Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

I was going to try the video method with the electrical storm moving thorough, but the storm is fierce enough that all I had to to was point and click. :phones: This was one of the first shots I took. I shifted the histogram in the second file being it's daytime.

Nice! Tie goes to the runner. :eek: I think I have bad air 'cause most of my bolts lack the side branches that you caught. :)

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday, for a lightning bolt today. :) :cheer:

• 2 months later...

The first Big storm of the season is comin' on in! :) This is a rain & wind storm riding the jet stream in off the Pacific and I don't expect & any thunder or lightning here. :shrug: Stay tuned..............:)

Storm expected to batter coast, dump rain on Metro area | Local News | kgw.com | News for Oregon and SW Washington

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The strongest storm so far this year was moving into Oregon and Southwest Washington early Tuesday morning, with major downpours and high winds in some areas.

KGW forecast "It's going to be a wet, very wet day. Rain will continue through the afternoon and overnight. One of our computer models shows Portland might get close to 3 inches of rain in the next 36 hours. Wow! Wind gusts on the Oregon Coast will reach 60 miles an hour late Tuesday and Tuesday night and the beaches could get up to 3 inches of rain," said KGW Meteorologist Dave Salesky. "Some parts of the coast range could be pushing 8 inches of rain."

:D

Wet?! In the PNW this time of year?! :hihi:

;)

Liquid sunshine. :naughty::shrug: Not much wind in my immediate area, but some light damage with toppled trees in the wider region. Few power outages yet either. I just measured .9 inches in 25 hours on my porch. It's raining steadily and more to come. The widest danger is flooding & with fallen leaves clogging drains & littering walks we get localized problems. I got my exercise today by sweeping the public walks nearby. A lot of people whose yard has a fence next to the walk conveniently forget it is the property owners responsibility to maintain the walk free of leaves and/or snow. :shrug: :) Then there are such homes sitting vacant & with no one to forget. :eek: No worries. :cap:

That's a wrap from waterworld. :) :Alien:

3 tenths of an inch of rain in the gauge in the last hour. :naughty: 58º F & little wind. barometer 30.00" and steady. i walked around & checked a few nearby street drains & they are OK so far. Our system here in greater metropolitan Vancouver USA does not put storm-drain runoff into the sewer system & treatment plant, rather it runs directly into swales & and/or creeks.

That's all I got. :shrug:

• 5 weeks later...

Current temp: 30 F

Barometer: 30.25"

Hunkerin' down boy!! :winter_brr:;):xmas_sheep:

Arctic blast bears down on region | Local News | kgw.com | News for Portland Oregon and SW Washington

PORTLAND -- Get ready for wind, rain, the coldest temperatures in years -- and maybe snow!

A one-two punch of winter weather will sweep into the region this weekend, according to KGW Meteorologist Dave Salesky.

The storm arrives Friday morning, hitting the Oregon Coast with heavy rain and winds up to 60 - 70 mph. That weather system will also dump heavy snow in the Cascades and make for treacherous travel across Oregon's mountain passes.

In Portland, the daytime temps on Friday will still be in the 40's so the front end of the system will likely arrive as rain. The valley will also see high winds, with gusts as high as 50 mph. ...

It's go time! Today bright & Sunny, & bitterly cold. :) :)

barometer: 29.95 & rising

temperature: 20º F

humidity: ~50%

Where I am in metropolitan Vancouver USA, we got ~2" of snow but it was dry & simply blew away. East winds continue steady at ~15 mph with gusts to 40+. If I had more brass & less sense I'd get out to the field with my big kite & give 'er a try. :eek: :D

So we're in for a deep freeze like we haven't seen in decades, and I can tell you there is going to be plenty of work for the plumbers when the thaw comes. :cap: I just cut inserts from some corrugated paperboard and covered all the vents in the foundation. I leave them open normally as there is a good likeliehood of radon gas here, but for this short-term deep freeze it's better to keep the pipes protected. :)

Storm snarls roads, closes Portland schools | Local News | kgw.com | News for Portland Oregon and SW Washington

A low pressure system off the Washington Coast moved south into the Metro region on Sunday, bringing with it much colder air, causing sticking snow all the way to the valley floor.

"All that cold air will be moving through the Gorge and into the Metro region and Cascades," said KGW Meteorologist Dave Salesky. "We will see record-breaking cold temperatures through Sunday night and Monday night."

"In the seven-day forecast, daytime highs won't get above about 32 degrees from Wednesday through Saturday," Salesky added.

