Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

How's NSW doing Michaelangelica?

Cooler everywhere today and predicted for this week

But the weekend is expected to be a scorcher

NSW is still a tinderbox with many bits burning-not a good look. The combination of strong wind, high temps, mad arsonists, and fire is a disastrous recipe

Residents on alert over NSW south coast blaze

Updated 1 hour 37 minutes ago

Firefighters have been back burning overnight along the southern side of the Jingera Rock fire, in the Bega Valley.

Firefighters have been back burning overnight along the southern side of the Jingera Rock fire, in the Bega Valley. (NPWS)

* Map: Bega 2550

Residents on the NSW south coast are being warned to make a decision today on whether to evacuate or defend their homes from a bushfire burning in the Deua National Park.

Local authorities believe the fire was caused by a lightning strike in remote country on Thursday, but the outbreak was not spotted until Saturday evening.

The blaze, one of 46 bushfires across the state, is burning 35 kilometres north west of Narooma, 5 kilometres north of the Belowra Valley and 15 kilometres west of Nerrigundah

Residents on alert over NSW south coast blaze - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Gipsland Stanley and Eskdale in Victoria are still in trouble.

I was looking for where to donate on line and found dozens of old sites.

We really need to winter burn/hazard reduction a lot more than we do. Perhaps some aboriginal advice would not go astray

Many homes that went were heritage buildings. We need to design buildings that withstand a fireball/firewall travelling at 100MPH

Most I saw interviewed talked of the speed and huge noise of the fire front, and of homes literally exploding.

I thought you were supposed to stay in your car with fire? Many died in cars. There must be thousands of burnt out wrecks. Many found the roads blocked by flames,smoke and falling trees.

One couple survived in their cellar. Which had a metal roof which glowed.(!!) They didn't know if they would make it. It must have been terrifying - for everyone.

The American style root cellar might be a good idea- with a cement insulated roof!

What happened to that foam, invented a few years ago, you spayed on buildings that made them un-flamable ? -unable to heat up and catch alight?

How do fire-fighters cope with the heat?

Can't NASA or someone invent refrigerated suits for them? Those yellow jackets seem useless. Some had been on duty 48 hours. How do people do that? Why would you VOLUNTEER to do that!?

Sad to hear of the fire-fighter who's home was destroyed and family was killed while he was fighting the fires.

Some Oz weather predicting, GHGs, Science, etc.

How things have changed in 25 years! (Video 10mins+)

Landline

Storm Warning

At an International Climate Conference in Melbourne this week, some of the world's leading scientists have warned the climatic extremes of the past fortnight are likely to be more pronounced and commonplace in the future.

Their evidence points to extended heatwaves of extreme temperatures, heavier but more erratic rainfall patterns and increased risks of catastrophic bushfires. As Tim Lee reports it is predicted that declining rainfall will render some farming districts unviable.

Storm Warning - Landline - ABC

Not quite sure how you view it.

It was only aired yesterday and today so it might take a day or two to be loaded to the site.

• 7 months later...

Woke this AM to a red, end-of-the-world, Martian sky. Sydney and much of the E. Coast of NSW blanketed in red dust. Eerie, unprecedented, scary. All plants,people and cars coved in talcum powder sized red dust. Eyes gritty. Turned on the TV to see Qld. ablaze with bush-fires, a few little earthquakes in Melbourne suburbs. Though this, reports of the Climate meeting in NY to hear one (Island Nation) guy saying "We didn't cause this. If business goes on 'as usual' we will all die."

Makes you wonder.

If there are no good rains,(not expected), I predict the worst bush-fire season ever for Oz. Now the top fire warning has been changed/added to, from "extreme" to "catastrophic" ( AKA 'get out of there -it can't be stopped').

Happy Environment Week.

• 5 years later...

How's about a little thread necromancing, whether you like it or not? :P So, we have continued having weather since I last posted so there's some catching up to do. Thought I'd start with the smoke that enveloped my village a week or so ago. The closest fire in the once-evergreen state is about 150 NE of me, but the wind shifted and the gorge funneled the smoke down to us and it hung like a fog for a day and a half. Snapped a couple shots of Sun & Moon & here they are.

20183710643_4ae59520e6_k.jpg

20182039144_5b6d776e5a_k.jpg

How's about a little thread necromancing, whether you like it or not? :P So, we have continued having weather since I last posted so there's some catching up to do. Thought I'd start with the smoke that enveloped my village a week or so ago. The closest fire in the once-evergreen state is about 150 NE of me, but the wind shifted and the gorge funneled the smoke down to us and it hung like a fog for a day and a half. Snapped a couple shots of Sun & Moon & here they are.

Nice halo around the sun Turtle.

I remember that day in 2009. Stayed inside, pulled the curtains shut and closed down all the windows so that they were only open a little to allow circulation. I noticed a week later that all the curtains had a dark line on the outside where the windows/doors were open lol.