Science Forums

Asian Philosophy is Eloquent

Racoon

Anger may in time change to gladness; vexation may be succeeded by content. But a kingdom that has once been destroyed can never come again into being; norcan the dead ever be brought back to life. Hence the enlightened ruler is heedful, and the good general full of caution. This is the way to keep a country at peace and an army intact.

-said Sun-Tzu

Lao Tze said:

Not praising the worthy prevents contention,

Not esteeming the valuable prevents theft,

Not displaying the beautiful prevents desire.

In this manner the sage governs people:

Emptying their minds,

Filling their bellies,

Weakening their ambitions,

And strengthening their bones.

If people lack knowledge and desire

Then they can not act;

If no action is taken

Harmony remains.

Turtle's purport: This is a fine example of eloquent words full of selfish intent. Lao Tze, in his elite position of power & comfort, means to keep it for himself by a combination of dazzle & baffle.:)

Ultimate Stage

A monk asked Ryuge, "What did old Masters attain when they entered the ultimate stage?"

"They were like burglars sneaking into a vacant house", Ryuge replied

The ultimate stage being what? Total enlightenment?

I don't think i believe in "total enlightenment"

In a chaotic system like our brains we tend to use logic to push on and improvise, learning and making "it" up as we go

How can there be an ultimate stage?

Never complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Karma Yoga

All resistance is good―every problem to be solved, every negative force to be overcome, every low desire to be checked—because:

· Anger checked produces tolerance and kindliness.

· Greed checked produces generosity.

· Hatred checked produces compassion.

· Lust checked produces purity.

· Selfishness checked produces unselfishness.

· Attachment to work checked produces non-attachment, power, freedom.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A herbal student in his final year of a very long apprenticeship to a Master-Herbalist was ready for his final exam.

Fearful, he approached the master for his final test.

The master said "I want you to go and find a plant that is not useful for medicine".

Relieved by this easy request, the student set off.

He went high and low. Weeks went by, then months.

. . .

Finally a bedraggled, exhausted student crawled to his masters feet and said

"O master I have failed! I cannot find the plant you asked for"

"Arise my son", said the master for you have passed your final test.

An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.

Gautama Buddha

Fascinating! This is virtually the exact contradiction of a quote of Leonardo DaVinci's. To paraphrase, 'it is divine to conceive, but servile to execute'. Two such great men who gained their positions inspite of neither following the tenents of the other but both seeking positions. What a wonder is the world. :hihi:

Here's yet another

Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life...think of it, dream of it, live on it. Let your brain, muscles, nerves, all parts of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success

Swami Vivekananda

Incidentally this is the philosophy that the great archer Arjuna followed in the great Indian epic of Mahabharta

Here's yet another

Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life...think of it, dream of it, live on it. Let your brain, muscles, nerves, all parts of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success

Swami Vivekananda

Likewise, another Purport of Low Shoe: Having adhered to Swami Vivekananada's adage several times in this life - with and without knowledge of it - I see it is only a way , not the way. He seeks only to hypnotize in order to leave himself more leisure time by way of lessening his time answering pesky questions. I seem to recall Arjuna receiving reprimand from Krisna for not simply sticking to the one idea that he is a warrior and so get busy slaguhtering your relatives and stop thinking about the ramifications so eloquently. :hihi: