Science Forums

Asian Philosophy is Eloquent

Racoon

very nice but who pays the bills?

We all do of course. Mind you, I am posting to this thread on the sole basis of eloquence & not on the basis of any applicability.

The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Arjuna, because you are never envious of Me, I shall impart to you this most confidential knowledge and realization, knowing which you shall be relieved of the miseries of material existence.

--Bhagavad-gītā

The Art Of War

Chapter Thirteen:Using Spies

Sun-tzu said:

Foreknowledge cannot be elicited from ghosts and spirits;

it cannot be inferred from comparison of previous events, or from the calculations of the heavens, but must be obtained from people who have knowledge of the enemy's situation.

:naughty:

Bhagavad-gītā As It Is

The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Fearlessness; purification of one's existence; cultivation of spiritual knowledge; charity; self-control; performance of sacrifice; study of the Vedas; austerity; simplicity; nonviolence; truthfulness; freedom from anger; renunciation; tranquillity; aversion to faultfinding; compassion for all living entities; freedom from covetousness; gentleness; modesty; steady determination; vigor; forgiveness; fortitude; cleanliness; and freedom from envy and from the passion for honor — these transcendental qualities, O son of Bharata, belong to godly men endowed with divine nature.

All the world says,

"I am important;

I am separate from all the world.

I am important because I am separate,

Were I the same, I could never be important."

Yet here are three treasures

That I cherish and commend to you:

The first is compassion,

By which one finds courage.

The second is restraint,

By which one finds strength.

And the third is unimportance,

By which one finds influence.

Those who are fearless, but without compassion,

Powerful, but without restraint,

Or influential, yet important,

Cannot endure.

--TaoDeChing - Lao Tze--

:)

Is eloquence really an important aspect of philosophy? Sure it makes it easier to learn, but it doesnt make it any more true. Most Nazi propaganda was extremely eloquent, since the Nazis understood the power of rhetoric and the appeal of simple 'truths', but I suspect that few people here would find it to contain much truth.

Is eloquence really an important aspect of philosophy? ...I suspect that few people here would find it to contain much truth.

Truth, like gold, is where you find it. The point of the thread is not truth, but eloquence. Inasmuch as we here have read the words, perhaps a better representation is "Asian Philosophy Is Well Writ"?:)

Is eloquence really an important aspect of philosophy? Sure it makes it easier to learn, but it doesnt make it any more true. Most Nazi propaganda was extremely eloquent, since the Nazis understood the power of rhetoric and the appeal of simple 'truths', but I suspect that few people here would find it to contain much truth.

Interesting point & most likely true

but I think you are disturbing the Kama, probably also Dharma, artha, and moksha.

Do you have an example of Nazi philosophical eloquence?