Science Forums

Aah the joys of Vista

If you know me, you know how much sarcasm is packed behind the topic. I will not rant on the stupidity of the operating environment of Vista and the so-called DWM (Microsoft at its creative best, stands for Desktop Window Manager), it totally blows, take a look at Beryl and AIGLX project and if you are still not satisfied with windows that burn down when you close them or a transparent cube for desktop switching that has a panoramic 360% background, check out kibba dock and its rope model... and it still takes less resources then vista without having all shiny features enabled (470M).

So things that microsoft failed to fix before the release:

Resource Usage - if you thought XP was bad, you are in for a ride, Vista takes up 460-470 megs of ram after boot, with no shiny features enabled, and 660-670 megs of ram with all shiny features running (and shiny features are what microsoft-addicts are buying this memory hogg for)

File System - i really dont beleive that programmers working for microsoft are stupid, but can anyone explain to me WHY they can not write a single file system that does not fragment? So then why no need to defragmentat? Well it is hidden, but the system actually defrags the drives in the background of you using the computer... hmm... that wouldn't be why you need a 2.4GHZ+ processor and 2 gigs of ram to run this thing would it?

Selling Point - it is still "Buy this resource bohemyth and buy the newest hardware for it too"

Office - it needs to run on XP, it is a stupid decision to have it only operate in the Vista environment, someone please HACK it for the sake of all Windows users who will switch to Vista for Office

Confirmation Popups - don't get too carried away with trying to get something done, for the simplest tasks of viewing contents of directories you may need to click yes about 3 times... same goes for trying to browse the net and so forth...

...ugh... *walks away shaking his head*

And the pricing? Yikes! The games played with Office that alex mentioned are *necessary* to get people to move. Most of my big customers laugh about "Vista migration plans." One said, "yes, we have it scheduled for the next millenium since it will take that long to pay for it plus replace everyone's hardware."

What are they thinking?!?!?

Neo-con marketing,

Buffy

I just read recently on my repair receipt, that the place I bought my laptop from is offering free (or at least greatly reduced prices) upgrades to Vista. This has peaked my interest some. I have heard tons against it, seen many features for it, and cannot help but be curious about it. And I would like to try it, even if only once and for a month or so. Or maybe a couple weeks... I've really been into Half Life 2, and that requires me to shut down every non-essential program and visual style in Win XP. I can only imagine how much worse the situation will be with Aero on, or this so called other bloat you speak of.

I've really been into Half Life 2, and that requires me to shut down every non-essential program and visual style in Win XP. I can only imagine how much worse the situation will be with Aero on, or this so called other bloat you speak of.

If this is due to memory or video memory required by the game pushing your current system to the max, I definately wouldn't try it with Vista.

Vista is very visually intensive and a system that doesn't run well now, will run worse with Vista due to the higher demands of the operating system.

Personally, I am looking forward to trying it out. But will likely be waiting for a few months for the first few patches/service packs.

We are in the middle of rolling out new PC's to allof our North American facilities. We do this every 3 years. It is 50/50 if we use Vista in the next rollout. My computers at home are not capable of running Vista, so they will stay XP Home for the rest of their useful lives.

I look forward to using Vista, but it will probalby be some time. Lucky for me I can make myself one of the pilot testers for Vista when we trial it for work. I anticipate it will be well received in the end.

Bill

It will be "received," well or not. Its not an "if" but "when" and M$ will make sure of it. Oh well, Intel giveth and Microsoft taketh away. I see no real "advantages" yet that make me jump out of my seat. As a software developer though, having the .Net 2.0 libraries pre-installed will make life much easier....

FYA: Vista's Nine most annoying features from PCMag...

Love-Hate Relationship,

Buffy

I remember when Windows 95 was all the rage. I read magazines that went over themselves with pride of being able to show screenshots of a start menu that filled the screen...and a desktop that actually had a purpose (as opposed to Win 3.1 which was just a background for windows - couldn't place shortcuts anywhere IIRC - the Program Manager was all you got).

I am a sucker for new stuff so I see myself jumping on the Vista bandwagon pretty soon. I went Win 95 when it was launched, Win ME when it was launched (lots of fun that was!), had Win 2K at work and I got Win XP the moment it was launched.

But the Vista prices...the prices...:turtle:

I would be infracted were I to share my true feelings about watching that clip... Suffice it to say I can only try to live a normal life after this, but years of therapy will be required. *shudders*

Oh, he didn't just go there. :D

He did, and I'm lovin' it. Two Linux zingers in a week T, you rock! :soapbox:

Well, I have come up with a slogan that will help spread Linux, if it was to become commercialized.

"Linux, you can't even pirate the software! How can you pirate something that is already Free?"

Unlike Windows, Linux, and needless to say that linux is not the term that should be used here, Window Managers and Operating Environments that run on Linux had to copy some features to make the OS more wide-spread and used by the public. However Linux has gone far beyond Vista and OS X in their Beryl + AIGLX project, the shinyness is unmatched and the resources used are nowhere near Vista or OS X...