committed by a Sufi teacher is to impart knowledge to a student before that student is ready.

. . . .

Celtic warriors first had to become poets before they went into battle.

. . .

. . .

Knowledge and power can go to our heads, inflating our own sense of worth and entitlement, leading to arrogance and hubris.

To truly serve ourselves and others well, knowledge must be balanced by love and compassion, channeled through the heart, and evaluated by the feeling function."

From "Lifting the Veil" Linda Jean Shepard (Dr.)Shambhala 1993 p 264

Sun-tzu said:

Generally, in battle, use the common to engage the enemy and the uncommon to gain victory.

Those skilled at uncommon maneuvers are as endless as the heavens and earth, and as inexhaustible as the rivers and seas.

Like the sun and the moon, they set and rise again.

Like the four seasons, they pass and return again.

There are no more than five musical notes, yet the variations in the five notes cannot all be heard.

There are no more than five basic colors, yet the variations in the five colors cannot all be seen.

There are no more than five basic flavors, yet the variations in the five flavors cannot all be tasted.

In battle, there are no more than two types of attacks:

Uncommon and common, yet the variations of the uncommon and common cannot all be comprehended.

:ud:

:

The thread, as its aptly titled ,is Asian Philosophy... Not a debate Q wants to start about Greeks like Sophos, Germanic origins of "wise", and whether or not if "how" is as important as "what" and "why" . :ud: As you suggested, he can start that "debate" somewhere else.

If Q wishes to challenge my statement, he can go read "Striking Thoughts ; Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living" Chapter 3: On Matters of Existence.. :)

I prefer to keep moving ahead.

Indeed, the name of the thread is 'Asian philosophy is eloquent'. However, this is a science forum, so debate is allowed (and certainly encouraged). Why is Asian philosophy eloquent? Does everyone regard it that way? What makes it different from other philosophies? There are many questions, and members are free to ask them, and also expect replies. If this is just going to be a thread full of quotations without any discussion, it may well be moved to the Watercooler.

Racoon, anyone is free to challenge any of your statements. Also, that person does not have to rely on the source material that you choose.