Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

I've never posted on this forum before because I really didn't want to post on an introduction forum, but now I've found a weather forum!

I absolutely love storms. Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, and Tornado's...Love them, I absolutely think that they are amazing and beautiful to watch and be a part of. I have not been IN a Tornado, I've come close (tornado's touched down about ten minutes from my house before and I've either been on vacation or in another part of the county). I have been a dozens of Hurricanes, most recently Hurricane Gaston, and that was an amazing experience, especially because I was OUT IN IT. My best friend got stuck in the city of Richmond. Normally, it takes me 10 minutes to get to where she was from my county.

It took 2 and 1/2 hours. Everything was flooded, like, ridiculously flooded...the toll plaza had to close due to flooding as Im going to get this poor girl, and I see a car on the SAME SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY AS ME COMING AT ME!

COMING AT ME!!!!!!!! I was like, "this dude is definitely on the wrong side of the road, and Im going to die. Period."

It was still fun though.

I love a good Hurricane, I love watching the clouds roll in, I love the rain, the lightening, the thunder....now, if I could only get a picture of a really good Tornado!

What was the highest rating of hurricane you have been through? It's been my experience that a persons fascination with hurricanes goes down drastically as the hurricane intensity goes up:hihi:Around category three they simply become something you want to be over as soon as possible, category four is terrifying and category five is a nightmare:eek_big:

Me too; but we are S-t-r-a-n-g-e people.

No doubt! I'm a storm nut too. I have literally felt upset and depressed when an impending storm dissapates and turns into nothing. :esad:

I just love the energy in the air, the power of nature, and the feeling of concern and anticipation. I love the strong wind gusts and the approaching rumble of thunder and lightning, and the heavy downpours. :doh:

I love the weather bulletins and the interruptions of regularly scheduled broadcasts with impromtu statements by the local meteorologists and the watches and warnings issued by the National Weather Service. :)

It's just exciting stuff. :(

No doubt! I'm a storm nut too. I have literally felt upset and depressed when an impending storm dissapates and turns into nothing. :esad:

I just love the energy in the air, the power of nature, and the feeling of concern and anticipation. I love the strong wind gusts and the approaching rumble of thunder and lightning, and the heavy downpours. :doh:

I love the weather bulletins and the interruptions of regularly scheduled broadcasts with impromtu statements by the local meteorologists and the watches and warnings issued by the National Weather Service. :)

It's just exciting stuff. :(

I think you're just an ion junky:hihi:

WOW! I just finished recording a 2 1/2 hour thunderstorm! :) I have dozens of lightning strikes, thunder that rattles the house, and torrential rain.

Nestled as I am at the throat of the great Columbia River gorge, most of our storms roll in from the West off the Pacific Ocean on the leading edge of the counter-clockwise rotation. However this time, a large low down in Nevada nudged North and set up an Eastern flow on the trailing edge of the counter-rotating system and up and over the Cascades and also funneling down the gorge. As best I could tell, the closest strike to me was ~1 mile distant. That was a corker!

Well, the thing is done and I have hours of editing yet to do. Don't touch that dial! :sherlock:

WOW! I just finished recording a 2 1/2 hour thunderstorm! :) I have dozens of lightning strikes, thunder that rattles the house, and torrential rain.

Way Cool!

I'd like to hear that on my old Electro-Voice speakers. :sherlock:

I haven't looked thru the 28 pages yet, but is this familiar to you?

I was member #300 something; and I never missed a day for eight years, but an injury knocked me off my record about a year ago. :turtle:

CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network

:naughty:

Way Cool!

I'd like to hear that on my old Electro-Voice speakers. :naughty:

I haven't looked thru the 28 pages yet, but is this familiar to you?

I was member #300 something; and I never missed a day for eight years, but an injury knocked me off my record about a year ago. :earth:

CoCoRaHS - Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network

:turtle:

Sounds familiar, but I never registered with anyone, and I was only regular for a few months with my personal records. :sherlock: I still keep a rain gauge but I don't record it any more. Well, it's 20 to 4 here and I have the movie. Enjoy. :)

YouTube - Thunderstorm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiKtxqmSizc

There is a line of thunderstorms moving through our area right now. I just heard the first sound of thunder. :eek2:

My anticipation is peeking and I'm hurrying to write this so I can go outside and catch some of the show before the downpours arrive.

We are currently in a Flash Flood Watch, a Tornado Watch, and wind gusts of up to 50 mph are expected with torrential rainfall and some hail.

I bet I get some lightning strikes well within a 1 kilometer radius, Turtle.

I'll report back afterward. :shrug:

A tornado hit sw of me yesterday. Hugo (pronounced Hugh-go) took the hit.

Tornado producing t-cells are something to behold for anyone interested in weather.

