Science Forums

Coffee

Almost like a mocha, except that I believe mochas usually have chocolate, milk, sugar, and the espresso mixed together. Sometimes dusted with cocoa or topped with whip cream, etc, or chocolate syrups. What I drink is just the coffee + cocoa. I think there's some evidence that milk fats and proteins may also bind to the antioxidants, limiting absorption, so that's why I skip mixing it into this concoction.

• 2 months later...
Starbucks chain 'baling out' of Australia

Starbucks chain 'baling out' of Australia | Business | News.com.au

When you have a Greek, Turkish and Italian population, this was inevitable for crap coffee

Starbucks only lasted a couple of years in Adelaide. I thought it would be popular but I don't know anyone who drinks there. Oh well, there are plenty more coffee shops around.

I believe you. It's just that whiskey tends to cost upwards of $60 (USD) a bottle over here so it's a luxury commodity. :hyper:

No no no! :fly: It's a life saver! I have no time to waste on brewing coffee...boil water and enjoy the instant stuff. Spend time with kids. Fall asleep on sofa, exhausted. Wake up and watch children's TV (while the kids run around the house doing everything else). That's my daily afternoon routine.

There is no need for instant coffee when you can nuke the remnants of last nights pot;) Besides good dripmakers have clocks that can be set to make you fresh at any time you chose. Instant coffee is what people that don't drink coffee keep on hand for those that do. (and man I've seen some pretty old jars of the stuff.....YUK!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what this stuff is about "fatigue toxins," but Coffee does directly stimulate muscles by increasing glycogen availability and is good before a workout in moderation:

Post-exercise caffeine helps muscles refuel

It also can be literally used as a thighcream to reduce stubborn fat:

Caffeine cream tones thighs

Apparently it may have positive benefits for alzheimers too:

A coffee with your doughnut could protect against Alzheimer's disease

Potentially prevents multiple sclerosis:

Caffeine prevents multiple sclerosis-like disease in mice

Caveat... It may cause miscarriages:

Coffee can double risk of miscarriage - health - 21 January 2008 - New Scientist

Caveat... It may raise blood sugar, and thus not be advised for diabetics:

Diabetes Sufferers: Beware Of Caffeine, Study Shows Caffeine Elevates Blood Glucose Levels in People With Diabetes - CBS News

As in with all things... Moderation is key. Also a side note, I have an enormous compendium of all my knowledge available in my delicious.com bookmarks. I don't know if any of you use that service, but it's great for keeping little tidbits on subject matter that you can't expend the mental energy to memorize but might want to refer back to. I've bookmarked something like 1,400 pages with comprehensive descriptions that are searchable and exportable to my hard drive. It's nifty. (That's where I got all these links) I'm mentioning this in hopes that maybe some of you knowledgable guys use it too, and we can hook up and share info. I love mining the net for good information for later... I'm really becoming somewhat of a sort of trivia king.

Funny interactive joke cards - virtual greeting cards humorous free from Cartoline.net

"See "take a coffe break"

I must admit that I had a wonderful cup of coffee on a French Expressway for 2F.

I was busily writing down the name of the manufacturer when my wife came over

'What are you doing?"

'I am going to import these machines into Australia'

Even automatically the French get it right

Viva la Revolution!

How come we have two "Coffee" threads?
This is the thread where people can talk about how bad coffee is for you.

The 14954 is the one where you can say that you don't care and that you love coffee anyway! :hihi:

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee, :naughty:

Buffy

Starbucks chain 'baling out' of Australia

Starbucks chain 'baling out' of Australia | Business | News.com.au

When you have a Greek, Turkish and Italian population, this was inevitable for crap coffee

If by any chance you're missing Starbucks, here's a free recipe e-book:

Free Starbucks Coffee Recipe E-Book

The 14954 is the one where you can say that you don't care and that you love coffee anyway! :naughty:

Access denied.

Access denied.

Sorry about that: transposed digits in the link...both fixed now! :hihi:

Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing, :naughty:

Buffy

• 6 months later...

Energy drinks kill our buzz

Monday, 02 March 2009

University of Tasmania

The research suggests regular old coffee

may be better at keeping you alert than

energy drinks.

Caffeine really does keep you awake and alert, but energy drinks may have the opposite effect, a University of Tasmania study has found.

People often resort to caffeine through coffee or taurine through energy drinks to help perform complex tasks such as driving when tired. But how well do they actually work?

. .

A combination of caffeine and taurine improve performance only in the early stages of

information processing, which involve recognition.

But in the later stages of processing, when used together, taurine decreases the effectiveness of caffeine, the research has found.

