Science Forums

What is the true purpose of our life here on Earth?

Dark Mind

I had posted a thread earlier asking about (theoritically) the time required for astronaut to reach pluto. I don't know where my thread is or whether any reply has been given. THIS HYPOGRAPHY SITE IS RATHER COMPLICATED FOR ME AND ONCE I OPEN IT I GET LOST.

Hi there, and welcome to Hypography.

Go to the top left of the screen, right under the Hypography logo. Click on User CP (Control Panel). All the threads you've subscribed to will be posted there.

Enjoy!

Boerseun

Chatlack:

One reason of my will to be a soldier is the thing what you had said. I want to go by the purpose and fight to live. =)
If I understand you correctly, so do I.

To some extent, every man in history has wanted to be a soldier. As a soldier, one has a common purpose, a direction and an identity. Theoretically, your rank designates your skill level and working to make your skills better pays off. You share a comradeship with all of the others and to them you are a value and they are a value to you. It's a brotherhood and you fit in and belong. You would die for them. They would die for you. It don't get much better than that.

A soldier represents the values and ideals of the country he/she represents and fights to either keep them or spread them.

The only problem is that in a war, at least one side is fighting on the side of irrationality. Often, both sides are. And, more often than not, the reasons given to the soldiers aren't even close to the real reasons behind the action.

Perhaps one kind of soldier would be a person who made sure the goals, objectives and reasons were made clear to one's brothers in arms. Just that, nothing more. Like supply line logistical support. To make sure that the stated intent is the actual intent. To make sure that basis for war is real and that there isn't any manipulation of the populace or hidden agendas.

In other words, honesty. That is the end result of having the appropriate relationship to existence and is a characteristic of 'human'.

• 5 months later...
Funny how this thread kind of piques in activity for a while then kind of dies back down... Kind of like the surf on a beach, waves come in... waves go out :).

Our purpose in life is to never stop.

Never stop questioning.

Never stop learning.

Never stop living.

Never stop thinking.

Never stop experimenting.

Never stop posting in this Forum ;).

Never stop.

Wow... Reminiscing is great. Quite the inspirationalist, eh?

Ah, the inevitable question that everyone must eventually ask! Is there really a purpose to life? Is there an actual "truth" to be discovered? As Idsoftwaresteve mentioned, animals have instinctual survival habits that humans, frankly, should envy. From the first few minutes, hours, days, years (this of course depending upon the animal), it knows what it must do: that is, for the most part, survive. Some rely solely on instinct, others learn particular abilities from parents. They, simply, eat, sleep, and die. True, humans' purpose is to live, and over time we have learned how to go about that. We have created societies for ourselves, neat little boxes that we've put ourselves in. But, every once in a while, a few question their purpose in this wondrous world.

So then, what is the purpose of a human? Well, I'm a believer that this is a subjective topic; your purpose is whatever you make it, but what about those who really desire to know the reason why humans exist? I ask you to look at history and see what humans have thus far accomplished. Over the centuries, we have improved our lives (or so we like to believe), by the knowledge gathered, technology fabricated, and altogether ideas formulated. Perhaps as a whole, humanity is supposed to improve itself. Immediately, when that is stated, one thinks technological improvement, right? Well, looking at some of the equipment that has been made, I think technology can take a backseat for now.

To put it succinctly, humans, I believe, are here to "create a better place for future generations". Yes, I am aware of how cliche it sounds, but, taking it out of cliched context, you may be able to see my POV. We are born, we live, learn (to hopefully "make something out of our lives"), marry, have children, die. That is, of course, extremely general. Gaining knowledge of the world (no matter how little or how much it may be) is helping to create a good community around you, and making and raising children to do the same thing helps create a, in a general sense of the word, better world. Now, of course, many things (like getting a job, and making money) factor into this. And, it is also well-known that everyone will not have a life like this; not everyone fulfills his/her purpose in life.

I agree. We humans individually contribute in positive and negative ways to humanity that lives on when we as individuals die. Society/humanity survives and needs to improve over time and our job/purpose is to make it happen.

Well... I think I've got to tell you all what I've gathered since opening this thread. The only thing that has happened is that my initial belief (Our purpose is whatever we make it or, there is no purpose.) has been reenforced tenfold. Nothing in this thread yet has made me think that anyone of us have a singular purpose in life, or that there is even meaning to our existence. We merely live, learn, experience, create purpose based on our experiences, and create meaning based on our learning.

So... Our purpose in life, is to create purpose for life :hihi:.

How can this be?

Some seventeen year old kid has just made a statement about how one should approach life... and isn't being reprimanded, told the answer is too simple or flatout wrong, and isn't being argued with :shrug:?

D'oh! :doh:

I should've posted this long ago I guess :). It's always been my philosophy and I was just hoping someone other than myself would post it eventually... Well... Three replies in the positive and zero in the negative. I guess we can consider this mystery solved.

