Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

bok bok bok, Chicken!!

Wow, I haven't heard that since third grade. :phones:

I actually saw people running around with no hats that day! People up there are nuts. And very tough.

nuts...check

tough...check

There are some cool things about that kind of cold. If you take bubbles (like the kid soap toy with the wand thingy) the bubbles actually freeze as bubbles. Where my kid works they were having fun throwing really hot water up into the air and making snow (ice crystals), one cup at a time.

Cool! I've never heard about the bubble phenomena. What do they look like? Can you snap a picture of some?

Sound carries forever. I could hear my neighbors talking in their house (about a block away). I couldnt hear the actual words but I knew which one was talking. If they were outside talking, I could hear the conversation. And you can hear all the animals. Deer walking thru the woods. Mice under the snow eating seeds or moving around. Rabbits hopping. And in the morning, every neighbor out scraping their windshields. And lots of people say screw this and call in sick (or their car wont start), so the morning rush hours arent so bad :cheer:

You forgot to mention chickadees peeping. :cheer:

And finally, when it warms up to 0 (-15c or so) ya go out side and think... Hey this aint so bad.

It's all relative I suppose. :headache:

The pictures on that site show people playing with the bubbles in -35F weather. :) They don't look like they're dressed warm enough to me. :)

I dunno.. They all have gloves on. :eek: And I bet they are not far from the door (guessing 20-30 feet max).

Interesting page I found:

USATODAY.com

One thing from this last cold snap. We had warm temps the day before the front moved in so there was alot of snow melt. At around -15 the trees (and something on the nw corner of my house) began to pop. Whats happening is ice is expanding and cracks are forming in the trunks of trees. I've seen some of these crack almost 1/2 inch wide and 20 feet long. The trees usually heal up pretty good, but you can spot the scars later. And the noise they make. Like the crack of a gun or lightning without the thunder. Its woke me up at night or made me jump at the computer.

Snippet from another page:

AT THE DULUTH AIRPORT THE RECORD OF CONSECUTIVE HOURS OF BELOW ZERO TEMPERATURES IS 186 HOURS FROM JANUARY 12 THROUGH THE 20TH, 1994.

DURING THE COLD SNAP OF 1996 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AT DULUTH RECORDED 164 CONSECUTIVE HOURS OF BELOW ZERO TEMPERATURES. THE TEMPERATURE DROPPED TO -1 AT 400 PM ON JANUARY 29 AND FINALLY ROSE TO ABOVE ZERO AT NOON ON FEBRUARY 5TH. THE LOW TEMPERATURE ON FEBRUARY 2 WAS MINUS 39 AND THE HIGH TEMPERATURE THAT DAY WAS MINUS 21.

Cold Mid-January

I think it was the '94 cold snap when the twin cities area went like 160 hours below zero. I know I was working a 2nd shift job and driving a diesel econo car when one of those two snaps went thru. It sucked. I was constantly worried my fuel would gel.

well I've seen -20 in Colorado, and I know Cedars is glad that he won't have to go back for some pic's. :idea:

but at least we not asking him join the polar bear club. :idea:

:eek: :) :)

Welcome to Coney Island Polar Bear Club

There are some nut cases that do that around here too. I think new years day is a biggie. They show it on the news sometimes. Goofy suckers actually chain saw their way thru the ice so they can get to the water. Nope. Not me. Nooo way.

There are some nut cases that do that around here too. I think new years day is a biggie. They show it on the news sometimes. Goofy suckers actually chain saw their way thru the ice so they can get to the water. Nope. Not me. Nooo way.

I've heard swimming in icy water provides benefits for all sorts of ailments, both physical and mental.

I remember when I was a kid, my parents (during their health nut phase) would wake at the crack of dawn in winter and walk bare foot on the grass when there was frost. I haven't looked into this so I'm not entirely sure what the benefits are and if they're true.

Cedars

Ya, I have saw that on the TV too, but you won't catch my breaking the ice for a swim.

:doh: forgive me Cadars :bloom:

Yesterday a colleague and I were laughing at the irony that the state-wide tornado drill scheduled for today was canceled due to impending inclement weather.

They weren't joking!! :eek2:

Twisters ravaged just about the entire SE. We didn't get any in the metro-Atlanta area, but they passed through northern Georgia.

-More than 50 tornados

-At least 52 dead

ABC News: Twisters Sweep the South, Killing 52

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I heard the air sirens go off, I jumped on weather.com and saw a flashing red bar for my zipcode with a tornado warning. A tornado was spotted about 20 minutes ago approximately 20 miles to the west of me. ;)

The system seems to have cleared through now.

Here's the official update:

Tornado Warning Update

/O.EXP.KFFC.TO.W.0018.000000T0000Z- 080308T0145Z/ PAULDING GA-COBB GA- 841 PM EST FRI MAR 7 2008

...THE TORNADO WARNING FOR WEST CENTRAL COBB AND EAST CENTRAL PAULDING COUNTIES WILL BE ALLOWED TO EXPIRE AT 845 PM EST...

AT 839 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THE STORM THAT MAY HAVE HAD A TORNADO EARLIER HAS WEAKENED CONSIDERABLY. THE TORNADO WARNING WILL BE ALLOWED TO EXPIRE AT 845 PM.

IF SEVERE WEATHER IS EXPECTED TO PERSIST BEYOND THE EXPIRATION TIME OF THIS WARNING...A NEW WARNING WILL BE ISSUED.

IF YOU SEE WIND DAMAGE...LARGE HAIL OR SIGNIFICANT FLOODING...WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE STORM HAS PASSED...AND THEN CALL THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOLL FREE AT 1 8 6 6 7 6 3 4 4 6 6.

And on top of that, we should get snow tomorrow (with slight accumulation)! :D

(It approached nearly 70 degrees F here today)

1 1/2 inches of rain in my gauge the last 2 days in the West Cascades foothills, and the precipitation is falling as snow in the mountains. The snowpack throughout the Cascades is at record levels and boding avalanches and flooding when the warming comes. My hiking may have to wait a while for the snowmelt, and it may stop altogether if the melt wipes out the forest roads. :hihi:

Record Cascade snow could mean extreme spring avalanche danger - USATODAY.com

MOUNT PILCHUCK, Wash. — Experts are warning that record snowfall this season has built up the potential for huge spring avalanches with the power to cause extensive damage to mountain hillsides, roads and bridges.

Nearly 10 feet of winter snow has accumulated already in parts of the Cascades, including near Stevens Pass. If a massive slab of snow were to break off — and conditions are in place for this type of avalanche to occur — it could ravage the landscape, destroying timber stands, homes, roads and whatever else is in the avalanche's path.

"There's the potential for something really big," said Mark Moore, director of the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center.

This winter already is the worst avalanche season in Washington in modern history. Since December, three Snohomish County residents are among the nine people from Washington who have died in avalanches.