Science Forums

Aah the joys of Vista

Crash, i think i have figured out what hell for IT professionals looks like:

A network of unpatched Vista boxes, running Office 2008, and Symantec AV, with windows servers, and d-link switches and routers, a single dsl line running in, and an unpatched 2000 box that is hidden on your network, but is badly infested with viruses, worms, etc, that are updated every day with new ones, by dedicated hackers....

It's eerie how close you've come to my setup at work. Change Vista to XP Pro, and unpatched to patched and not infected with viruses, and you pretty much have my network described. Oh yeah, and we have a Sonicwall firewall *shudders*

pshht, that is nothing compared to my work place, we have xp network with elements of windows 2000 and one 98 box, we have a 2003 server setup with elements of windows 2000 server for some applications, we have an old citrix server that is still used, Innoculate IT AV (yes i haven't heard of it until i saw it here either), a fortigate firewall that is seceptable to ether talk, and a firmware that is not recommended to upgrade, and users that will click on anything and will send in requests to unblock ad.doubleclick.net... everything is backed up only to tape full backup every day, email is running exchange 5.5 on a box that is over 10 years old (dual 733), and there are over 100 people per IT person here, and we are also the help desk, ooh one last thing, the only person who diagnoses and fixes any non-everyday issue is yours truly, and i also need to improve and upgrade our infrastructure and fix black-box solutions left over from the previous IT staff...

don't feel bad, hire me :shrug:

• 2 months later...

So I just ordered a new lappy and guess what, it comes standard with Vista home premium.. this should be fun!

My system will have Intel C2D T8100, 2Gb Ram, GeForce 9300M and 250Gb HD - so it should run vista at least :) The question remains:

Is there any happy vista users out there or am I destined to fall back to XP?

So I just ordered a new lappy and guess what, it comes standard with Vista home premium.. this should be fun!

My system will have Intel C2D T8100, 2Gb Ram, GeForce 9300M and 250Gb HD - so it should run vista at least :) The question remains:

It depends on what you use it for and if your hardware is compatible.

I *had to* revert back to XP to support my music hardware. I recommend a triple boot setup though. I kept my Vista and added XP on a different partition. I then installed Linux (Kubuntu) and have all three available upon boot (lappy with 250GB split into 4 partitions). Sadly, I haven't found the time to tweak ubuntu, so I haven't booted to that in a while. It's even less frequent that I visit Vista (only when I want on-board audio; not supported in XP :)).

Sure, I have said a number of times I am very happy with Vista.

With a new machine you should have few, if any issues (I have had no issues at all that were vista related with one laptop and one desktop).

If you have uncommon or legacy software you MAY have an issue. But again, with a new machine pre-loaded with Vista I would not expect any issues.

Please let us know how it works out.

Those eee-pc's are a great idea, but I couldnt handle a laptop with such a small screen and keyboard for everyday use. But you cant really beat the portability of the little buggars.

As for the triple booting.. I think I will install linux on my old lappy, and unless I need the extra power for some linux programs I dont think I will bother putting it on my new one. I could see myself having an XP partition though, but I dont want it to be a waste of space so I guess I would just have a smallish partition and only use it for when I can make something work in vista.

Hi Jay-qu,

You shouldn't really have any problems because you are getting a new machine with good specs (800mhz & 45 nm).

The only real problem that I encountered was with regards to a trial version of MS Office that was loaded by the manufacturer and conflicted with my own install of Office XP and MS Update after it was unloaded.

So i got my eee in yesterday. Honestly i don't even know how long it took the stock os to boot, because i never ran it, installed xubuntu 8.04 rc on it (i use alternate all the time to save space), and have been working on getting everything working, changing xfce settings to optimize it for screen size, hot suspend to work, got rid of swap (to prolong the life of the ssd), got wifi working natively, now i'm going to be working on a custom kernel with a lot of the stupidity turned off, like paralell port support, gotta stop bluetooth support loading on boot some other things to speed up kernel loading times.... though it's not all that bad now, but it's still a little over a minute till the log in screen comes up.

i could install XP on it, but it will be faster and better for me to set up wine as it runs everything i will ever need anyways...

and yeah, this bugger runs warm... i'll have to open it up, see what i can do for cooling, perhaps a heat sink upgrade and a slightly bigger fan or something, and i should be able to clock it back up to 900mhz @ 100MHz fsb....

ooh also i will probably only do that for boot time, and then throttle it back down for power conservation :eek:

For those who are interested/desperate and not faint of heart, here's your answer:

How to Downgrade From Vista to XP (PCMag 4/4/08)....

Don't get yourself arrested and make your day worse! If you need to vent, just smash something that's already broken! You can't get in trouble for wrecking the unsalvageable! :(

Buffy

Cool, but I prefer (and recommend) just installing XP on another partition. That way if you ever do need Vista (example in my case; built in speakers and webcam only work in Vista), you still have the option of using it.

...but I prefer (and recommend) just installing XP on another partition.....

Quite true. Of course this is a religious issue, and for some "leaving Vista on another partition" is akin to asking a Mac user to run OS-X on a PC...

I suppose I should say that I treasure blasphemy, as a faith of the highest order, :shrug:

Buffy

I ran OS X on a pc, and i build a couple of more hackingtosh boxes, one of which my sister has...
Yah, but you're a hacker and not one of those Steve-Jobs-Is-The-Second-Coming-Of-Christ true believers...

I want to put a ding in the universe, :phones:

Buffy