Science Forums

You know you are a geek when...

And nobody can dispute that 0x0F is 0o17

And you absolutely know you are an uber geek when seeing base conversions, you can not help yourself but to post this:

0x0F = 120 in base 3

0x0F = 33 in base 4

0x0F = 30 in base 5

0x0F = 23 in base 6

0x0F = 21 in base 7

0x0F = 16 in base 9

0x0F = 10 in base 15

:ohdear:

ps from base 10 to base 15 for any base in between, the number is 15-(base-10) so for example base 15 , 0x0F is 15-(15-10) = 10

You know...
No,

[math]\mbox{f}4_{16} \div 6 \not= 2\mbox{a}.\overline{\mbox{d}6}[/math]

[math]\mbox{f}4_{16} \div 6 = 28.\overline{\mbox{a}}[/math]

Pardon the ASCII, but by long devision:

_
 28.a
6 f4.00
-c
  4 0

[math]6 \cdot 8 = 30_{16}[/math], that is [math]6 \cdot 8 = 48_{10}[/math]

[math]6 \cdot \mbox{a}_{16} \not= 30_{16}[/math], that is [math]6 \cdot 10_{10} \not= 48_{10}[/math]

You know you're a geek when the preceeding seems like a normal few sentences to you :)

No,

[math]mbox{f}4_{16} div 6 not= 2mbox{a}.overline{mbox{d}6}[/math]

[math]mbox{f}4_{16} div 6 = 28.overline{mbox{a}}[/math]

Pardon the ASCII, but by long devision:

_
 28.a
6 f4.00
-c
  4 0

[math]6 cdot 8 = 30_{16}[/math], that is [math]6 cdot 8 = 48_{10}[/math]

[math]6 cdot mbox{a}_{16} not= 30_{16}[/math], that is [math]6 cdot 10_{10} not= 48_{10}[/math]

You know you're a geek when the preceeding seems like a normal few sentences to you :)

I think it is actually icosadecimal division? [math]\mbox{F}4_{20} \div 6[/math] :confused:I'll look for the original sheet. I'm curious why you used lower case as I understood upper case is standard? :confused: :fly: :D

I think it is actually icosadecimal division? [math]mbox{F}4_{20} div 6[/math] :confused:I'll look for the original sheet. I'm curious why you used lower case as I understood upper case is standard? :confused: :fly: :D

I checked my work (geeks do this) and indeed the division attached to post #116 is base 20. I made up the word icosadecimal:naughty:; is icosageismal more convincing? :hyper:

YKYAAGW you look up "geek" in the dictionary to compare with nerd to see which fits you better, but don't get to looking up "nerd" when you find out that in the olden days "geeks" bit the heads off chickens for people's entertainment. To whit >>

geek - definition of geek by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

...Our Living Language Our word geek is now chiefly associated with student and computer slang; one probably thinks first of a computer geek. In origin, however, it is one of the words American English borrowed from the vocabulary of the circus, which was a much more significant source of entertainment in the United States in the 19th and early 20th century than it is now. Large numbers of traveling circuses left a cultural legacy in various and sometimes unexpected ways. For example, Superman and other comic book superheroes owe much of their look to circus acrobats, who were similarly costumed in capes and tights. The circus sideshow is the source of the word geek, "a performer who engaged in bizarre acts, such as biting the head off a live chicken." ...

Pardon my tights,

:turtle: