Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

Weather here is insane, bushfires, floods heat waves, cold days, you name it.

The farmers have coped it again.

In Tassie even,9not in drought) there is not enough work for the fruit pickers.

One stupid thing -"parents" leaving their kids locked in the car while they "duck in' to a shop for a 'minute'. One kid died last week and two lots where rescued in WA (on a 40C day) by emergency services.

Their spokesperson said that on a 29 degree day© a car's internal temp will rise to 60C in 10 minutes and 80C in 20 minutes.

One "parent' left the air-conditioning on ,but this presents a whole host of different dangers!

Wish list

-a solar panel on the roof of my car that runs the air conditioning when I am parked.

Is this environmentally irresponsible?

We had thick white fog in the whole city yesterday and all the floor and wall were covered with moisture. (not to mention traffic was almost frozen)...But suddenly we got tough strong north wind blowing today with temperature dropped more than 10 degree (from 15 to 2 celsius).

The weather is like straight from warm Spring to cold Winter. Very strange indeed...

It's actually snowing in Hotlanta right now! ;)

Unfortunately it's not supposed to last so it looks like I'll have to go into work anyways. :hihi:

(That's my fresnel lens stand at the bottom of the pic btw. One leg broke off from a downed branch and it's awaiting the spring for repairs.)

We're in a cold snap here in the lower Columbia, and there is a strong East wind ripping down the gorge. :cup:

Temps drop below freezing; cold snap is just beginning | Local News | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington

I'll be back in a while with some time-lapse of 60-70 mph winds tearing the snow off of Mt. Hood. :cup: They've shut down the ski lifts up there at Timberline, and the temp is ~6º F ;) :fly:

Aha I was expecting some crazy close-up time lapse snow movement :hyper:

Music was GREAT. :applause:

I'll pass the props on the music on to Mo. :agree: Weatherwise, this kind of steady & strong East wind sufficient to blow the snow off the volcano top is crazy! That is to say, I live in a microclimate that is unique in the world. While the cold system is coming down from the North, it is the Columbia River Gorge that is channeling it East and across Mount Hood and spilling out onto me in the 'Lower Columbia'.

I love weather! It is often not what one expects.:eplane: :)

Turtle

I love weather! It is often not what one expects

this is very true Turtle, I Think the mystery of not knowing is it's allure.

the weather here is up and down (80º F then 40º F) hot and dry for three days then cold and wet for three days, although the up and down temps are fairly normal for this area (Florida) but the rain we've been getting is unusual as this is our dry season and I've received 3.5 in within the last week, the last front that came through had some tornado activity with it. :)

PS. I liked the video. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Duluth Minnesota.

Not sure what the temp was when we got there at 10:30am but would estimate -17 to -18. With windchill, I would estimate -35. Their low last night was -22 (-30 c). -20 f goes beyond crisp into painfully cold. Everyone should experience too cold to breath at least once in their lifetime.

Just got back from Duluth Minnesota.

Not sure what the temp was when we got there at 10:30am but would estimate -17 to -18. With windchill, I would estimate -35. Their low last night was -22 (-30 c). -20 f goes beyond crisp into painfully cold. Everyone should experience too cold to breath at least once in their lifetime.

Wow, that's cold!

The coldest weather I've been in was in Germany when it was apparently -1o C the night I walked back to my room from the pub. That was cold enough for me! :confused:

Uhh...no thanks. That's why I live in Georgia. :phones:

bok bok bok, Chicken!! I actually saw people running around with no hats that day! People up there are nuts. And very tough.

The coldest weather I've been in was in Germany when it was apparently -1o C the night I walked back to my room from the pub.

There are some cool things about that kind of cold. If you take bubbles (like the kid soap toy with the wand thingy) the bubbles actually freeze as bubbles. Where my kid works they were having fun throwing really hot water up into the air and making snow (ice crystals), one cup at a time.

Sound carries forever. I could hear my neighbors talking in their house (about a block away). I couldnt hear the actual words but I knew which one was talking. If they were outside talking, I could hear the conversation. And you can hear all the animals. Deer walking thru the woods. Mice under the snow eating seeds or moving around. Rabbits hopping. And in the morning, every neighbor out scraping their windshields. And lots of people say screw this and call in sick (or their car wont start), so the morning rush hours arent so bad :headache:

And finally, when it warms up to 0 (-15c or so) ya go out side and think... Hey this aint so bad.