Science Forums

Who/What is God?

questor

What are you talking about?

If I caught the robe wearing dude's words right last time I was taken to a church, people at 'mass' symbolicly drink J.C.'s blood and eat his flesh. Cannibalism,figuratively that is.

Main Entry: can·ni·bal·ism

Pronunciation: 'ka-n&-b&-"li-z&m

Function: noun

1 : the usually ritualistic eating of human flesh by a human being

2 : the eating of the flesh of an animal by another animal of the same kind

3 : an act of cannibalizing something

It seriously creeped me out; I'm a flesh eater, but I don't think that human flesh should be even remotely thought of as a snack food.

this thread was meant to be a serious discussion on the perception or reality of a supreme being which may be the basis of all science and the creation of the cosmos. it seems to have become the dumping ground for some weird thoughts from people who are not really interested in the discussion or exchanging coherent ideas.

If I caught the robe wearing dude's words right last time I was taken to a church, people at 'mass' symbolicly drink J.C.'s blood and eat his flesh. Cannibalism,figuratively that is.

Main Entry: can·ni·bal·ism

Pronunciation: 'ka-n&-b&-"li-z&m

Function: noun

1 : the usually ritualistic eating of human flesh by a human being

2 : the eating of the flesh of an animal by another animal of the same kind

3 : an act of cannibalizing something

It seriously creeped me out; I'm a flesh eater, but I don't think that human flesh should be even remotely thought of as a snack food.

Well GAHD I'm not a catholic, and I do not believe that when you eat the bread or drink the wine, that it turns into flesh or blood..it remains what is was before (bread and wine/grape juice}. It is a SYMBOL of what you accepted, and a rememberence of what Christ did for you, and it is only for the Christians to partake in (not that you did a wrong thing). We dont physicaly munch of Christ, But God gives us eternal salvation threw Jesus Christ, and only threw him (which is free and easy to aquire)

Christ said that he was the living water and the living bread, in which you will never thirst or hunger again.

this thread was meant to be a serious discussion on the perception or reality of a supreme being which may be the basis of all science and the creation of the cosmos. it seems to have become the dumping ground for some weird thoughts from people who are not really interested in the discussion or exchanging coherent ideas.

Read up on the proven stories of the Bible.

Well GAHD I'm not a catholic, and I do not believe that when you eat the bread or drink the wine, that it turns into flesh or blood..it remains what is was before (bread and wine/grape juice}. It is a SYMBOL of what you accepted, and a rememberence of what Christ did for you, and it is only for the Christians to partake in (not that you did a wrong thing). We dont physicaly munch of Christ, But God gives us eternal salvation threw Jesus Christ, and only threw him (which is free and easy to aquire)

Christ said that he was the living water and the living bread, in which you will never thirst or hunger again.

I guess it depends on the flavor of christianity. In Catholic terms transubstaniation is the miricle that occurs durring the eucharist. It IS the body and blood of Christ. The other concept tied to Communion is consubstantiation, which was proposed by Luther. This concept is that it spiritually represents the flesh and blood, but is not actually a miricle performed and no cannibalism. Catholics still refute consubstantiaition.

I guess it depends on the flavor of christianity. In Catholic terms transubstaniation is the miricle that occurs durring the eucharist. It IS the body and blood of Christ. The other concept tied to Communion is consubstantiation, which was proposed by Luther. This concept is that it spiritually represents the flesh and blood, but is not actually a miricle performed and no cannibalism. Catholics still refute consubstantiaition.

the Catholics believe that the wine and bread becomes the flesh and blood of Jesue when you eat and drink it.

This is based on rituals and opinions, not based on the Bible's teaching. along with Mass, pugetory, confessing sin to a priest, praying to Mary and other saints, and etc. this is not taught in the Bible.

Guest loarevalo
this forum has discussed much about God and religion and the Bible, but i have not seen an accurate description of God in any of the threads. in any discussion it is imperative that

participants are talking about the same thing, so would some of you offer your description of God?

1. where does he live?

2. what does he look like?

3. what are his personality traits? does he interact with people?

4. what are his powers?

5. where is Heaven?

6. does Satan exist?

7. do angels exist?

8. do you have any other important comments on God?

I don't know much, only what I've read, have been taught - yet most of the knowledge I have gained of God isn't from man to man, but from the Holy Ghost to my spirit.

1. I don't know exactly where He lives, but He does not live on Earth. What one would say is that God lives on Heaven. But one asks, what is Heaven? then one would answer, is where God lives - circular.

2. He looks like us, like humans. He has a body of like we do, only His body is perfect, is not mortal, and by that matter His body is very different from ours. But He does have a head, and face, and mouth, and arms, and hands, etc... He wears a white robe. I don't know why, I don't know what for, neither have I seen Him, but that's how the ones that have seen Him describe him.

3. He has a personality, and He does interact with people. Jesus Christ is the perfect example of that, and His condecession answers many of the questions here asked - only He did not have a perfect resurrected body then, but shows such reality both as He was translated and as He shows himself after the resurrection to the apostles.

