Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

A slew of tornadoes just ripped through Atlanta.

Local Interactive Weather Map for Marietta, GA (30060) - weather.com

Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John Oxendine estimated damage from Friday night's storm at $150 million to $200 million. He said at least $100 million of the damage was at the Georgia World Congress Center, a state convention facility near the CNN Center and the Georgia Dome.

He said the storm broke through the roof, sucking walls, glass and furnishings out like a vacuum.

"Had the building been occupied by a significant number of people, you would probably have had major injuries and loss of life," he said.

FOXNews.com - Deadly Tornado Hits Georgia Saturday on Heels of Friday Storm That Ripped Through Downtown Atlanta - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

My brother had 1/2" hail cove his lawn as he was on the outskirt of a twister system. Apparently, the news media are reporting that the hail demarcates the boundary of twister systems. Does anyone have any info on this?

My brother had 1/2" hail cove his lawn as he was on the outskirt of a twister system. Apparently, the news media are reporting that the hail demarcates the boundary of twister systems. Does anyone have any info on this?

Hail often accompanies tornadoes, but not always. I get the impression it takes a larger storm to produce hail, and the bigger the storm, the stronger the updrafts, the more cycles of ice-coating on the hail, and so the bigger it is when it falls. Conversely, you can have a hail storm & no tornado. Here's some info on tornado formation: >> Tornado Preparedness and Response

• 2 weeks later...

The early morning snow came & went at my elevation (~300 feet amsl) while I slept. No worries however, as I was bright-eyed & bushy-tailed for the hail storm at 1pm this afternoon. Lasted about 15 to 20 minutes, and max hail-stone size ~2mm. Now melted. Here's a short vid of the shower. ;)

YouTube - Hail shower - Sifton, Washington http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJZ4lWyCNY

• 1 month later...

I've never posted on this forum before because I really didn't want to post on an introduction forum, but now I've found a weather forum!

I absolutely love storms. Thunderstorms, Hurricanes, and Tornado's...Love them, I absolutely think that they are amazing and beautiful to watch and be a part of. I have not been IN a Tornado, I've come close (tornado's touched down about ten minutes from my house before and I've either been on vacation or in another part of the county). I have been a dozens of Hurricanes, most recently Hurricane Gaston, and that was an amazing experience, especially because I was OUT IN IT. My best friend got stuck in the city of Richmond. Normally, it takes me 10 minutes to get to where she was from my county.

It took 2 and 1/2 hours. Everything was flooded, like, ridiculously flooded...the toll plaza had to close due to flooding as Im going to get this poor girl, and I see a car on the SAME SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY AS ME COMING AT ME!

COMING AT ME!!!!!!!! I was like, "this dude is definitely on the wrong side of the road, and Im going to die. Period."

It was still fun though.

I love a good Hurricane, I love watching the clouds roll in, I love the rain, the lightening, the thunder....now, if I could only get a picture of a really good Tornado!

____I love all things weather! With varying degrees of intensity & ambition I measure & observe my local weather asiduously. I keep a rain gauge, I video tape clouds, I note trends & extremes, & in general observe weather.

___Currently I live in a rather unique weather region, being on a hiil composed of Missoula flood deposits from 11,000 year ago & banking the Columbia River. Today we have generaly clear weather, the barometer is steady at 30.0 and strong gusty winds.

___Anyway, any of you all weather watchers? Seen any spectacular phenomena? Keep a rain gauge? Have a barometer? :circle:

I have a rock hanging outside my house that tell me what the weather is, 100% accurate...... Not really, I have seen three tornado's reaching down from the sky, every summer I see water spouts in the near off shore waters. I really love to watch lightning.