Science Forums

Aah the joys of Vista

No, no, she didnt't get a mac virus at all, there are none, its called getting pwned by a script kiddie that laid his hands on a firmware exploit or any decently recent os x exploit (as people do not tend to update software very oftenly).

And I highly doubt that it was a hardware rebuild, it is however likely that someone screwed with some hardware firmware (why i think it was a firmware exploit), screwed it up and then everything would seem like it went to hell...

Actually there are a few trojans and one worm known for macs.

The wording used by the person who told me was "she had to have her computer rebuilt". I wonder if they just meant a re-install. Hmmm...I'll poke my head back in when I have more info...

A reinstall is probably what happened. There are indeed some known trojans and worms attacking OS X, but the market is so small that few hackers care. But there are enough for companies like Symantec to create a Norton Antivirus for Mac. :shrugs: So the problem is not non-existent, but in my 12 years as a Mac user I've never experienced a virus, worm or trojan of any kind.

I read the first 4 pages of this, and all I know is that I am switching over to Mac next time I get a computer upgrade.

I knew that within 3 months of switching over to linux. Lovely workstation, if you have a computer engineering degree. No games though.

I do know however that Mac has the Commander Pack for Total Annihilation (core game and all expansion packs in one package, Yeah!).

Looks like my boycott of Microsoft will hold at least until the next OS release.

What do you suppose the chances are of Microsoft actually releasing something that is worth buying and using?

Dave, there are 50 viruses for Linux, and the best anti virus program is written for linux, and yet i can sit here and tell you that i have ran linux for 3 years now, and in those 3 years i have not heard a single person complaining about them or anyone they know complain about viruses on linux, infact this laptop has over 80 days uptime, running no antivirus programs, it is not infected yet, even though i've wondered into some corners of the internet that are a lot more shady then this one, and use it on about everyday basis to browse the net further (some P2P stuff going on, and so forth).

That pdf is angled at dumb people to get them to buy the product.

Now i should say this there are Trojans, but trojans are hardly classified as viruses, infact what most trojans on unix systems are, are rootkits, not a windows-like worm.

i can give you to a link of about 60 volnurabilities for OS X 10.4.8 and more for older versions, a lot of which are speciffic to certain software and not one as far as i can see to the kernel. Mac is not perfect, but it is still 99% more likely that that lady got pwned by a script kiddie from asia then her catching a real "Virus".

Now i will also not be surprised if Thors tells us that she told him that it was a virus, a virus is a common excuse of people that fix computers to explain to their customers as to what happened with all of their files, its the easiest thing to say... and rootkits in everyday people's terms is a virus.

Besides when i said that there are no viruses for mac, i was only speaking figuratively, if there are exploits, there could very easily be viruses, and there are or could exploits for everything, including your cell phone (maybe)!

Dave, there are 50 viruses for Linux, and the best anti virus program is written for linux . . .

Now i should say this there are Trojans, but trojans are hardly classified as viruses, infact what most trojans on unix systems are, are rootkits, not a windows-like worm.

i can give you to a link of about 60 volnurabilities for OS X 10.4.8 and more for older versions, a lot of which are speciffic to certain software and not one as far as i can see to the kernel. Mac is not perfect, but it is still 99% more likely that that lady got pwned by a script kiddie from asia then her catching a real "Virus".

Now i will also not be surprised if Thors tells us that she told him that it was a virus, a virus is a common excuse of people that fix computers to explain to their customers as to what happened with all of their files, its the easiest thing to say... and rootkits in everyday people's terms is a virus.

Besides when i said that there are no viruses for mac, i was only speaking figuratively

Perhaps this illustrations will help us to comprehend what is and is not a "virus". While no split is evident in the pictured hair...

Seen here is a photo of the 1918 Spanish Flu virus, one of the deadliest epidemics in modern history...

From what I have learned in this thread, if you catch this virus and are using any Microsoft product newer than DOS 2.1 you are very likely to die within 48 hours, along with your favorite pet; your family will become homeless, penniless wards of the state.

If however you catch this virus and are using OSX it will make your hair grow thicker if you are a man, and make you fit into a size 4 if you are a woman.

A Linus user who catches this virus can exchange it for a year of free meals from The Sizzler.

The spin makes me dizzy.

:doh:B :doh:i :doh:l :doh:l :shrug:

LOL, i was laughing for a while TBD, that was so funny on so many levels :hihi:

Here are a few more nasty critters you do not want to catch:

[img=http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38675000/jpg/_38675705_anthrax_bacteria300.jpg]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38675000/jpg/_38675705_anthrax_bacteria300.jpg[/img]

The old and by that still extremely dangerous

[img=http://www.raschart.com/images/SmallPox.jpg]http://www.raschart.com/images/SmallPox.jpg[/img]

And ofcourse the worst of them all with 90+% fatality:

[img=http://bepast.org/docs/photos/Plague/septicemic_plague_blood_culture_stain.jpg]http://bepast.org/docs/photos/Plague/septicemic_plague_blood_culture_stain.jpg[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

There has been alot of noise on the net about CAD progs not working on Vista. I am actively making CAD on Vista.

All you have to do is disable the Windows Aero theme, which interferes with CAD, and then it runs like a top. You have to have OpenGL capability, which has always been the case.

Honestly, at this point, I'm enjoying Vista enough that I wouldn't go back unless I had no choice.