Monday will bring bitter, arctic cold, Salesky said, with sub-zero wind chills in and around the Columbia River Gorge. ...

• 3 weeks later...
I really liked this video. It sort of fits here. But I figured y'all would appreciate it. :)

The Sky In Motion

Velly nice! I notice the caption notes all the unique things to look for...except the contrails! :( Shhhhhh. :(

Santa brought me a new little electronic weather station. :( External temp sensor is wireless, clock sets from atomic clock in Colorado, high/low temp & humidity functions, 12 hour barometer record, inside temperature, weather 'forecast' and other stuff I haven't learnt yet. :hihi:

Currently:

temp: 49.6 F

barometrer: 29.47 & falling

humidity: 49.6%

Raining & cloudy :1.4" of rain in last 24 hours

Flood warnings in some low lying and coastal areas

:hyper:

Velly nice! I notice the caption notes all the unique things to look for...except the contrails! :( Shhhhhh. :(

Santa brought me a new little electronic weather station. :( External temp sensor is wireless, clock sets from atomic clock in Colorado, high/low temp & humidity functions, 12 hour barometer record, inside temperature, weather 'forecast' and other stuff I haven't learnt yet. :hihi:

Currently:

temp: 49.6 F

barometrer: 29.47 & falling

humidity: 49.6%

Raining & cloudy :1.4" of rain in last 24 hours

Flood warnings in some low lying and coastal areas

:hyper:

Hey, I have one of those too. I got mine for Christmas a couple of years ago. The one I have is made by La Crosse Technologies. It has similar functions as your's but it doesn't have the Atomic Clock feature. I have to set it myself and it doesn't really keep time all that well (I am due for a battery change though). The weather forcast feature is strictly barometer based so it's really generalized but amazingly accurate. I think understanding barometric pressure variances, particularly how they relate to varying temperatures, is a key to understanding weather patterns.

It's pretty interesting to have around and seems a perfect gift for you as well. :)

I knew you'ld like the video. Seems right up your alley. As for the contrails, I just pretended like they were from meteors. ;)

Hey, I have one of those too. I got mine for Christmas a couple of years ago. The one I have is made by La Crosse Technologies. It has similar functions as your's but it doesn't have the Atomic Clock feature. I have to set it myself and it doesn't really keep time all that well (I am due for a battery change though). The weather forcast feature is strictly barometer based so it's really generalized but amazingly accurate. I think understanding barometric pressure variances, particularly how they relate to varying temperatures, is a key to understanding weather patterns.

It's pretty interesting to have around and seems a perfect gift for you as well. :)

I knew you'ld like the video. Seems right up your alley. As for the contrails, I just pretended like they were from meteors. ;)

Erhm...yeah...meteors; that's the ticket. :hyper: What weather altering contrails meteor trails? :eplane: We do have a Happy G article here somewhere on how meteoric dust affects the climate, but that's another matter and not related to weather. :eek2:

Mine is La Crosse too! They weren't very clear in the instructions on setting the relative barometric pressure, but it was clear the instructions were written by a non-native English writer. :eek_big: Anyway, I got it figured that I just set that to the pressure given by the local weather station as that is adjusted for altitude. I'm good to go now boy!!! :hihi:

Another 1.2 inches of rain in my gauge since last report & still falling!! Can we say deluge. :help: Turtles love unruly weather. :turtle: :)

• 3 weeks later...

It's snowing! This is the first real snow fall we've had in 15 years! It's been an unusually cold winter so far and the snow is great! The entire area is paralyzed! No one knows how to handle snow here. I've feeding the birds, it's rough on them and I've found way to many dead ones this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Adelaide is experiencing a heat wave.

I don't think I've experienced it this hot before - temperatures in the 40s with overnight 'lows' in the 30s. It all began on Tuesday with Wednesday peaking at 45oC, and the forcast for the next week (at least until next Thursday) is around 40oC.

post-1914-128210105782_thumb.jpg

There have been endless power failures around the state, with some suburbs without power for 8 hours. Air conditioners aren't working properly and there is no cold water coming out of the taps. I've already had enough of not sleeping and sweating most of the time!

Train lines have even buckled:

post-1914-128210105761_thumb.jpg

Fingers crossed for some relief next weekend...

Adelaide is experiencing a heat wave.

Train lines have even buckled:

Victoria and parts of Tassie too

For our "metrically challenged" friends across the Big Ditch

113 ºF = 45 ºC

104 ºF = 40 ºC

Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion calculator

That is in the shade and on the coast, not the outback where it would be hotter.

On TV the morning show presenter was cooking his breakfast on a tin roof.