Science Forums

You know you are a geek when...

Well here it is....

Ack!

I spent the last hour researching on the net what this might be. I haven't come up with anything conclusive.

Here's some thoughts though.

The fact that it swims in the water the way you mentioned, suggests Nematode to me. But they don't have eyes.

Planaria have eyes, but they are flat, and generally move along surfaces. They can swim a little if necessary, but it's a clumsy affair.

Glassworms fit some of your description. It was actually my first idea from your descriptions. But there is more structure to the body then what you have drawn.

Some Annelids have eyes. Usually not very big though. The lack of segmentation in your drawing again goes against this, although sometimes segmentation cannot be easily seen with the naked eye.

Wish I could make a definitive ID, but I searched through hundreds of pictures without finding anything close to what you've drawn.

Sorry. :)

Ack!

I spent the last hour researching on the net what this might be. I haven't come up with anything conclusive.

Here's some thoughts though.

The fact that it swims in the water the way you mentioned, suggests Nematode to me. But they don't have eyes.

Planaria have eyes, but they are flat, and generally move along surfaces. They can swim a little if necessary, but it's a clumsy affair.

Glassworms fit some of your description. It was actually my first idea from your descriptions. But there is more structure to the body then what you have drawn.

Some Annelids have eyes. Usually not very big though. The lack of segmentation in your drawing again goes against this, although sometimes segmentation cannot be easily seen with the naked eye.

Wish I could make a definitive ID, but I searched through hundreds of pictures without finding anything close to what you've drawn.

Sorry. :)

I know, I did much the same thing.

I did some further checking though after going on your glassworm hunch.

I found the following picture, and while my drawing doesn't do a good job of representing the head end, this photograph does it justice.

Maybe the body is more segmented than I realized!

After having seen this, I'm positive this is what is hanging out in my backyard pond!

As long as you dont have too many of these [img=http://hypography.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=1995]http://hypography.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=1995[/img] living inside your head, you are not dumb, if you can actually tell what it is, you know you are a geek, if you can name it by genus and species, then you are a little bit too obsessed :popcorntub:

P.S. its dermatophagoides pteronyssinus, but i don't know that off the top of my head :hal_skeleton:

no, you are not a geek if you advertise it, unless you find creative ways of doing it... such as wearing a shirt that says something like

[math]A=\left[\left(12*\arctan\left(\frac{1}{49}\right)+32*\arctan\left(\frac{1}{57}\right)-5*\arctan\left(\frac{1}{239}\right)+12*\arctan \left(\frac{1}{110443}\right) \right) *4\right]*r^2[/math]

As long as you dont have too many of these … living inside your head
I’m pretty sure that if you have any of these living on the inside of your head, you’re in pretty dire shape – it’s clearly an “outside bug”.
… if you can actually tell what it is, you know you are a geek, if you can name it by genus and species, then you are a little bit too obsessed :dust:
It looks like a very tiny Arthropod, which makes it a “mite” in my simplified personal taxonomy :) Looks like a skin-eater, too (all the sensible mites are), so, except for putting it into the proper Latin, I nailed its order. By alexander’s logic, that makes me half too obsessed. :rip:

You know you are a geek when you not only have a simplified personal taxonomy, but know you do, and have a taxonomy for describing both your and other’s.

no, you are not a geek if you advertise it, unless you find creative ways of doing it... such as wearing a shirt that says something like

[math]A=\left[\left(12*\arctan\left(\frac{1}{49}\right)+32*\arctan\left(\frac{1}{57}\right)-5*\arctan\left(\frac{1}{239}\right)+12*\arctan \left(\frac{1}{110443}\right) \right) *4\right]*r^2[/math]

you know your a geek when you know thats only an approximation

You know you're a geek when your hobby rockets get large enough to lift a car....

Oh that got me thinking...i wish i could do amateur rocketry, but i think my parents will kill me if they find like a LOX/ethanol engine being built in the garage or something...

But yeah, you know you are a geek if you have ever designed a rapid projectile fire mechanism that does not use solid fuel propellant, together with a platform for remote operation of such mechanism (a crazy 3 or 4 stage coil gun :naughty: that could fire at approximately 4-500 shots a minute, if it were to ever built, oh and it would have a gravity-independent pressurized delivery/cooling system).

You know you are a geek if you have ever been more excited about an AMD announcement then your own birthday.

You know you are a geek if you have ever looked at building your own portable wide frequency dual band jamming device (not a bad idea for the troops in Iraq?) that fits on one's pocket runs on phone batteries (rechargeable) and has approximately a 4 hour long battery life. (Only down fall is the range, it would be about a 35-40 feet radius, but if you think about it, its plenty for a IED detonation prevention device since most are detonated within 20 or so feet of their target, usually via the phone or a remote control, which are 800MHz for GSM phones i guess it remains to be found out what the frequency for remote control detonation freqs are, i would think somewhere in the 2.4GHz range for max range) (and i just dont have the money to do it... :( ) Mmmm, wave bubble on drugs ;)

you know your a geek when you know thats only an approximation

yeah, but then so is [math]\pi r^2[/math] (and you dont have to be a geek to know that, you just have to glimpse the thread on infinite possibilities in life, or read my part of the article on wikipedia on bc programming language or the article on calculating pi on wiki)

You really know how to hurt a guy. :eek:

LOL, you think that's bad.......before I stopped celebrating Halloween, I dressed up as a gypsy and created my own fortunes.

All but one of the guys in my Department got this fortune: If this fortune is read by a male, I have three words for you: Male Pattern Baldness.

/forums/images/smilies/devilsign.gif

you know you are a geek if your email messages look like this:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (Darwin)

hQEOA++70LBEDIvgEAP+Ncvo8RSimiFFJPDE881T4sA8WZD9rNFUZ2Ndre2p2v/l

P1gQ/cC+GZnemHM04P94TktveTm+k4PJ4FGsHahIxvQ1CSjm2c7Kq/mouhTJyKMc

rXTkRzSxkDx9qmCfobv/S2M5mcRdTtZJXwsfesq0hxnykDpYfcHCjoSh0wVNIBoD

/in3IgT0rD3kwG55dEAc0OATaWOrBU0AxTq/jfR5ZiUEC7FXhwdBQQpx142SAbsA

CY+vL5KrGlTJQv/yv9QXiJDxjNhSkJWfZ9nXLtLIfFSLtBhTsGImRDgow/1OOkWy

Mr2P9OsQ33tchk0J11p/J+ZZ9m+5YPBFwm1ybziRZHc90sAaAQ2G0BXs+JEmLGFx

Qw/s5LvIJXywQiP/m2akoth2sK3VBsbXeb/2MDap6JWsj1lq2vneH80tCU8IsX08

TtdJYoEwUkw5hnVE8NYIWw+WmhNC09eejr+Cttqt6O2gxVam5G3ejy9RArvuGYRj