27 replies to this topic

#18 montgomery

montgomery

Questioning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:33 PM

Look at that picture and tell me that's not where its ears should be. Now imagine its eyes right about its snout. Better and cuter no?

I don't know where the god should have placed his ears but I would say that his eyes are precisely where they should be. Maybe you should do your own little experiment with moving his eyes around on his head to see if you can find a better location?

Keep in mind that a predator is better suited with his eyes farther forward but a preyed upon animal is better off with his eyes more toward the back of his head in order to allow him to see the preditors. 

Think of the horse for a good example! Or the lion who doesn't really care all that much what's behind him.

Doesn't the god work in miraculous ways!

Edited by montgomery, 17 March 2019 - 03:33 PM.

#19 Bwal

Bwal

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

Dolphin.jpg

Much better. :)

Edited by Bwal, 17 March 2019 - 05:24 PM.

#20 Moontanman

Moontanman

Unobtainium...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9029 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

You simply pursue the best.

Kinda what GAHD done said, eh?

beat me to it!

#21 Solrack

Solrack

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

I think the real question is what do you refer as "meaning" is . Everybody has its own definition of meaning, But what do you probably are trying to say is "What is life for?" In that sense, life is a result of the laws of the universe. Some say it's by some accident. I subscribe to the theory that life was an unavoidable phenomena. It just emerge and thrive when the conditions are the correct ones. The only thing life is good for is reproducing and creating more entropy. For me, I think that, for a conscious being, the "meaning" is whatever fulfills its psychological needs and is satisfactory on a deep level.

Edited by Solrack, 23 March 2019 - 04:37 PM.

#22 Farming guy

Farming guy

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:43 AM

Why are dolphin's eyes where their ears should be. Eyes should be at the front above it's snout so it can see what it's looking at. :)

Dolphins, if I remember correctly, use sonar under water, and their entire forehead is a sound receiver.

#23 A-wal

A-wal

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 08:09 AM

Dolphins, if I remember correctly, use sonar under water, and their entire forehead is a sound receiver.

I'm not sure they even have ears. It just looks like their eyes should be at the front, but I think that's because their snout looks like a dog's. :)

Dolphins are lovely animals. Getting pulled along by one as it's gunning it through the water is great fun. It wasn't thinking get off stupid monkey, it was a trained dolphin.

#24 Flummoxed

Flummoxed

Explaining

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:12 AM

I'm not sure they even have ears. It just looks like their eyes should be at the front, but I think that's because their snout looks like a dog's. :)

Dolphins are lovely animals. Getting pulled along by one as it's gunning it through the water is great fun. It wasn't thinking get off stupid monkey, it was a trained dolphin.

Dolphins don't have external ears https://www.dolphins...dolphins-hear/ 

#25 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

Why are dolphin's eyes where their ears should be. Eyes should be at the front above it's snout so it can see what it's looking at. :)

When you are not at the top of the food chain you have to be able to see a potential threat approaching from the rear (or above or below).  Humans generally don't have to worry about being attacked from above or below, but we have a fairly flexible neck to direct our binocular vision around us.  As you may have noticed, normal sound in water is non-directional, so ear location is not important.  Hearing in the audible range is irrelevant when you use ultrasonic echo-location for hunting and communications.

#26 fahrquad

fahrquad

All I know is that I know nothing.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:12 PM

...and looking back over the other comments I see my response has already been covered in a couple of other posts.   :mad:

#27 kemeron

kemeron

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

Life and live it already have meaning. you rejoice in every day.

Edited by kemeron, 31 May 2019 - 09:57 AM.

#28 SaxonViolence

SaxonViolence

Understanding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

Friends,

I read this once:

A certain type of analytical personality sometimes becomes depressed because he cannot find any meaning to life.

Pause.

I used to get like this. As The Preacher says in Ecclesiastes:

"I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity. I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it?"

By "Laughter" and "Mirth" a take it that he means all enjoyment—not just that humor is meaningless.

Yeah, I used to read Ecclesiastes a lot.

Anyway, back to what I once read:

One day the dissolute intellectual will come to realize that the only thing in life that is meaningless is the search for meaning. Things don't mean anything, they simply are.

Switch gears:

Ideally, the meaning of life should be hunting, taking scalps and stealing horses. It is a shame the modern world allows so little scope to practice these praiseworthy activities.

Saxon Violence