And, thanks for agreeing with me, although I always have enjoyed a good argument. Oh well, it was fun building up to this point I guess :).

Now... What is the true meaning of our life here on Earth? :hihi:

This one I don't have any ready made philosophy on to spit out later ;) .

I guess what you fail to see is that you're not 17 here anymore. You are a one year and four month old hypographer.

To the topic, here is a very strong opinion, and I do not claim credit for its origin.

We are here for no reason at all, we were merely formed by a very very long set of coincidences and it happened because there was ample time in the universe for these coincidences to occur.

Kinda like connected to the anthropic principle...

The basic point is what Dark Mind said, we form our own purpose and name it 'ultimate goal'.

How can this be?...Now... What is the true meaning of our life here on Earth? :confused: ....

Meaning? You want MEANING? Hunh?? Isn't purpose good enough for you, now you want meaning, too? And then what? You want purpose and meaning and a reason or two? And then you want an agenda maybe? How about a guarantee that you leave your footprints in the sands of time? Hunh? You want that? And maybe just a little fortune on the side, right? And good looks and charm and immunity from STDs and a contract with MGM?

Ay, caramba!! Just when you think they've read all the right books, you find they've only been chewing on the covers! :beer:

We are viruses infecting a living organism. This organism is Planet Earth. Asking what our purpose is, is the same as asking what the purpose of a flu virus is. And a flu virus' only purpose in life is to spread itself. It will manipulate the host for that purpose (make you sneeze in order to spread). The individual virus has no other task but to make spreading the species possible. We have infected Gaia and do what we can to spread.

And that's about it.

We're viruses on a planetary scale.

The Matrix Trilogy were awesome movies! :eek:

They only sucked when you watched them more than one time through, the second time through you really pick up on the special effects used... There are a couple clips in the final fight scene that are just corny as hell and made me almost feel embarassed for some reason I can't quite discern...

Hrm, I've got it.

We are build to fail. Die. That is, in my opinion, our purpose.

If we don't like what we see in our; selves, love life, home life, car life, job life, etc etc. We do what it takes to get something that might get people to look and say "oow shiney, oow big, aah expensive." Hoping people look at us in a better light. That justifies why so many people want the hot chick to; live in their big house with them, drive shotgun in their fast car, vainly hoping for someone to love them as much as they love themself. Ha fat chance with those actions.

To get these things, in hope for a feeling, takes alot of thinking. Thinking how one can succeed in life. But who are they succeeding? Themself? Their boss? Sure, but who's is it really helping? I believe it's the succeeded.

Succeed:

be the successor (of); "Carter followed Ford"; "Will Charles succeed to the throne?"

I believe there is a higher power at hand. Not working for or with you. But, against you. Some call it nature, some call it god, some call it evil, some call it the universal laws. Call it what you will it's name will help you realize it's even existance. So hopefully you realize you are destend to fail. So you might think about succeeding. Which get's misunderstood to the point that it is defined as having things. Not feelings. Not what people need, but what they think they want.

Over thinking kills people. Please get back to the basics. As a favor to me. JK, but seriously.

Over thinking kills people.

I could approach this two ways:

1) I guess you'll live forever then! :shrug:

or, more preferably:

2) This is an interesting comment. I have never heard anything like this, but want to learn more. Please provide me the study results, evidence, and/or information which led you to this knowledge. :)

Please read #2 as my intended meaning, and support your assertion with evidence.

Cheers. :hihi:

I could approach this two ways:

1) I guess you'll live forever then! :)

or, more preferably:

2) This is an interesting comment. I have never heard anything like this, but want to learn more. Please provide me the study results, evidence, and/or information which led you to this knowledge. :)

Please read #2 as my intended meaning, and support your assertion with evidence.

Cheers. :hihi:

My source, as usual, is my own self refection. Which I'm always doing, and I'll probably die trying. :evil:

What, a new thought?

Meer observations of the world we lived/live/will live in. Compairing apples to oranges, then mind enginerring a oraple. If you want to call it a appange go ahead. I am a vendor of both, yet theirs one product to buy.

I would like you to guide me through this justification. So to help me answer the question; what is your all time favorite form of art? Followed by a specifice person or group of persons. It could be any form of expression. Something that really speaks your language, and makes you think about the world. Observe where I'm going with this and you're reply will read something like: :doh:

The one aspect we haven't touched on here is 'from what perspective?'.

1. From the perspective of the nature of the universe?

This would subsume all 'purposes' of all Gods. In other words, we are caused to exist for some 'reason'. And if there are no Gods, then it would be the causative factors that drove us into existence and this implies that we are here because, well, because that's just the way the mop flopped.

2. From the perspective of our own life as we know it, live it, and experience it? This would be from the 'end in itself' perspective. "I live to breathe, eat, and enjoy my existence" sort of thing.