Science Forums

You know you are a geek when...

"Hi, my name is Alex. I'd really like to get to know you better, but i have to warn you, i'm a computer nerd, that likes science and history, pretty artistic and spend more then 8 hours a day behind a computer, i also very commonly come up with lengthy philosophical rants, but also likes to lots of have fun, i play volleyball, paintball, and stunt ride bikes and am basically up for anything..."

That's what we older gals call a "Renaissance Man"... :)

Intelligence is the ultimate aphrodisiac, :bounce:

Buffy

You know you are a geek when you rant on the misuse of i.e. and e.g., and also happen to know most mistakes while writing online blogs or articles (my peeves):

Loose vs Lose - people tend to substitute one for the other...

Misuse of I and me... - people don't know when to use one, and when to use the other, so they just stick with I, because it sounds better

the use of apostrophe - sometimes i use it wrong myself, but i tend to try to correct myself as much as i can.

id est vs exampli gratia - people don't know when to use i.e .and when e.g., i.e. means id est or "that is" aka in other words, exampli gratia means "for example"

accept vs except - it's already gotten discussed, but its an ongoing peeve, people use them interchangeably as well...

You know you're a geek when you have more email addy's than you do shoes.

You know you're a geek when you hear the word "Scuzzy" and the first thing you think of is not an adjective.

You know you're a geek when you run your own copy of BIND on all your boxes to prevent look up errors from your provider.

You know you're a geek when you rig up elaborate mechanisms to do really simple tasks.

You know you're a geek when you have a recurring dream involving recursive functions.

You know you are a geek when you rant on the misuse of i.e. and e.g., and also happen to know most mistakes while writing online blogs or articles (my peeves):

Misuse of I and me... - people don't know when to use one, and when to use the other, so they just stick with I, because it sounds better

the use of apostrophe - sometimes i use it wrong myself, but i tend to try to correct myself as much as i can.

id est vs exampli gratia - people don't know when to use i.e .and when e.g., i.e. means id est or "that is" aka in other words, exampli gratia means "for example"

accept vs except - it's already gotten discussed, but its an ongoing peeve, people use them interchangeably as well...

effect vs affect :phones:

I do not know everything that is out there. But I'd love to help you figure this out, if only for the challenge. Thing is, you description is very vague to me. A picture or drawing would help, but if that's not possible, are there other details you could provide?

Is the creature vermiform? yes

What colour are is it? clear, you have to stare at the water for some time to even note that they're there.

Does it have legs? If so, how many? no legs, as it is vermiform.

Antennae or tail(s)? If so how many, are they bushy or hairy? none that I can see.

Does the creature have rings or segments? Any body hair present? no.

In what manner does the creature move? Is it usually swimming, floating, or walking on surfaces or the substrate?

swimming/floating, sidewinds similar to an eel - it's larger than your usual blood worm, hard to see in the water, as it is clear, with exception to a couple of eye spots which are a reddish colour.

Any other characterictics you might be able to provide?

I'll scoop one up tonight, and draw it and scan it for monday.

Y

You know you're a geek when you have a recurring dream involving recursive functions.

Did you invent this or did you really have it?

Anyway:

you know you are a geek if you use terms like hamiltonian or potential difference when discussing things of common day life... (a friend of mine wished me for my birthday a happy hamiltonian...)

you know you are a geek if the mathematic explication is always the easiest for you (not always my case though)...

you know you are a geek if when you move house to an appartment on the fifth floor without any lifts and then when you tell friends about the moving you spontaneously say how much height difference you have walked while moving everything (about 600 m in my case :banghead: )

My pet linguistic peeve is the misuse of "begs the question" when the speaker/writer means "poses the question."

You know you are a geek when you go to a science fiction convention and strangers ask to have their picture taken with you, and you are not one of the attractions of said convention.

You know you are a geek when you spend 8 hours working on your computer because it boots 15 seconds slower than it should.

Bill

You know you are a geek if you have ever worked for more then a week installing an operating system.

You know you are a geek if you have ever decided to write a different gui front end for windows, because you thought that the original windows front end stunk, as a project for a class, in QBasic! (someone stole it btw :hihi: )

You know you are a geek if you have ever turned in a programming project that took most people more then 2 pages of code to complete, written in under 10 lines. (strcmp can save hours of planning and countless minutes of coding :cheer: )

You know you are a geek if you skip lunch to do your physics homework, and skip doing your physics homework to post here... oh snap, i gotta get back to it... This is it for now.