Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

Wow! This is cool! Did you know there is a difference between a "gravity" wave and "gravitational" waves? I didn't until this morning. :D Why is this in the weather section? :read:

NASA - Giant Waves Over Iowa (with video)

Undular bores may play a surprising role in severe weather," says Coleman.

"For one thing, we believe undular bores can amplify tornadoes." He cites as an example an F5 tornado that struck the outskirts of Birmingham, Alabama, in April 1998. "At first the tornado was doing relatively little damage. But our research shows that, just before the tornado reached Birmingham, it was hit by an undular bore." The wave spun up the twister, increasing its intensity and size; the tornado went on to wreck more than 1000 homes and business totaling $200 million in damage. Tornado-wave interactions are the subject of Coleman's PhD dissertation, which he is completing now under the direction of University of Alabama-Huntsville professor Kevin Knupp.

wiki >> Gravity wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow! This is cool! Did you know there is a difference between a "gravity" wave and "gravitational" waves? I didn't until this morning. :hyper: Why is this in the weather section? :clock:

NASA - Giant Waves Over Iowa (with video)

wiki >> Gravity wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very cool indeed. Below is a link to an image from NASA's TERRA satellite of atmospheric gravity waves over the Arabian Sea. Source: EO Newsroom: New Images - Atmospheric Gravity Waves over Arabian Sea

What is an "Undular bores" ?

I think I had one to dinner once

luckily we don't get any near the number of tornados, cyclones etc that you guys get in the States

It is raining today. first time in a long while.

I don't know how widespread it is. It is not very heavy.

Seeing as you live "North of Sydney" have you ever got around to seeing the Morning Glory Cloud ?

From the description, it isn't really a gravity wave, and is not fully understood. But definitely worth a look.

EDIT: reading again to the bottom of the page, I found this quote:

It is commonly accepted that Morning Glory type disturbances is an atmospheric undular bore similar to tidal bores which travel upstream in various rivers around the world. The leading edge of a tidal surge penetrates into shallower water forming one or more waves against the direction of the current.

Seeing as you live "North of Sydney" have you ever got around to seeing the Morning Glory Cloud ?

From the description, it isn't really a gravity wave, and is not fully understood. But definitely worth a look.

The best location to see the Morning Glory is Burketown in far North Queensland's Gulf of Carpentaria.

I have never, ever heard of it. Facinating thanks

I have a few aboriginal relatives up there (about c4,000 miles north of Sydney) and will try to find out more when i catch up with them

Turtle you might find this interesting.

LIGO Gravitational Wave Observatory

Kewl! Thanks Doug. Just to clarify however, the "gravitational" waves discussed in the LIGO videos are not the "gravity" waves that result in atmospheric cloud waves (undular bores). Here's that Wiki link again. >> Gravity wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This has all got me jazzed to start recording clouds again. :hihi::hihi::)

Also see this thread "Giant Atmospheric Waves Over Iowa"

http://hypography.com/forums/general-science-news/13055-giant-atmospheric-waves-over-iowa.html

Would you like a fresh cup of java? :cup: :cup:

Ja bitte. :cup: So from that article C1ay put up, this caught my eye:

...People in Des Moines actually felt this back-and-forth breeze as the waves passed overhead. "Flags few one way during the crest of the wave and swung around 180o to fly in the opposite direction during the trough."...

Somewhere in this thread (or maybe the SUCTON thread) I mentioned having seen clouds make a sudden back-and-forth movment. This sounds very much like what is described in the quote, albeit what I have seen is faster acting. More like the cloud shuddered, then resumed normal floatage. :eek: :fluffy: More reason to start videoing clouds again and maybe record this action. :camera: :turtle:

I have set up my infrared camera facing South into a wonderfully cloudy night sky. I will record continuously through the night and watch the feed real time & listen to radio. Tomorrow I'll fast-forward review to see if I caught something of interest. Gotta go...chaos favors preparation. :esmoking: :hihi: ;)

I have set up my infrared camera facing South into a wonderfully cloudy night sky. I will record continuously through the night and watch the feed real time & listen to radio. Tomorrow I'll fast-forward review to see if I caught something of interest. Gotta go...chaos favors preparation. :camera: :P :help:

I caught some ranks of clouds (probably contrails & not undular waves) near 10:30 pm, but the uploaded video is darker than the file on the camera and you can't even see the clouds!! :confused: Here's the dark vid & I'm off to seek help lightening it. :read:

YouTube - night clouds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVwN4K18Qhc

I shot these clouds a couple hours ago. They are always in season in the Pacific Northwest, the land of liquid sunshine. :cheer: Thanks for the reference Hill. :) Monomer, I have an irresistable urge to start refereing to you as "Fluffy". :eek: :D B)

PS If you view the night clouds video full-screen, the "waves" are visible. Go to my channel and click on it there, then click the full-screen icon in the lower-right corner of the player. For some reason when the vid is embedded here that's not an option. >> YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I shot these clouds a couple hours ago. They are alwyas in season in the Pacific Northwest, the land of liquid sunshine. :(

Nice photo! I like all the different shades of blue. Love clouds!

Monomer, I have an irresistable urge to start refereing to you as "Fluffy". :eek: :D :xparty:

:Exclamati

PS If you view the night clouds video full-screen, the "waves" are visible.

I see them!