Science Forums

You know you are a geek when...

YKYAAGW You have set up a hexaboot system not running any microsoft OSes... (it had, OS/2, Minix, BeOS (best perfrormance for what it does, insane threading), FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OS X86, OpenSolaris, OpenVMS, Menuet (tinyest, put it this way, has an x-windows interface, web server, web-browser and a bunch of other stuff, the entire thing fits on a floppy) , Xok/ExOS (best idea out of all, notably performant, minimalistic) and multiple flavors of Linux (including an LFS build).

you accept because you know, and you have made sure, and so have many others, and there's just no other way, not the other way around.... it just hits you one day.... know it from my own experience.

You know you are a geek if you have a device for which a driver for your os does not exist, and you offer to write one... or reverse engineer the device and write one anyways...

i don't know, found her randomly on some website, this guy selling haloween costumes, i was like bingo... actually a friend of mine wrote a stylish script for lds.org (church of jesus christ of latter-day saints), uses the same image hilarious mind you.... so i changed it a bit and made it work with hypo.... now i have to find a good environmentally friendly image that is going to be on the dark background and use that one instead :)

oh and i fixed the problem with images repeating when you scroll that he had :) .

Lol... I soo wish i knew her name and spent some, um, "quality time" with her, you know, educating her in certain "sciences" :D..... yeah :D

well... enough day dreaming, back to work...ooh wait back for just one more second, aaaaah....., ok ok, back to being serious

you know you are a geek if you have overclocked your calculator (i'm close, caps are coming soon :) )

very carefully ;) but, it depends on your calculator....

Since i have a TI89 Titanium, there are instructions online on what needs to be done to alter the frequency modulation circuit for the processor to bump it (i have an HW version 3, so) 12MHz to about 20MHz.

instructions for most TI Calcs can be found here: Overclocking - ticalc.org

i am actually following to some extent, the isntructions there call for a 39pf cap in conjunction with a 47pf cap on a switch, i am taking a more safe route, and i know that you want to replace the 47pf cap with a 22-25pf cap, so if you do the math, in series :

[math]\frac{1}{C_t}=\frac{1}{C_1}+\frac{1}{C_2}...+\frac{1}{C_n}[/math]

so what the guy recommends is to run a 39pf cap + a switch in series with a 47pf cap, and he claims it to be close enough to a 22pf, but remember you need 22-25pf cap there, so you need to be close, but better be a bit over, so:

[math]\frac{1}{C_t}=\frac{1}{47pf}+\frac{1}{39pf}=\frac{86pf}{1833pf^2}[/math]

so [math]C_t=21.3139535pf[/math]

and that is by no way equal or greater then 22pf.... so i had a better idea:

i am going to use 2 22pf caps in parallel and a switch in series with a 47pf cap.

in paralell, capacitance adds, so

[math]\frac{1}{C_t}=\frac{1}{47pf}+\frac{1}{22pf + 22pf}=\frac{91pf}{2068pf^2}[/math]

or [math]C_t=22.725pf[/math] which satisfies the initial requirement for 22+pf cap, and a switch will still allow me to go from 47pf to 22.725pf, either running clocked normally or overclocked... tis my guesswork contribution today, test it when my caps come in (hard to find 22 and 47pf caps...)

• 4 weeks later...

You know you are a geek, if you write an extensive email to an electronic product maker (I am dealing with a Polyvision and their RoomWizard) about how unimpressed you are with their linux firmware, and how the instructions they sent you to fix their faulty firmware could not possibly work; while doing that though, you outline their partition structure (20+ partitions) and software i'd like to see in their future distributions that would make it easier to troubleshoot any future issues :)

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been a little laid back recently, apparently nobody else knows that they are a geek or something.... so here firing off again :phones:

You know you are a geek when your electricity bill is over $300/mo (not mine, but i got friends)

You know you are a geek if you have a beowulf cluster running at your house.

When you spend more time in front of a computer then you do doing everything else combined, every month...

When 24 immediately translates into 255, 20 into 240 and 17 to 128 and so forth.

When you buy a gadget already knowing how you are going to hack it.

When Trance Energy immediately draws thoughts about some insane sound equipment.

When you spend more time blogging then talking.

When you license your thoughts because you are afraid of someone using them to commercialize.

When you have a lock that used to lock a nuke in it's crate. (see picture, ask if you have questions)

That's it for now... I want to see some more people post their thoughts on what they think would give out a geek...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You know you are a geek when you were actually sad that this thread finished.

You know you are a geek when you use words like "potential difference" when talking about politics, for example (a friend of mine, not me...usually at least ;-) ).

You know you are geek, if you believe that you just have not found yet the keyboardshortcut in emacs which makes emacs make you coffee.

You know you are geek, if you think being called geek is something cool.

You know you are a geek when you are purchasing replacement parts for your desktop, having 8 more desktops right next to it.

You know you are a geek when you don't use a mouse to operate your personal systems, and intact the only things plugged in are power and an Ethernet cable.

You know you are a geek when, while watching CSI and watching them open up a case of forensics tools, you go, that looks like a model 200 crime scene kit from forensics source.... (and people watching CSI with you will never look at you the same)

You know you are a geek when you find it really cool that your binary watch runs on a cr2032 battery. (only geeks will get this one)

You know you are a geek when you use word combinations like "interactive file system debugging" or "self-balancing tree data structure" or "you cant just recover a deleted file from ext3, it zeros out the block pointers in the inode" or "just fire up a debugger, wait for the sigsev and see which pointer caused the member to not respond properly, dump the data and send it to the developers" (accent on the "JUST" word there)...

You know you are a geek when you attempt to improve on what seems to you the most inefficient algorithm taught in school.

You know you are a geek when you start editing your idea by speaking regular expressions.

You know you are a geek when your definition of a "hacker" appears in a local newspaper.

You know you are a geek when you, looking at a door, first asses how long it will take you to pick the locks on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm so late to the fair, but

You know you're a geek if you learned slide rule and abacus in case

a) the next Dark Ages lasts longer than batteries

:) EMP strikes at a critical moment

c) that weird holster might attract girls

You know you're a geek if your wife says, "If you don't get off that computer (or, insert "the Internet") I'm leaving"!

and your response is "You know very well that isn't valid unless you qualify 'if' with an 'else' clause."

You know you're both geeks if she emails that declaration and it's PGP signed, written in a text editor.

You know you're a geek if you barely know what a word processor is but are proficient in at least 5 text editors.

(And BTW Just what's supposed to be wrong with using vi - it's crunchy!)

You know you're a geek if Amiga means friend and you never once thought it was bastardized Spanish.

You know you're a geek if your DOS prompt not only lists Time but says "Yes, Master?"

You know you're a geek if your very first GUI was OS/2 installed from 22 floppies and it took a month to force it on a CGA monitored PC with an MFM hard drive that doubled as a door stop.

However you might not be a geek and instead a zealot if you sent death threats to Billy and the Boys and their supporters. You are an uber geek if you posted Ballmer's Monkey Boy Dance to YouTube.

You might also be a geek if you learned Assembly specifically to write your own hardware drivers. You might also be crazed.

Slackware Rulz!

Jimmy