Science Forums

Weather Watching

Turtle

Ukraine farmers suffer in worst drought for century

By Pavel Polityuk

UROZHAINE, Ukraine (Reuters) - Svitlana Nadich is almost beyond hoping that even a little rain will fall on her brittle, parched wheatfields in southern Ukraine.

Advert for scotsman.com's football briefing

The $20,000 (10,000 pound) investment made by four village families, the sowing and care in applying fertiliser, all appear to be in vain as the region endures its worst drought in more than a century.

"Some people from the city ask God not to send rain to keep things dry. We do the opposite. We keep asking: 'Give us rain!'" she said while collecting some withered shoots.

Scotsman.com News - Latest News - Ukraine farmers suffer in worst drought for century

The Nadich family gathers parched wheat plants in the drought-hit Kherson region in southern Ukraine June 15, 2007. Drought has hit 60 percent of Ukraine's grain crop and is a sensitive political issue ahead of a September parliamentary election. REUTERS/Gleb Garanich

PS it Missed US

Great relief after last night

The predicted storm did not hit

The 6" I dropped the pool was usually filled in a night, now. . .?

Wild storms bypass Australia's east coast

Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:55AM EDT

CANBERRA (Reuters) - A storm off Australia's south east coast caused high seas and snow falls west of Sydney on Wednesday, but spared coastal areas from an expected battering by cyclonic winds, forecasters said.

Australia's Bureau of Meteorology said the storm had moved out into the Tasman Sea, with cyclonic winds failing to strike coastal areas of New South Wales state as previously forecast.

"It's well, well into the Tasman Sea now," duty forecaster Peter Zmijewski told Reuters, adding that the strong winds had remained out to sea while lighter conditions hit coastal areas. "It was a close call," he said.

The deep low pressure system was moving rapidly to the north east and away from the Australian coast, but had still caused ocean swells of up to 7 meters (23 ft) in some parts before easing.

The heavy seas forced the coal port of Newcastle, north of Sydney -- the world's largest -- to close down temporarily due to restrictions on ships entering and leaving. More than 50 ships waiting offshore moved out to sea to ride out the wild weather.

The storm led to snow falls across large areas of the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, and saw more rain in the city itself, which is already close to recording its wettest June on record.

A fierce storm on June 8 drove a bulk coal carrier, the Pasha Bulker, ashore on a beach near Newcastle.

Newcastle Port Corporation spokesman Keith Powell said the ship had survived the latest pounding without further damage. A 22-member salvage team had resumed work on Wednesday to prepare to refloat the 225-meter (738-ft) ship around the end of June.

"The Pasha Bulker is still standing up well to the conditions," Powell said.

The ship was empty when swept ashore, and authorities have moved fuel to tanks higher up in the vessel to avoid any spills or environmental damage in case the ship is damaged.

Wild storms bypass Australia's east coast | Environment | Reuters

Pasha Bulker

The Pasha

What has this strange company of solicitors got to do with it all?

2007 Nightmare: M/V Pasha Bulk

Page 1 M/V Pasha Bulker-

Initial Reports June 9

June 10 - 12 -- M/V Pasha Bulker May Be Breaking Up

June 13 -16-- Our Most Amazing Photos Ever

Live Webcam of M/V Pasha Bulker Casualty

"Carrying Coal To Newcastle"

M/V Pasha Bulker

Breaking News

On The Scene Off Australia

Feature Date: June 9 2007

Event Date: June 7 2007

Countryman & McDaniel

The Air & Ocean Logistics- Customs Broker Attorneys

International Trade Consultants

"Overlooking Runway 25 - Right, at Los Angeles International Airport"

On The Scene --On The Australian Coast!

A 2007 Countryman & McDaniel

Cargo Nightmare Prize Contender

• 2 weeks later...

More than a foot of rain floods Texas - Yahoo! News

More than a foot of rain in the middle of TEXAS?!?!?

Any of you Texan cowboys over yonder seen any of this? Was it as bad as I imagine it to be? I imagine getting rid of a foot's worth of water should leave some serious erosion scars on the ground, seeing as its not too tightly bound by plantgrowth?

Any info? Photos? Etc.?

While the drought MAY have broken in many areas, this wether is destroying crops and farmer livelihoods just as effectively as the drought.

Locally we are going for the all time record june rainfall.

