Science Forums

Who/What is God?

questor

Characterizing evolution as simply "chance" is pretty absurd. It is a bit more than that. Also, there is "mountains" of evidence supporting it.

-Will

I said many things are chance. I think if I have to chose between two things, one which involves chance to exist, and another which doesn't. The one that doesn't seems the more logical choise. If you think otherwise, that's your decision.

I didn't say I don't believe it... because I am what they call a "fence-rider" on the issue. :D I don't think it's more logical to believe in God. I think the purpose is exactly that. If God exists, she created it all (don't get all upset because I refer to God as a she) - and why, then, all the science? The purpose to me is clear - to make it more difficult for others to have that "faith" because the logic leads the other way. The point seems to be that logic and our capacity for it pull us away, but our test of faith is more difficult, because we must view the logic of science and then say, No, I choose to believe in God. That choice is faith - no matter what science tells you, you believe in God. Over the last few milennia, logic has pulled people farther and farther from religion, in my opinion - moreso in the last few hundred years when people were free to believe (and outwardly express) otherwise and not be killed for it. There are no absolutes in anything... Science is not perfect, but neither is the bible (if humans were involved, there is some error). Our job, should we choose to believe, is to look beyond the human side and find God; we believe or we do not, and this is faith. I can't say that faith is the opposite of logic, but more (in my opinion) belief in spite of logic. I don't think either is the more logical choice, at this point - I am learning, and searching, and considering. I learn as much science as I can, and then weigh the uncertainties of science with the uncertainties of religion and see where I am with faith. I haven't made the plunge yet; but I am thinking. If God does exist, I was given the ability to reason as I am for a reason; so that I could consider and have to make the choice of faith on my own, despite my ability for logic. That's how I feel about it. :D

"The Pineapple Story" I hear is a good book. It is a true story of a missionary (Otto Koning) and his work in New Guinea.

you can Google buy "Otto Konings book the pineapple story" if you just go "the pineapple story" you come up with several other diffrent books.

read it.

niviene, supose there is no life after death, and I die, and that is the end. What have I lost as a christian?

Supose that death is not the end, and you live on after you die, and you died? where would you be, and why is that?

The Devil has many ways or luring the world from the truth, which including other religion, and your "logic"

There's no such thing. Don't you ever notice in the news that all of the evil-doers claim to be acting in the name of God, not satan?

There's no such thing. Don't you ever notice in the news that all of the evil-doers claim to be acting in the name of God, not satan?
Do you know the Bible, and do you not know that there are alot of lost people preaching it in a way that sutes them? and like who are the evil-doers that claim that they are doing it in the name of the Lord? the Muslems?

God gives man his gifts. He wouldn't give men the ability to reason if he didn't mean them to use it.

-Will

God gives you the free gift of eternal life threw his son Jesus.

Although he desires all to recieve him, he gives you the choice to eather accept him or to reject him..it's your choice,

Do you know the Bible, and do you not know that there are alot of lost people preaching it in a way that sutes them? and like who are the evil-doers that claim that they are doing it in the name of the Lord? the Muslems?

First of all, the bible is not a source that proves anything. And no, it's not just radical muslims, it's also groups like the KKK and Aryan Nations which are christian organizations. It's irrelevant anyhow. Where do you see in the news anyone claiming their evil act in the name of satan? Come on, name one!

First of all, the bible is not a source that proves anything. And no, it's not just radical muslims, it's also groups like the KKK and Aryan Nations which are christian organizations. It's irrelevant anyhow. Where do you see in the news anyone claiming their evil act in the name of satan? Come on, name one!

Matthew 7:21-23 - (Jesus said) ""Not all people who sound religious are really godly. They may refer to me as `Lord,' but they still won't enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The decisive issue is whether they obey my Father in heaven. On judgment day many will tell me, `Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.' But I will reply, `I never knew you. Go away; the things you did were unauthorized." - NLT

Bill Clinton has been called, "America's first black president." Did that statement make his skin trun black? No, what was meant by that statement was Clinton's actions were consistent with what a black man would do as president. In the same way, members of the KKK, Aryan Nation, skinheads and other neo-Nazi groups may call themselves 'Christians' but their actions prove otherwise. The verses prior to the ones above explain it better than I can:

Matt 7:15-20 - (Jesus said) "Beware of false prophets who come disguised as harmless sheep, but are really wolves that will tear you apart. You can detect them by the way they act, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit. You don't pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles. A healthy tree produces good fruit, and an unhealthy tree produces bad fruit. A good tree can't produce bad fruit, and a bad tree can't produce good fruit. So every tree that does not produce good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire. Yes, the way to identify a tree or a person is by the kind of fruit that is produced."

Muslems arent Christian, neither is the KKK. And those Aryan Nations? Christianity is a personal thing, not a public nation wide thing.

"The Church of Jesus Christ"? do they not believe that they're the only true "Church"?

the "Church of the Latter Day Saints" is Mormon, which is another one of those "church"es

The KKK is nothing but a Satanic cult that (like many) have the Bible included in their fulse doctrine.

is this a "fact"?

Originally Posted by KKK Requirements

We emphasize ONE requirement for every person who decides to associate with The Knights, and that is that they conduct themselves with Christian character.

I don't think they suceeded in that.

this is why they burned the cross?

Clay, is this your view of the "Christian" community and the Bible?

You look at people who qoote the verse "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" and you say to me "that proves to me how flexable the Bible is."

This proves how Biblicaly illiterate and unknowlegeable people are toward the Bible.

You can take ANY book and twist it so that it is no longer saying what it originally sead. It is like somone saying one thing to you, and you telling others what he sead to you diffrently. Do you know how agrivated you can get when others do that to you?

Faith is what I lean on when it comes to Jesus and the Bible. You Clay, rely on faith every moment of the day, with everything you do..every day your kids (if you have any) have faith that they will see you again. Fact is, this world would die if faith did not exist.

Can anyone give me leginimate proof that there nothing after death, that once you die there is nothing?