Science Forums

What is the true purpose of our life here on Earth?

Dark Mind

the is no purpose to death, death is an avoidable eventuality. a tragic shame when its not avoided but certainly not something that we should expect or fear.

"i think it would be better not to die, don't you doctor?"

-sonny

however he could have said it would be better not to be killed for being robot jesus huh doctor?...

... you can't avoid death, it comes whether you want it to or not ...
There’s actually a sizable community of people – know by such names as futurians, extopians, and transhumanists – who think it possible that some people alive today may never die, or at least live many centuries, either throught biological life extension, or uploading your mind into a computer.

There’s actually a sizable community of people – know by such names as futurians, extopians, and transhumanists – who think it possible that some people alive today may never die, or at least live many centuries, either throught biological life extension, or uploading your mind into a computer.

Whats the definition of death? When the mind dies or the body? or both? :lol:

And making a copy of your mind is too complex anyway, what will happen? Think about it, you still wont be the same person you are now, imagine if your mind was uploaded to a computer, and then into a robot... Then there would be two of you, but only one you would control, it's too confusing to try i reckon... :lol:

And making a copy of your mind is too complex anyway, what will happen? Think about it, you still wont be the same person you are now, imagine if your mind was uploaded to a computer, and then into a robot... Then there would be two of you, but only one you would control, it's too confusing to try i reckon... :lol:
Pretty confusing, yes. Particularly when you consider that making copies of yourself wouldn’t need to be limited to just 2, or 3, or a few billion. Read Accelerando (it’s free).

actually i meant things like not stopping to pick up a coin while crossing the street, not getting lipo suction, not eating seafood, drinking smoking etc.

people do lifethreatening things and die, the living then say 'what a shame' and 'such a tragedy'. morons [iMO]. just don't do dangerous things.. d'uh.

also there are probably ways to actually cheat death by extending your life expectancy, low carb/cal diets apparently aren't good for much more than staying thin but being obese will never be healthy. i think that that tolemorase treatement could be the holy grail of rejuvenative therapies, and stem cell and cloning research would guarantee replacement limbs to entire bodies. if their was a way to rejuvenate the mind without corruption of ones personality then at least through replacement therapies we'd be somewhat immortal. with a high cost for each you'd avoid everyone being immortal but then too much money would flow around instead of staying locked away in investments.

Whats the definition of death? When the mind dies or the body? or both?

clinical death includes both mind (electrical activity in the brain) and the body.

technically you have to be dead 11 minutes or more (body death) before brain death occurs, between body death and brain death you can be revived, a friend of mine is such a person who died in child birth but was later revived.

so you'd ask why are people declared dead at all when there is a good chance their mind continues to tick at undetectable levels and have a chance of revival only to find themselves on the wrong side of a body bags zipper? :lol: .

actually i meant things like not stopping to pick up a coin while crossing the street, not getting lipo suction, not eating seafood, drinking smoking etc.

You still can't avoid death, what your referring to is prolonging life, which is fair enough. You just have to make sure you live life the way you want, or it's wasted on you.

so you'd ask why are people declared dead at all when there is a good chance their mind continues to tick at undetectable levels and have a chance of revival only to find themselves on the wrong side of a body bags zipper? :lol: .

The Irish have a form of funeral known as a "wake", the body is left for at least a week before it is buried, many lives have been saved this way i've heard...

Ouch, I'm happy i'm gonna donate my organs when I die, at least no burying alive for me :lol:

Ooh, good point. I never thought of that one. Though doesn't embalming do the same thing? I just have trouble with the concept of parting with my eyes and long bones after I'm dead... even though I can't use them any more. What if the Egyptians were on to something and I need my body in the afterlife and am blind and just a sack of... wait, they take the skin too, don't they? :)