One think I keep thinking is that it's time for us to accept the weather, get used to it, and figure out how to continue sustaining. :) :hihi:

Bevo sends his many thanks in the direction of South Africa. :(

• 2 weeks later...

dateline vancouver usa 10:45 pm temperature 82ºF todays high 104ºF

:shrug:

i stayed up 'til 3 am last night adjusting fans & windows to vent the house. yesterday only got to 94ºF and by 3 am i had the house down to 70º and at 5:30 am it was 69º inside. then buttoned up and ran a 1000w window air-conditioner and fans to circulate the cool air in our 4 bedroom 2 story house.

more of the same tonight, but it may not get as cool as last night's low of 60ºF. gotta sleep on couch so i can hear any intruders breaking in my must-stay-open windows. lock & load for the dog day's night wolf. :bump: :) :)

We don't get a lot of lightening locally

but I recently saw an USA show taking about "above cloud lightening" some five miles wide and five miles high:eek_big:

That must fix a lot of nitrogen for plants?

In the last four weeks the snowfields have had more snow than in the whole season last year.

This should be good news for down-river farmers in spring.

Food prices have risen 15% or so due to drought and flood.(and supermarket gouging)

• 3 weeks later...
Megacryometeors anyone?

Falling ice chunks hit Iowa neighborhood - Yahoo! News

When I first started reading the article, I was thinking comet. I had never heard of megacryometeors.

There doesn't appear to be much information on them and the few explanations given are tentative at best.

Thoughts?

Si! I think i have an old thread on this phenom & da peeps were sceptical. :eek2:;) >> http://hypography.com/forums/earth-science/6255-megacryometeors.html

nice to see a wiki on these. takk freezmeister. :confused:

:doh:

I should have done a search first...I should have figured that you already brought up this topic Turtl. :D

Time to revive it now. :hyper:

:hyper: duck & cover! :eek2:

after the record heat i reported a few posts back, we set a record for having rain for 7 consecutive days in July.:eek: bless the forcasters for having the gumption to even give a forecast of late. :hyper: my back is killing me as i watch the barometer yo-yo its way through the last weeks.

today it's partly sunny & still coolish at noon. the changeability has certainly made my gardening a challenge this year. off to watch the noon news and see how they get the forecast wrong today. :turtle: ?;) ? :confused: ?:D ?:( ?

In Austin, this is the second wettest July on record (and it's raining AGAIN right now, flash flood warnings galore, so we might just take first). The year as a whole appears to be headed toward the wettest on recored as well.

All Products by Site - NOAA's National Weather Service

Why not send some of that rain our way eh?

According to these maps, the rainfall average for the past 36 years has been about 34" by this time of year in the area where I live. This year we have only recieved 16" of rain. :confused:

Georgia Weather - Automated Environmental Monitoring Network Page

Coupled with the extremely late frost we had this year, the drought is a menacing force for farmers struggling to produce a modest harvest.

Frankly bro, I'd rather have a bit more climatic balance. This extreme drought or extreme flood thing is already getting old, and I have the sneaking suspicion it won't be changing any time soon.

Oh, and guess what. It's raining in Austin again! At this rate, I need to put a water wheel below my gutters and start capturing some hydroelectric energy. Gosh... One would think that solar was king in Texas. Who knew? :Exclamati

Coupled with the extremely late frost we had this year, the drought is a menacing force for farmers struggling to produce a modest harvest.

Yeah, my girlfriend's dad has really struggled. He grows tomatoes and corn and tomatillos and okra and mellons and green beans and... to sell. Most of the roots are rotting from too much moisture, and those that aren't can barely keep their roots... planted. :thumbs_do

I'm singin' in the the rain, I'm singin' in the rain. What a glorious feeling... :thumbs_up

tarantism reporting in from sunny Santa Cruz, CA! living here has been nice, because its a costal town so there tends to be a nice salty breeze that comes in from the ocean. also, my favorite part of the weather here is the mystic fog that forms over santa cruz around 11-ish, midnight and goes on the early in the morning. there are times when it hangs so low over my street that it feel like im in one of those slasher or murder mystery movies.

"is that you, watson?" :thumbs_up

it is sunny here day after day during the summer, and it being saturday there is a line of cars all of the way down my street and a few others, due to the number of people coming here from the valley on the other side of the mountain who want to visit the famous boardwalk. it took me about 15 min just to get to my local coffee shop where i bring you this report (lulu carpenters is the name, for those who will be visiting santa cruz. its a great place to get a cuppa!:thumbs_do).

there is the most pleasant light breeze blowing though downtown right now, its a beautiful day. good to be outside! :Exclamati

signing out,

tarantism.

Or down here instead where it's technically winter, and therefore the time for rain...

The weather in Adelaide has been so nice for the past couple of weeks. Warm and sunny. Most nights we haven't needed to put the heater on, and I've taken the blanket off my bed. You'd think it was spring here and people are even experiencing hayfever already.