Science Forums

Aah the joys of Vista

Yah, but you're a hacker and not one of those Steve-Jobs-Is-The-Second-Coming-Of-Christ true believers...

Wait!!! You mean you disagree that Steve Jobs is the second coming of Crist, i mean he absolutely is, and he is going to die for all you Windows users sins!!??!! All hail Steve, all hail Steve....

:agree:

I've just noticed a small problem with Vista and I'm not sure if it's to do with SP1 or what.

When I cut and paste from notepad into my web mail (language English American) the apostrophe's turn into question marks. This does not happen on Hypography. Has somebody swapped around the character sets lately?

I've just noticed a small problem with Vista and I'm not sure if it's to do with SP1 or what.

When I cut and paste from notepad into my web mail (language English American) the apostrophe's turn into question marks. This does not happen on Hypography. Has somebody swapped around the character sets lately?

I haven?t had that happen, what are you talking about'

:thumbs_up

:doh:

:hihi:

Perhaps the Vista version of Notepad uses some char. set other than basic text? Has this always happened, or is it a recent development?

I dont think its a direct swap Laurie, more like the place you pasted the text didnt have the apostrophe reference at all, so it just put a ?. I have seen it before, on XP.

Maybe the webmail designer was a strict grammarian and didn't like shortened words :thumbs_up.

Jay, firstly, i agree that microsoft would never admit, even the most blatant of all failures, that they failed. It did make them money, but anyone and everyone is complaining about their horriffic OS, and just about nobody on the corporate level wants to convert to it, and that is generally what constitutes a failure in the IT world.

Laurie, i never experienced that in any of my nix-based oses... it ocould be some symbol in the font that is an "extended" sybol, and an older version of the font just does not understand what that symbol is.....?

Laurie, i never experienced that in any of my nix-based oses... it ocould be some symbol in the font that is an "extended" sybol, and an older version of the font just does not understand what that symbol is.....?

Hi Alexander,

An apostrophe is not usually an extended character (CHR(39) in ASCII) because they appear in the second half of the character set.

BTW, ASCII stands for American Standard Code for Information Interchange.

The problem may lay in the character set used by notepad. Although they look similar, microsoft has changed notepad since XP. And there are signifficant changes, partly why the new notepad requires .net 2.0 etc. I beleive that the new notepad actually changes straight apostrophes (and quotes) with curly ones (because they look better)

Problem is the curly ones are totally not the same character, and the browser, which is ascii compliant does not know how to interpret the curly apostrophe (its not in the ascii char set) and puts a question mark there for "I dunno wth this character is". Same thing with that application...