4. I don't know exactly, only that He has power over all the elements, all objects, mass, whatever you call it. The laws of nature are His decreeted laws. Therefore, He knows everything. He, however, has given mankind free agency, so the only thing He has no power over is our choices - He has granted us that most essential power.

5. I don't know where is Heaven. The way I see it, here on earth we are as fallen in a pit, inside a cave as in Plato's "allegory of the cave." As we are in that state of mortality and temporality there are many things we cannot discern and see (like spirits, and God, and Heaven) but could see if only our faith were that great. Heaven is not far from Earth, I think, and we could see where it is in the nightsky if only we had faith - that's my personal opinnion. Yet, Heaven is a very real place, like Earth is, and like the Milky Way is.

6. Satan, or Lucifer as is his name, does exist, and he roams the earth trying to destroy man and everything. Satan has no body like we do; he is a spirit, yet has power because he is very intelligent (he has a perfect knowledge of God and Heaven, vastly more than the knowledge we have), but has no power over man unless he is given by them. His power nonetheless is not comparable with that of God, or even with that of man, if only man would embrace his potential.

7. Angels exist. They are beings that either are about to come to earth (and be borne) or already came and died. Angels more broadly speaking are messenger, but unlike men, they are messengers sent from the presence of God. Sometimes, the term "angel" refers to any kind of unincorporated being (a spirit) - those also exist. Also sometimes, the Devil is said to have angels, by which is meant that he has under his allegiance spirits that, as he did, rejected coming to earth and receiving a body and pass through mortality, and thus reject God and the truth and live in that state of despair and misery.

8. The question: Does God exist? Is God real? is the most sublime and important question man makes himself. All of us have the responsability to answer that question personally.

Knowing that He does exist, having at many times doubted, I know that having that knowledge brings and incomparable amount of joy and insight - is like realizing while yet being inside the cave about the source of the light, and knowing the reality about that light and that great outside.

Obviously, there are volumes and volumes discussing these topics, I suggest that we all undertake to gain knowledge about this every day - it is that important!

actually, we are still evolving. we are learning more and more as a species every time a generation dawns. more history means more to know means more stuff means more to know.

you want to be normal right?

ADAPT!

Can you prove that 'we' are still evolving ??

We're doing for better/best mutation for better future or we're mutant to challange our original primate. Then perhaps someday we may discover original face of ourselves, that's 'we' are really 'True Aliens' on Earth.

I think we're in danger of getting off the evolutionary bus.

People tend to procreate with good-looking people. That's a major cause of why people try to look good in the first place. But trying to 'look good' also means people have orthodontic treatment, straightening teeth, plastic surgery, breast implants, nose jobs, etc. You have no gaurantee that the woman that's to be the mother of your child actually looks the way she does naturally. So - defunct genes (from an aesthetic point of view) that causes buck teeth and skew noses and small breasts won't disappear; they will spread through the populace and make orthodontists and plastic surgeons rich.

But selection for better, more healthy humans, have fallen by the wayside, I'm afraid. Unless gene therapy someday comes to the fore. But then we'll have artificial selection, I suppose.

But then again - this whole rant o'mine has nothing to do with the thread, so maybe we should return to the matter of Who/What is God?

:) The Bible is not a book from 'the minds of men' but human beings were inspired to write as God dictated the words to them. Pretend someone is dictating a letter to you, they are not your words, you are just writing down someone elses thoughts. And that is how God inspired men!

The 'universe' is not infinite. According to the Bible it will disappear one day and some astromoners are predicting 'the big rip' as the universe stretches too thin. (check out Universe Today 2004 archives). So if the universe is not infinite - what is on the other side?

God created certain 'rules of behaviour' which includes gravity, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, etc. God set up these rules of behaviour to create constancy - which we need or nothing could exist.

God Himself is a 'spirit (ethereal, metaphysical, immortal)' person - He exists on a plane we can hardly fathom.

According to the Bible, human beings are in three parts; spirit (immortal), soul (mortal) and body (mortal).

Picture a far superior entity beaming himself into human beings so that he could communicate with inferior creatures, in effect giving them supernatural (spirit) powers in part. At the same time this benevolent all-powerful being gives them the choice to completely ignore him, even to deny his existence, and you will have some idea of what God is like and what he has done for human beings.

Though we can't see into the spirit plane - we have a direct connect to God via our supernatural spirit. Chrystal ball reading, mediums, etc. are people who are using their 'supernatural spirit' to commune with the metaphysical world - this is not good. God gave human beings a spirit so that we could talk to him but mediums are communicating with bad spirits.

When the body dies their 'immortal spirit' goes 'back to God' who exists in the spirit realm, body and soul await the resurrection from the dead.

I agree

i read the book..(really i did )

God is Love it says

and Love implies One...> (not two) <

It is the most beautiful of all the concepts :)

ps:i think spirit means breath

in some sects the word 'spirit' may be referring to consciousness itself

(without consciousness i would be just a vegetable lying in the floor or asleep) :)