Science Forums

Asian Philosophy is Eloquent

Racoon

From "Lifting the Veil" Linda Jean Shepard (Dr.)Shambhala 1993

Deepak Chopra discusses fascinating studies on the mechanics of perception that reveal how we limit our view of the world by our assumptions.

In India they train baby elephants by tying them to a green twig with a flimsy rope for weeks. As an adult, a twig-trained elephant tied to a big tree with an iron chain will snap the chain (or the tree) and walk away.

but when tied by a flimsy rope to a green twig, it does not even try to escape. It has learnt that is the extent of its universe.

except for a few pioneers, most animals remain stuck in patterns established early in life.

Good question Chacmool :evil: What do you consider to be eloquent?

I admire the economy of words - so much is said with so few words.

I wrote some of my ideas on the meanings of the Koans, but IN thought it best to let the reader decide, so I stopped.

Its open for contemplation and discussion, and appreciation...

In this particular thread...My debate is No debate. Let the words speak for themselves. Disagree or Agree.

I quite like seeing other people's interpretations. I think it adds a lot to the thread and should not be discouraged. And maybe it can also stimulate some (peaceful) debate. :)

Let a person meditate on the syllable Om, called the udgîtha; for the udgîtha is sung, beginning with Om.

The full account, however, of Om is this:--

The essence of all beings is the earth, the essence of the earth is water, the essence of water the plants, the essence of plants people, the essence of people speech, the essence of speech the Rig-veda, the essence of the Rig-veda the Sâma-veda , the essence of the Sâma-veda the udgîtha.

KHÂNDOGYA-UPANISHAD

Nasrudin walked into a village and stood on a chair in the market place.

When the crowd had collected, he declaimed:

'Know, O people, that the air here is similar to the air above my village'

'What makes you think so?' someone from the crowd shouted.

'Because I can see the same number of stars here as I can when I am there'

Sun-tzu said:

So the principles of warfare are:

Do not depend on the enemy not coming, but depend on your readiness against him.

Do not depend on the enemy not attacking, but depend on your position that cannot be attacked.

Therefore, there are five dangerous traits of a general:

He who is reckless can be killed.

He who is cowardly can be captured.

He who is quick tempered can be insulted.

He who is moral can be shamed.

He who is fond of the people can be worried.

These five traits are faults in a general, and are disastrous in warfare. :lol:

Śrī Krsna said to Arjuna:

Men in this world desire success in fruitive activities, and therefore they worship the demigods. Quickly, of course, men get results from fruitive work in this world.

According to the three modes of material nature and the work associated with them, the four divisions of human society are created by Me. And although I am the creator of this system, you should know that I am yet the nondoer, being unchangeable.

There is no work that affects Me; nor do I aspire for the fruits of action. One who understands this truth about Me also does not become entangled in the fruitive reactions of work.

-- Bhagavad-gītā --

:eek2:

Sun-tzu said:

Therefore there are five kinds of spies used:

Local spies, internal spies, double spies, dead spies, and living spies.

When all five are used, and no one knows their Way, it is called the divine organization, and is the ruler's treasure.

For local spies, we use the enemy's people.

For internal spies we use the enemy's officials.

For double spies we use the enemy's spies.

For dead spies we use agents to spread misinformation to the enemy.

For living spies, we use agents to return with reports.

:doh: