Science Forums

What is the true purpose of our life here on Earth?

Dark Mind

The best thing in life would be to find something (healthy) that you truly enjoy doing and make it your life's work. If you have especially been granted a brilliant mind by genetics (chance) and/or good parenting, or a combination of those, then use it for the betterment of yourself and others.
This is a great ambition! - however it does not address the purpose of life. This is a purpose you have decided should be yours. But was there a purpose, before you made the decision to coose this as an ambition?:evil:

dduckweasel:

Your conscience is your 'knowledge of right and wrong' and it leads you accordingly. It is your 'soul and body (part and parcel of each other) which is the part of you that is strictly 'from the earth (like the animals)' and it is in this part of you that you discover your 'talents and abilities' (soul).
I like mine more. Its simpler. I am also aware of the existence of my conscience, it is there all the time judging me, watching me and I have faith in its ability to let me know when I screw up.

Steve

I like mine also. I am searching 'The True Science'. What is the true science ?

It's future integrated sciences that it would introduce :"God is The True Scientist".

It is well-proven with evidences, take world statistic of human beliefs, its growth, and its composition then watch our future. God loves statistical sciences like Heisenberg uncertainty theory, so I need to pray and at least we all expect in goodness.

• 2 months later...

different human beings have different purposes based upon ther morals and values. there is no purpose dictated by a higher power or we would all know what it is. some people consider their purpose to help others, other people see their purpose to get wealthy financially, our radical muslims see theirs as

a duty to kill Westerners. whatever you think your purpoes is, it only lasts as long as you do.

God? Spirit? What can you explain with them?

Maybe you can find our purpose with those but what is the purpose of god then?

I think we are born without purpose. We must decieve ourselves to believe in one purpose.for example: If I were Iran , my purpose would be preperation to the coming american attack. I would believe that my country is the most important thing I have ever had and I would defence it like hell.

There is no happiness more than it. Purpose ,which people in globalized countries dont have; honour and a life without getting old. You can even have fame like "Che" if you have luck or ability. Whats a better life??

to perceive existence. Every lifeform does that to some extent and responds and lives in its environment. From the most miniscule and whatever it perceives to the widest perception possible.

We enhance our perception with tools that enable us to see further and deeper so I suspect we're near one end of the spectrum. Although how near is open for debate.

We're moving toward the day when we'll understand why and we'll try to find out if we've been designed or are some spectacular accident.

Every aspect of existence requires something to be aware of it but we don't know why.

I think opposite. We wont be able find the truth because of narrow sight of human brain. -We all get used to think in a physical way. We cannot think in another unidentified way like we cant create a 4D image in our minds because of 3D world.

Maybe humanity can evolve enough to find out but it wont be human anymore.

Yes, you are right I think. But I was thinking about a more holy purpose, more valuable , a thing to devote myself... =) This is one side of the medallion, the other side is why we exist, why matter exist. The answer of this question must include the purpose...So much unknown, so much space...

I want to be a soldier to not be able to find time to think...

Chatlack:

But I was thinking about a more holy purpose, more valuable , a thing to devote myself... =) This is one side of the medallion, the other side is why we exist, why matter exist. The answer of this question must include the purpose...
What can be holier than the purpose of life, which is to live? To an animal, to live is automatic and the animal does what it does because of the way it is designed or evolved. We're different in the sense that we aren't born with an understanding of how to survive. We have to learn how to make our way with senses that function at a level far below an animals.

The part that should be worshipped (a holy purpose) is what we do with and how we acquire that information. This is how we relate to existence and it defines us as a species. To me, at least, this is the holy grail. I've said this before and I'll say it again, the best example is the look in a child's eyes when they are completely engrossed in something.

We are starting to take it seriously. When you see fundamental arguments in these threads, people don't normally 'walk hand in hand' but fight each other every step of the way, the assumption being 'to win is to move toward the truth'. I don't happen to buy that methodology but a lot of folks do. If the truth (whatever it is) is necessary to sustain our lives, then the search for and acquisition of it is a holy quest.

Someday perhaps we'll learn how to have forward motion on all subjects and elevate observation to a religious undertaking. We've screwed things up and come to the point where we believe that it should be painful. It shouldn't be. A child engrossed in the ladybug crawling on his hand is not in pain, at least, not until the parent jerks him to his feet, smacks him on the *** and sternly tells him not to put filthy things in his mouth.

I got your point. I agree. But its a different angle of perception. (As I said holy , I didnt mentioned religion-just to be sure) I was thinking about purpose of existence. Then , you must've understand.

One reason of my will to be a soldier is the thing what you had said. I want to go by the purpose and fight to live. =)

Ah, the inevitable question that everyone must eventually ask! Is there really a purpose to life? Is there an actual "truth" to be discovered? As Idsoftwaresteve mentioned, animals have instinctual survival habits that humans, frankly, should envy. From the first few minutes, hours, days, years (this of course depending upon the animal), it knows what it must do: that is, for the most part, survive. Some rely solely on instinct, others learn particular abilities from parents. They, simply, eat, sleep, and die. True, humans' purpose is to live, and over time we have learned how to go about that. We have created societies for ourselves, neat little boxes that we've put ourselves in. But, every once in a while, a few question their purpose in this wondrous world.

So then, what is the purpose of a human? Well, I'm a believer that this is a subjective topic; your purpose is whatever you make it, but what about those who really desire to know the reason why humans exist? I ask you to look at history and see what humans have thus far accomplished. Over the centuries, we have improved our lives (or so we like to believe), by the knowledge gathered, technology fabricated, and altogether ideas formulated. Perhaps as a whole, humanity is supposed to improve itself. Immediately, when that is stated, one thinks technological improvement, right? Well, looking at some of the equipment that has been made, I think technology can take a backseat for now.

To put it succinctly, humans, I believe, are here to "create a better place for future generations". Yes, I am aware of how cliche it sounds, but, taking it out of cliched context, you may be able to see my POV. We are born, we live, learn (to hopefully "make something out of our lives"), marry, have children, die. That is, of course, extremely general. Gaining knowledge of the world (no matter how little or how much it may be) is helping to create a good community around you, and making and raising children to do the same thing helps create a, in a general sense of the word, better world. Now, of course, many things (like getting a job, and making money) factor into this. And, it is also well-known that everyone will not have a life like this; not everyone fulfills his/her purpose in life.

I had posted a thread earlier asking about (theoritically) the time required for astronaut to reach pluto. I don't know where my thread is or whether any reply has been given. THIS HYPOGRAPHY SITE IS RATHER COMPLICATED FOR ME AND ONCE I OPEN IT I GET LOST.

Now for my opinion "Re: What is the true purpose of our life here on Earth?". I strongly feel that we came to this earth in the first place because we were forced to come here as punishment by some superpower. Though I subscribe to the theory that soul is an intrinsic part of supersoul still I feel that by some unknown reason the soul passes through various phases of birth and death (though it may not be affected per se) to cleanse itself. At the end of the day earth is a huge prison for serving prison terms.