Science Forums

Who/What is God?

questor

I don't know too much about Hinduism, apart from their myriad of gods, nirvana, reincarnation and such.

But I can comment on Christianity, Islam and Judaism - seeing as they believe in the same God. The difference between these religions lies in the details.

They believe in God being omnipotent.

Omnipotence means, by definition, to have infinite power.

Infinite power, means having infinite energy at your disposal.

Energy equals mass. (NOT Sunday Mass, all you Catholics out there! :singer: )

The only thing we know of with infinite mass, is the Universe itself.

Therefore, God is the ENTIRE Universe, and the ENTIRE Universe is God. Including you, me, and anybody else you can think of. Even George Bush. If you take a single atom out of the equation, by, for instance, saying that Osama Bin Laden doesn't qualify, God can't be omnipotent.

Regular surfers/members/guests here should know by now what my beliefs regarding this matter are, but the above must be the case in order for the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God to be omnipotent.

I don't know too much about Hinduism, apart from their myriad of gods, nirvana, reincarnation and such.

But I can comment on Christianity, Islam and Judaism - seeing as they believe in the same God. The difference between these religions lies in the details.

actually in hinduism we believe the god is one (similar to omnipotent concept) but He is in lots of form ... thats you u can see myriads gods..... this simply means god exist in all forms and all place (entire universe is god) ...

jus to let you all to know, Hindus believes in all the religion based on the concept of god is one but in different form......

actually in hinduism we believe the god is one (similar to omnipotent concept) but He is in lots of form ... thats you u can see myriads gods..... this simply means god exist in all forms and all place (entire universe is god) ...

jus to let you all to know, Hindus believes in all the religion based on the concept of god is one but in different form......

all is God and God is all

that is pantheism

1. where does he live?

2. what does he look like?

3. what are his personality traits? does he interact with people?

4. what are his powers?

5. where is Heaven?

6. does Satan exist?

7. do angels exist?

8. do you have any other important comments on God?

Does anyone want to try answer these questions, with me?

do you think that whoever/whatever created the cosmos can be called God? if so, then all things came from Him and all atoms or particles make up his being. therefore, all good, evil, gravity, light and matter are God. it is obvious that God does not watch over us or care about our well being, but we are the products of his power. to those of us who must think of God as a Hindu, Christian , or Muslim being, it should be obvious that God is none of these. human religions only exist for human beings, the rest of the universe doesn't know and doesn't care. where does this leave us? we have a creator that created the means for us to exist, but doesn't care that we are here. too bad, but i can think of no other possibilities.

...Satan abides in the place called Hades (spirit place for beings who left paradise but still located in heaven) and yet he does retain a certain status in heaven as 'the accuser of the brethren' (Ever had someone try to point out your mistakes to make you look foolish? Well that is what Satan is like.)...

Hmm...I've never heard it put like that before (bold text). That's very interesting. Any idea where I might find more info?

do you think that whoever/whatever created the cosmos can be called God? if so, then all things came from Him and all atoms or particles make up his being. therefore, all good, evil, gravity, light and matter are God. it is obvious that God does not watch over us or care about our well being, but we are the products of his power. to those of us who must think of God as a Hindu, Christian , or Muslim being, it should be obvious that God is none of these. human religions only exist for human beings, the rest of the universe doesn't know and doesn't care. where does this leave us? we have a creator that created the means for us to exist, but doesn't care that we are here. too bad, but i can think of no other possibilities.

what would you say about the judgement day.?if God did not care then why would he have a judgement day?

if e/c2 (= matter or the physical existence) is a tiny part of E( for ease,E=e=God)

then e/c2 would also include proportionate attributes or qualities of God.

so God has consciousness,then the physical existence will also have consciousness.

if the entire universe is conscious then it must also be conscious of God .

God's 'judgement day' is not for 'good' people - but for evil people ('unrepentant' murderers, people who lie so that innocent people pay the price, brutes, etc.).

The only people who face a 'judgement day' in court are those who have 'done something wrong'.

IMO knowingly or unknowingly we all do a little wrong.

Omnipotence means, by definition, to have infinite power.

Infinite power, means having infinite energy at your disposal.

Energy equals mass. (NOT Sunday Mass, all you Catholics out there! :eek2: )

The only thing we know of with infinite mass, is the Universe itself.

Therefore, God is the ENTIRE Universe, and the ENTIRE Universe is God. Including you, me, and anybody else you can think of. Even George Bush. If you take a single atom out of the equation, by, for instance, saying that Osama Bin Laden doesn't qualify, God can't be omnipotent.

Regular surfers/members/guests here should know by now what my beliefs regarding this matter are, but the above must be the case in order for the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God to be omnipotent.

if GOD is omnipotent then He has to be greater than the sum total of the physical universe

=> the concept of GOD can not be the same as pantheism

IMO george w bush=osama b ladin

evil exists because GOD gave man that choice.i.e. having free will allowes man to do good and evil.

I think that's a great idea... I stopped following this thread a little while ago because of how off track it was getting.

6 Moderators of this Forum... I think if three agree that it should be closed, then it sould be. I'm not really sure if the original question was ever answered but I don't think it's becoming likely it ever will be if the thread continues in this direction :eek2:...

I think this thread is falling apart and straying veeeeery far from what the purpose of the thread was. I leave it up to the moderators of this particular forum but I would recommend closing it to start new threads.

I can say that I agree with this too. 300 posts is OK for threads like "Take a moment" but it seems a bit much for a discussion thread.

I think this thread is falling apart and straying veeeeery far from what the purpose of the thread was. I leave it up to the moderators of this particular forum but I would recommend closing it to start new threads.
I agree, it has certainly gone off topic. I am in favor of closing this thread. Any other moderators of the same opinion?