“Therefore overall synthetic taurine acts as a stimulant with caffeine at early stages of processing but has an inhibitory effect on caffeine at later processing stages,” Ms Peacock said.

Energy drinks kill our buzz(ScienceAlert)

What is taurine?

Is it in Energy drinks?

Is it not in coffee or tea?

Why is it added to"energy' drinks?

Taurine, or 2-aminoethanesulfonic acid, is an organic ac

Artificial taurine and caffeine: a deadly mix. Why? Probably because of a coincidence 20 years ago. Someone at Red Bull, for whatever reason, added Taurine to their drink and over time, this became the Bull Standard. Close to 10 billion cans of energy drinks are produced every year (more than one for everyone of the planet!). Surprising when one considers the toxic mix of chemicals contained in this product. We definatley enjoy following the crowd!

Several studies indicate that taurine and caffeine together are a highly toxic mix . So taurine in energy drinks apparently is not only useless, several studies seem to indicate that it is actually damaging for your health, especially when it is synthetic .

Tresor Yakro Taurine and Coffee - Strange Bedfellows

A study of 30 university students aged between 20 and 24 years old found that drinking just one 250ml sugar-free can of the caffeinated energy drink increased the “stickiness” of the blood and raised the risk of blood clots forming.

Using tests to measure blood pressure and the state of blood vessels around the body, the Australian researchers said that after drinking one can participants had shown a cardiovascular profile similar to that of someone with heart disease.

Red Bull gives you wings - and heart trouble? - Times Online

Taurine

Taurine is a low-molecular-weight amino acid, which is formed in the body as an end product of methionine and cysteine metabolism. Meat, fish and shellfish contain high levels of taurine. It is rare in plants, with the exception of some beans and nuts. Taurine is also found in mushrooms. The human body also synthesises taurine to some extent.

Taurine is present in high levels in the brain, where it is presumed to act as a neurotransmitter. Taurine is known to influence the central nervous system by e.g. causing seizures, as well as affecting excretion of hormones, pain sensation and the heat regulation ability of the body. In addition to the brain, taurine is also present in the retina, in cardiac and skeletal muscle tissue, as well as in the bile where it participates in the forming of bile acids. Taurine is also excreted in breast milk, which is why it is added in infant formulae.

No recommended values for intake of taurine from nutrition have been specified. The average intake of taurine from nutrition is ca. 100 mg/day. The taurine content of energy drinks varies between 250 mg/l and 4000 mg/l. The influence of taurine added in drinks has not been established. Taurine is not known to have any detrimental side effects, and for this reason it has not been possible to determine a maximum intake value for taurine.

Stimulant compounds in energy drinks - Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira

• 2 months later...

The 14954 is the one where you can say that you don't care and that you love coffee anyway! :confused:

If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee, :confused:

Buffy

This shows it IS good for you and long as you don't do something really stupid like stopping drinking it.

This is Your Brain On Caffeine

The team demonstrated that stopping daily caffeine consumption produces changes in cerebral blood flow velocity and quantitative EEG that are likely related to the classic caffeine withdrawal symptoms of headache, drowsiness and decreased alertness. More specifically, acute caffeine abstinence increased brain blood flow, an effect that may account for commonly reported withdrawal headaches.

Acute caffeine abstinence also produced changes in EEG (increased theta rhythm) that has previously been linked to the common withdrawal symptom of fatigue. Consistent with this, volunteers reported increases in measures of “tired,” “fatigue,” “sluggish” and “weary.” Overall, these findings provide the most rigorous demonstration to date of physiological effects of caffeine withdrawal.

This is Your Brain On Caffeine

Wow people get paid money for research like this?

This has really expanded the boundaries of man's knowledge :confused:

• 4 months later...

Snack Size Science: Coffee stirs up gut health promise

The researchers spilled the beans on their study in the International Journal of Food Microbiology. They report that drinking a few cups of instant a day may produce a micro-floral bloom of Bifidobacteria in the gut, a group of bacteria reputed to have beneficial effects.

The three-week study involved 16 healthy adult volunteers drinking three cups of coffee a day, which is double the global average of one and a half cups a day, but slightly less than the US average of more than three and a half cups.

While the brew has already been reported to cut the risks of certain diseases, especially of the liver and diabetes, it may be too early to hail coffee as a prebiotic. Lead researcher Rodrigo Bibiloni told me they have only shown a bifido-boosting effect, and not a health benefit associated with this, so we can’t consider coffee or its constituents as a prebiotic just yet.

Snack Size Science: Coffee stirs up gut health promise