Science Forums

You know you are a geek when...

You know you are a geek if you roll a d20 on a skill check to figure out if you are OK to drive today....
You know you’re a geek who’s been around gaming since nearly it’s modern beginnings when you can immediately place a person who thinks in terms of d20 rolls as a D&D game family geek, vs. a dungeonquest game family geek who thinks in terms of percentage dice (d100, order d10,d10) rolls, vs. a T&T game family geek, who would think something like a 23d6+39 berserk roll.

Well I don't know about the rest of you guys... but this brings to mind a favorite t-shirt:

There are 10 kinds of people in this world,

those that understand binary,

and those that don't

have you read my

you also know you are a geek when accidentally on a physics test, the difference between 101 and 11 comes out to be 10... oops

line?

ok new one,

first take a look at the attached picture,

you know you are a geek when you have a 4 thousand dollar piece of equipment taken apart (the one in the picture is almost assembled again, but then i had to make on out of 2 other PDAs), connected to the computer by propping it up in it's cradle with the battery...

P.S. work computer in the background, yes i am not allowed to run any decent OS on it, otherwise i would... well, at least i spend most of the time on the Mac :)

U know yer a Geek win you reverse the mouse buttons on your work computer because it makes you about 10% faster -- and you are Right Handed!

I do. :)

You are SURE you are a geek if the 10% is derived from measured observation and use of statistical models, not just from an estimate. :) You are king of geeks if you have calculated the standard deviation of your efficiency gain.

Bill

U know yer a Geek win you reverse the mouse buttons on your work computer because it makes you about 10% faster -- and you are Right Handed!

I do. :)

Oh sure you do Pyro... it's really just an excuse to get to point with your middle finger during the day

:)

*ponders if Pyro is thinking this minute about using said middle finger to delete Symbology's post* :note2:

You know you are a geek when you point out that it's not "reverse polar notation", it's reverse Polish notation also known as the Postfix notation, realized by a polish mathematician Jan Lukaseizwicz, and it generally saves you button presses making your math quicker and more efficient, for example an expression that looks like this in your inline calculator [math]1+((2+3)*4)-5[/math] looks like this in RPN [math]1 2 3 + 4 * + 5 -[/math]

You know you are a geek when you point out that it's not "reverse polar notation", it's reverse Polish notation also known as the Postfix notation, realized by a polish mathematician Jan Lukaseizwicz, and it generally saves you button presses making your math quicker and more efficient, for example an expression that looks like this in your inline calculator [math]1+((2+3)*4)-5[/math] looks like this in RPN [math]1 2 3 + 4 * + 5 -[/math]

um... actually isn't that

1 [Enter] 2 [Enter] 3 [Enter] + 4 * + 5

for a total of 11 strokes

Otherwise you would be adding One hundred twenty three to nothing and then multiplying by four and adding five... I dont think 497 is the answer you are looking for ;)

ok, so using reverse Polish we save 2 strokes... and if it is fair for the RPN guy to rearrange the order by using his brain instead of his fingers and parentheses, how about if I enter

2+3*4+1-5 thereby saving an additional 2 strokes. Or for that matter why don't I just solve it in my head and type in 16.... there, much faster.

Personally I would rather type in 2 extra keystrokes just the way I see it on the paper and get accurate results. It allowed me to win 1st place 3 years in a row at the high school state level calculator competitions beating all the other HP guys. Especially since we were entering real formulas like

Sqrt(7.4 + ((3 + 1/4) +2.2)

------------------------------

(6^(2.3 + (Log(5.27 -3))))

Try rearranging that one in your head faster than I can press parentheses :hihi:

TI-88 Rules!

PS I am betting there is a guy with an Abacus that can blow us all away :lol:

you know you are a geek if you are proud of working 14hours without break (and nmore than 12 hours the days preceeding and following).

you know you are a geek if you are jealous of your friend who works 20 hours...

you know you are geeks if you and your friend work together much more than 24 hours a day (I start in the morning he stops sometime in the morning)...

Ykyaag if you explicitely learned by heart the name of a small Island/ country like Vanuatu just so that you know a place nobody knows.

Oh sure you do Pyro... it's really just an excuse to get to point with your middle finger during the day

:Exclamati *ponders if Pyro is thinking this minute about using said middle finger to delete Symbology's post* ;)

Ohhhhhhh... I'm pondering that very thing. Hmmmmm...

Better yet, I'm gonna blow your cover! :Exclamati

HEY EVERYBODY!!! Symbology is a friend of mine -- we met at the local Unitarian Church. In fact, we talked this morning. I had previously invited him to join us here at Hypography.

He is remarkably intelligent -- about 0.035 on the Buffy Scale. :hihi:

He is also quite charming -- about 2.17 on the Tormod Scale. :hihi::hihi::hihi:

um... actually isn't that

1 [Enter] 2 [Enter] 3 [Enter] + 4 * + 5

well actually if you read what i said, the expression written like: 1+((2+3)*4)-5 is written like: 1 2 3+4*+5- in Reverse Polish Notation, how you enter it in an RPN calc is a little different 1[enter]2[enter]3[enter]+4[enter]*+5[enter]- and the total is not of 11 strokes, but more of 14 strokes if you want to be a smartass (being a smart *** is actually really good, so i do mean it in a good way, and not referring to you, referring to myself here). So total clicks is the same as if you were entering it in a regular inline calc. Now, if you were to actually write the expression or type it, you would save a few clicks, that would have to be 1 2 3+4*+5- (or 11 clicks) vs 1+((2+3)*4)-5 (or 13 clicks)

Sqrt(7.4 + ((3 + 1/4) +2.2)

------------------------------

(6^(2.3 + (Log(5.27 -3))))

FYI for the future, if you go to the physics and math section, there are a few stickies on a better way of expressing your math on these forums, and it makes math looks soooo much better then the quote above :)

check it out:

[math]\sqrt{\frac{7.4+(3+\frac{1}{4})+2.2}{6^{2.3 + (\log(5.27 -3))}}}[/math]

and in rpn it would look like this: 7.4 3 1 4/++2.2+6 2.3 5.27 3-log+^/2√

or someting to that extent, maybe without the 2 in front of √, dunno, not a big rpn person