Around 45 mins before touchdown I began watching the approaching storm. This one was unusual in that a clear front did not form. It was unusually quiet (windwise) for an approaching t-storm. Calm. Except for the background noise.

I listened to massive winds moving high in the western sky. The winds were roaring with the same sound as a very busy freeway a few miles away, or a train. The way I would interpret the sound was air moving North to south or south to north. Hard to tell which direction when the whole western sky was echoing this noise. Then it shifted to straight east to west movement as the storm was sucking in wet air like a giant vacuum. The sky above me began to roar with the sound of air movement. But the wind on the ground level was very light to moderate. A few short bursts of 20-25 mph. Thats not a big deal and unusually spooky for such a strong storm on radar.

The noise above me shifted to a few miles south of me and the whole southern horizon was roaring. It began to hail outside. Marble sized and covering the ground white. I went out and covered my windshield and couldnt believe how calm the winds were. Rain and hail were falling straight down. The winds here were so calm I did not even shut house windows. The tornado hit around 15 mins after the hail began here. Right around the time the hail ended, is when the tornado touched down (estimate). The cell passed by and I could hear the backside of the storm, still roaring with the power of the train wreck sized vacuum.

Star Tribune photo gallery:

See the destruction in Hugo, Coon Rapids

Google Earth area of tornado hit.

Those are some unbelievable photos, Cedars. That must have been an intense storm. Those hailstones in the last photo were larger than golf balls. :eek: I've never experienced hail that size. Based on the damage, it looks like the tornado was probably an F3, is that right? I always feel so horrible for the victims. What a challenge it is to deal with such a tragedy.

About how far away are you from Hugo?

-----------------------------

By the way, the storm that passed through here last night fizzled and seemed to lose intensity just as it arrived in my area. The thrust of the storm pushed South away from us.

We got some decent winds as the gust front moved through but I've seen it much more intense. We ended up with relatively light and steady rains with an occasional rumble that lasted for several hours through the night.

Had we put money on it Turtle, I would have lost. There was maybe one lightling strike within a mile. :)

I guess we'll see what happens today. They're calling for more strong storms this afternoon. ;)

Forcast for Atlanta, GA:

Lots of sunshine. High 81F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

Perfect! :)

Enjoy your beautiful Memorial Day.

Will do! Enjoy yours as well. :eek:

P.S. Whatcha grillin'? ;)

I'm pretty excited about the food! My roommates girlfriend is from Honduras and she has been marinating carne asada for about 24 hours now. She's also making black bean soup with cilantro. I'm going to the store shortly to get some corn and beer and we should be good to go. About 12 people are expected to come over. Good times! :)

Those are some unbelievable photos, Cedars. That must have been an intense storm. Those hailstones in the last photo were larger than golf balls. :) I've never experienced hail that size. Based on the damage, it looks like the tornado was probably an F3, is that right? I always feel so horrible for the victims. What a challenge it is to deal with such a tragedy.

A buddy just left who happened to be on the freeway when this went by. Yes they are talking F3. The description my buddy gave:

Had to stop the truck. Couldnt see through the hail. Cars were going sideways slipping on the hail. He said it was about 4 inches deep on the freeway. Everything was solid white, couldnt see any green on the ground. Golfball to tennis ball sized hail. He couldnt believe he didnt loose a window in the truck but saw cars with blown out windows.

Watched the Hugo exit sign twist back and forth then spin around and break loose. That didnt scare him as much as the 10 -12" (base size) tree that was spinning around and around infront of him and crashed onto the freeway about 20-30 feet infront of his truck. Blocked the road. He said and within seconds of that it was over and dead calm. Spooky calm.

His kid went on to describe debris flying through the air and how brown it was with wood, dirt, plywood chucks, etc.

He was in his big work truck on the way back from a buddies farm. The truck has a winch on it so he hooked up to the tree and pulled it off the freeway, and the 300 cars blocked off behind him cheered, beeped and waved.

Today he came through the area and the cops let him pass, thinking he was a part of the clean up crew he guesses (back in the work truck). He described farm fields completely covered in debris. From his point of view, he says of the houses standing, most have holes in them the size of softballs, on all sides of the houses from the swirling debris. He says the area is totaled.

• 3 weeks later...

:);):circle: Dateline Vancouver USA 50ºF on my porch right now, cloudy & raining. :bounce:

PORTLAND, Ore. -- If you think June has been unseasonably cold, you're right. Through the first nine days of the month, the average daily high temperature in Portland has been only 62.2 degrees. That's the coldest start to the month since 1999.

Heavy snow falls in Cascades again Tues. And according to KGW Meteorologist Dave Salesky, Tuesday was likely to be another day for the record books, with Portland expected to tie or break the record for 59 degrees as the lowest high temperature on this date.

Salesky said it's the coldest June in Washington state since the 1890s. ...

Coldest 'June-uary' in nearly 10 yrs | Local News | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington